Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who loved to bake... page 2

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I'm starting to get back into baking, I really missed it. Right now I'm sticking with paleo-type stuff using coconut flour and such. I have relatives that swear they are allergic to gluten so I get the fun of baking and then I pass the goodies on to them after sampling one. This way I get the fun of baking but don't have all the extra loot lying around begging to be eaten.

Not sure what I am going to do when cold weather gets here. I used to love making a big pot of thick, beefy stew and a loaf of crusty bread. And cinnamon rolls for breakfast, cakes and pies for dessert...*sigh* cold weather baking has a lot more tradition in my family as well. Oh well, will cross that bridge when we get there.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Hey Kaeylee thanks for the candy recipes When I said I bake I meant with coconut etc. I have even used weird combos that no one would imagine to make breads and yes cinnamon rolls It can be done completely gluten free and grain free ! Don't despair.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    I never really baked before, but tonight I made an apple crisp from a recipe in "Paleo Comfort Foods". My fiancee, who is not primal (though I think I'm slowly turning her...lol), loved it. Here goes:

Ingredients:

1 cup almond flour
    1 cup finely chopped pecans
    3 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/3 cup coconut oil or butter
    2 tablespoons honey (optional)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    5-6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
    juice of 1 lemon

Method:

1. Heat oven to 350.
    2. Combine almond flour, pecans, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
    3. In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil or butter, honey, and vanilla. Mix into the flour/pecan mixture.
    4. Scatter apple slices in 9 inch by 9 inch baking dish. Add the lemon juice and the other teaspoon of cinnamon and combine well.
    5. Spread the flour/pecan mixture over the apples. (This is easier said than done, since the mixture is very sticky if you use honey. Patience is called for.)
    6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
    7. Remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes more or until topping is browned.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Hey Kaeylee thanks for the candy recipes When I said I bake I meant with coconut etc. I have even used weird combos that no one would imagine to make breads and yes cinnamon rolls It can be done completely gluten free and grain free ! Don't despair.
    Love your blog! I just bookmarked several recipes to try. . When you say "alternative flour", does that mean coconut or almond? Either ? Both?

I made an improvised berry crumble last night. Just cut some very cold butter into a coconut/almond flour mix with a heavy dose of cinnamon and some nutmeg and lightly sprinkled it over a blueberry/blackberry mix. Baked it at 350 until bubbly. It wasn't as heavy as a traditional crumble. Just a little crust on top of warm berries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
    I never really baked before, but tonight I made an apple crisp from a recipe in "Paleo Comfort Foods". My fiancee, who is not primal (though I think I'm slowly turning her...lol), loved it. Here goes:

Ingredients:

1 cup almond flour
    1 cup finely chopped pecans
    3 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/3 cup coconut oil or butter
    2 tablespoons honey (optional)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    5-6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
    juice of 1 lemon

Method:

1. Heat oven to 350.
    2. Combine almond flour, pecans, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
    3. In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil or butter, honey, and vanilla. Mix into the flour/pecan mixture.
    4. Scatter apple slices in 9 inch by 9 inch baking dish. Add the lemon juice and the other teaspoon of cinnamon and combine well.
    5. Spread the flour/pecan mixture over the apples. (This is easier said than done, since the mixture is very sticky if you use honey. Patience is called for.)
    6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
    7. Remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes more or until topping is browned.
    Yum! What a great recipe for the fall! We pick all our own apples September through October so I will be making this for sure.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    i also love to bake muffins, cupcakes, breads, etc.
    i do not bake with any grains, however, such as rice or corn flour.
    i use all primal ingredients such as almond flour or coconut flour.
    check out my blog if you'd like to sort through the library!
    Eat the cookie! | before the cookie eats you…
    there is a wealth of grain-free baking blogs out there, the internet is your oyster!

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    i also love to bake muffins, cupcakes, breads, etc.
    i do not bake with any grains, however, such as rice or corn flour.
    i use all primal ingredients such as almond flour or coconut flour.
    check out my blog if you'd like to sort through the library!
    Eat the cookie! | before the cookie eats you…
    there is a wealth of grain-free baking blogs out there, the internet is your oyster!
    Cookie, I made your waffles this morning! If you check my journal, I posted a link to your blog for the almond and peach waffles. Small world!

cookie is offline Senior Member
    oh yay! that was you!!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Yes but the smell of fresh baked wheat bread...can't replace it (even though it tastes like cardboard).

Did you say cinnamon rolls? *wanders over to the site*
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I loved to bake--last Christmas my daughter and I did 12 different desserts for the 12 days of Christmas. Now I make cheesecake like this Deep Language: no sugar added chocolate cheesecake or this Deep Language: No Added Sugar Banana Cheesecake or chocolate mousse (which isn't baked). I have used almond and coconut flour but I prefer to avoid them. I haven't made them again but these nut cookies were pretty good: Deep Language: Nut cookies

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast