Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many cans of tuna . . .? page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

How many cans of tuna . . .?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How many average sized cans of tuna, not little mini ones or big family sized ones, would it take to satisfy my need for Omega 3? Not a big fish eater but I'm working on it, I can manage tuna salad, whole can each, using bell pepper "scoops" suggested by another poster, about twice a week.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    You'd be better off with an occasional can of sardines. They real don't taste much different than tuna.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    most tuna from a can has basically no fat. teh high-end brands may in fact contain the omega3 they tout on the label, but that's certainly the exception and not the rule.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Agreed. Or get canned mackerel. Or frozen, it's usually cheaper.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would go with sardines as well, about a can a day & I like it more than tuna, less dry. Though I like my tuna with horseradish or avocado.... Or smoked salmon. Or soup from salmon heads and trimmings, and eat the fatty parts of the head, oh, my! Mmgh.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

emerson is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    How many average sized cans of tuna, not little mini ones or big family sized ones, would it take to satisfy my need for Omega 3? Not a big fish eater but I'm working on it, I can manage tuna salad, whole can each, using bell pepper "scoops" suggested by another poster, about twice a week.
    I eat three or four cans of tuna, salmon or sardines a week if not supplementing. Personally I like Wild Planet, seem well sourced and even if the canning seems suspect the explanation is reasonable.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    NRDC: Mercury Contamination in Fish - Eating Tuna Safely

careful with tuna -- mercury, ya know?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    NRDC: Mercury Contamination in Fish - Eating Tuna Safely

careful with tuna -- mercury, ya know?
    There is contention on mercury in fish. Some mercury is from presumably pollution, but some comes from the actual natural processes of the Earth--I think the Mid Atlantic Ridge is one place. At least for the the latter and possibly the former, the fish has something else in it that blocks the absorption of the mercury when you eat it. Sorry for the vagueness. That should be a good start if you wanted to do more research.

peril is offline Senior Member
    ^ Selenium. Not sure how preventive it really is

Also there is huge variation in the amount of O3 in canned tuna. I go for albacore, which is the best I've found for O3. I have four or five cans of fish per week, mixing it up between albacore, red salmon, sardines, sardine sprats and mackerel. All taste good
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    What about those of us who can't stand the taste of seafood? I'm weird, I know, but I HATE seafood. Can't even stand to be around the smell of it and yes, I've tried various different items cooked various ways.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast