Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fage 0% greek yogurt question. Also a question about stevia. page 2

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I don't have a Whole Foods by me, but we're **finally** getting a Trader Joe's in two weeks -- with luck, they'll carry Fage Total there. Thanks for letting me know that such a beast exists!

cookiemonster is offline Member
    I love fat filled Greek yogurt -it is manna from heaven and until I moved to Raleigh. NC -all I had for a brief shiny moment was Cabot's 10% fat Greek yogurt and it was freaking delicious, the cat's meow- found at the Food Lion in the Eastern part of NC. I would load up on the stuff -, but I as expected since I probably was the only one buying it in this fat phobic society, they stopped carrying it! (I think I cried for several days )
    Now being in Raleigh-I have greater access to Fage and Trader Joes brand of whole fat greek yogurt.
    Please don't get those low fat versions-as I think someone said-you're better off just getting some whole milk regular yogurt-Dannon or something like that which even Wal-Mart carries-and don't worry whole milk or fat products never run out in today's world because you know fat causes you to get fat and causes massive heart failure!!!!!
    Peace

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    The fat free yogurt I buy is exact same as normal organic yogurt, but without the fat. Depending on the milk quality you might be better with fat-free. I usually have a bowl of fat free yogurt with a few scoops of goats greek yogurt and some fruit. Higher protein lower calories and tastes as good.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    I might have to try making my own.
    Ah yep...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... I get the Fage Total at my local grocery store (part of the Kroger chain). Didn't realize that it is not available everywhere. The Greek Gods full-fat yogurt seems to be everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by butterphly01 View Post
    Yes, the Fage full-fat version is called FAGE Total Greek Yogurt (google it!). It is so delicious. They carry it at my local Whole Foods, but that's the only place I've found it. People have suggested asking your grocery's customer service to add it to their stock, and if enough people ask, they will. I've never tried this, though. Check out this NPR article on how Dannon, Yoplait, etc. are essentially faking their greek yogurt. They are putting additives in regular yogurt to make it thicker. Ugh. High-Tech Shortcut To Greek Yogurt Leaves Purists Fuming : The Salt : NPR
    Greek yogurt is yet another food health craze, much like oat bran to lower cholesterol years/decades ago... It's a cash cow for the companies making it, as can be evidenced from fake Greek yogurts & higher prices from the major players like Dannon, Yoplait etc.

Drain your own homemade yogurt once or twice, save the liquid whey for fermenting other foods & you've just made your own greek-style yogurt for about 1/4 the cost.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've experimented with making my own yogurt. I had the best results with low-fat milk and really awful results with high-fat milk. It's like the cream went bad.

What I would do is go ahead and get the non-fat FAGE and also buy a container of creme fraiche or sour cream and just add it to the yogurt.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've experimented with making my own yogurt. I had the best results with low-fat milk and really awful results with high-fat milk. It's like the cream went bad.

What I would do is go ahead and get the non-fat FAGE and also buy a container of creme fraiche or sour cream and just add it to the yogurt.
    Oh yeah, I've had the full fat go "off" a couple of times. No rhyme or reason why one batch went off then the next didn't. My fat kinda curdled & got all wrinkly on top, but wasn't weird or fizzy tasting, just weird looking. The yogurt itself didn't thicken evenly & was fizzy. I ate it & lived to tell the tale... Next batch was fine, normal. I've used kefir granules too to make my own home brew of fermented dairy. It's healthier with hardier bacteria, but I just like the taste & experience of yogurt. Plus making yogurt is faster.

Btw, I found some Bulgarian lacto-bacili fermented sheep cheese @ my local Korean grocer. I was on a bike ride & its hella hot here today, so I'll go back some day soon & get some. They had all sorts of goat/sheep & cow fermented stuff from Bulgaria, they really know their stuff, the Bulgarians that is....

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I don't have a Whole Foods by me, but we're **finally** getting a Trader Joe's in two weeks -- with luck, they'll carry Fage Total there. Thanks for letting me know that such a beast exists!

nope but they do have their own line of greek yogurt which includes a plain full-fat version (annoyingly similarly packaged to the nonfat version, so check carefully)

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Go to the regular grocery store and look for Cabot of Vermont. They make full-fat greek yogurt too. The full-fat (10%) comes in a blue container. I don't think it's organic, but there it is; we can't have everything.

Stevia strikes me as a false alarm for insulin. The sweet taste triggers insulin, but there's NO blood sugar around, so the insulin disappears; i.e. a spike instead of sustained elevated levels. Is this false alarm spike a bad thing?
    Last edited by oxide; 07-29-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: had to put in the "no"
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast