Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut water as post-workout drink? page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Coconut water as post-workout drink?

Primal Fuel
    Is coconut water (Vita Coco - 100% coconut water) a good choice for a post-workout drink? Today's CF was HIIT with wall ball, box jumps, KB, running and burpees. The thought of eating after that didn't work for me, but I drank a box (2 servings - total 22 g carb, 90 cal, 1000+ mg potassium) of Vita Coco and feel pretty good. Before I stock the fridge with more coconut water, I thought I'd ask the group. Yea? Nay?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i would say nay. if you're thirst after working out, drink water. what you need though, in some reasonable time frame, is nutrition - more than just carbs and electrolytes; protein.

i don't care for protein powder or shakes, but if you were to blend the coconut water with some quality whey, that would make more sense to me.

i would just wait an hour and make a proper meal. i'd be hungry by that point, too!

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Jakey -- I appreciate the advice.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I like it, but I don't have any justification for it. I drink it when I'm thirsty after working out as a substitute for water. It's usually something to make me not thirsty while I'm cooking my dinner.

*Edit* I don't do protein powders. I just don't see the point. I drink the coconut water because.... well... yeah.
    J.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I also vote nay. I like coconut water, and I've found that after a long run it can be incredibly refreshing, especially if you get a "flavored" one like mango or pineapple (which have a little extra sugar due to the mango or pineapple juice that's been added -- but that's no big deal after a workout).

But unfortunately it's expensive, and not worth it in my opinion. Tap water is free, and I like it just fine anyway. Also, Jakey is totally correct, coconut water won't give you any of the really important stuff for recovery (protein, etc). That stuff will come from your food.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I sweat a lot at work, and on long days, I do find it helpful. If I don't replace the eletrolytes, I can end up with a pretty good headache, but not if I drink some coconut water.

I generally just have one of the 11 oz packs. More than that and I think you're just wasting money. I know Costco had them in 12 packs for about $15 last summer. I'm not sure if they still do.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I think you answered your own question. If it makes you feel good by all means have one. There is nothing wrong with coconut water (as long as there is no other bullshit added). Water gets boring.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It has a good whack of potassium in it, more than some sports drinks I've seen, and not much sugar in the basic flavor, so if you are really dehydrated it might be helpful. But it won't ever be a "recovery" drink, just a water substitute. I'm taking some coconut water powder out backpacking in case I need a bit of electrolyte on the hike.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Personally I use coconut water if I'm overly sore or just wiped from a workout. I probably drink a small carton 2 times a wk. it also helps w stomach aches and helps w my TOM. Yes, it's refreshing but can be over consumed.... Just use it when you need a lift

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I actually wonder if you need a "post-workout" meal at all. Of course you need to eat somewhere after a workout otherwise you evetually die. But I think any good primal meal which you also eat non-postworkout is just as suitable as postworkout. So coconut water is cool I guess but why not a full meal?
    Billie trips balls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast