Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fage 0% greek yogurt question. Also a question about stevia. page

Fage 0% greek yogurt question. Also a question about stevia.

Primal Fuel
    Does fage 0% have the same nutritional profile as the varieties with more fat? The only sotres around me who carry fage only do so in the 0% and I want to eat more yogurt but ive read that taking the fat out of such things makes them worse for you than some non-primal things.

and does stevia raise insulin levels? if im intermittent fasting and a put a little lemon juice and a stevia packet, just stevia and vegetable inulin, would that screw things up?

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    1. From everything I've read, full-fat dairy would be better. I'm annoyed with that, because I LOVE Fage Greek yogurt, but no one anywhere around me carries anything but the 0% either. I did find full-fat Greek Gods yogurt at one grocery store, which isn't quite as good but close enough. I wonder if your grocery store would carry it if you asked them to.

2. If I remember correctly, stevia doesn't spike your insulin like other sugars, but I think there is somewhat of an insulin response to anything that tastes sweet. I'm not sure about that though. For me personally, I wouldn't consume anything that tastes sweet during a fast, but you might have different results. Try it. If you crash, then you know the answer.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I was surprised to find fage full fat at my whole foods, nestled in there looking just like the low and fat free versions. Have you tried looking at your health foods store? Otherwise, I would avoid it personally...

With the stevia, perhaps a liquid is better during fasting so you don't get that inulin, but that's just my instinct.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    The last time I checked, the Fage website didn't show full-fat products, just the 0 and 2%. I'd be very stoked if there were high-fat plain Fage.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I buy it all the time. It's called Fage Total. If my store is out of Total I buy a regular full fat yoghurt like Dannon, the I take a piece of cheesecloth and a strainer and dump in the yoghurt. In a few hours you have a bowl of whey and a strainer full of Greek style yoghurt.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    The last time I checked, the Fage website didn't show full-fat products, just the 0 and 2%. I'd be very stoked if there were high-fat plain Fage.
    There is a 5% but I don't know if that's full far because traditional greek yogurt has 10%
    Billie trips balls

Yes, the Fage full-fat version is called FAGE Total Greek Yogurt (google it!). It is so delicious. They carry it at my local Whole Foods, but that's the only place I've found it. People have suggested asking your grocery's customer service to add it to their stock, and if enough people ask, they will. I've never tried this, though.
    Check out this NPR article on how Dannon, Yoplait, etc. are essentially faking their greek yogurt. They are putting additives in regular yogurt to make it thicker. Ugh.
    High-Tech Shortcut To Greek Yogurt Leaves Purists Fuming : The Salt : NPR

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From the reading, one of the reasons Mark recommends full fat is that often protein and fat go down and carbs go up in in these "diet" 0% fat products. I'm looking online and while I can't find any one site that compares equal sizes, it doesn't look like you lose too much protein (~1 gram), and there doesn't seem to be an increase in the carbs for the Fage 0% brand.

Don't trust my math, though - I've only had one cup of coffee and just realized it's Friday. The Fage website has all the info on ingredients and nutrients for all their yogurt products.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand there really isn't any nutritional difference between the 0% and full fat. With the 0% they just take the fat out. The carbs and protein are identical. But it does suck that most places don't carry the full fat. It tastes so much better than the 0% it is ridiculous.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I might have to try making my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast