Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How many cans of tuna . . .? page 4

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i could see making a sort of asian-inspired soup with them -- coconut milk, lime zest, lemongrass, chili sauce, etc.
    That is an outstanding idea!
    Last edited by Pamsc; 07-29-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: html error

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    trader joe's sells plenty of frozen, non-breaded, fish filets, if there is one near you. living in new england, i have access to excellent fresh fish, so never buy anything frozen besides shrimp.
    We do have a Trader Joes close by. I can check there. Thanks.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I was just at a naturopath this morning and asked what she recommended as far as tuna consumption. She said to stay away from the albacore and go for the flaked tuna, as the flaked usually comes from smaller fish. She said to try not to have more than 1 can per week. I think that's pretty conservative, but I just thought I'd share.

Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    I was just at a naturopath this morning and asked what she recommended as far as tuna consumption. She said to stay away from the albacore and go for the flaked tuna, as the flaked usually comes from smaller fish. She said to try not to have more than 1 can per week. I think that's pretty conservative, but I just thought I'd share.
    Thanks for asking her. I had planned on 1 to 2 per week.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    trader joe's also has wild salmon, in cans, reasonably priced. the pink is less strong-tasting than the red.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

trader joe's also has wild salmon, in cans, reasonably priced. the pink is less strong-tasting than the red.
    Thanks, good to know.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    What type of fish is it? - Safcol Australia
    this is the tuna I buy.

How does mercury come into it?

OK in case anyone is interested, I contacted the company for the tuna I buy about mercury and BPA, and this is their response:
    Thank you for your email. Our Technical Services Manager has advised the following:

Our can manufacturer has confirmed that there is no BPA used in the manufacture of our products. Our products are safe to consume. High levels of mercury are accumulated in larger fish in particular fresh fish such as Swordfish, Flake and Shark. The Australian Food Standards Code requires the mercury limit in our product to be less than 0.5mg/kg. Testing has shown our levels to be well under this. Mercury levels in our canned products are well below the legal limit.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Canned tuna is not the best source of healthy fat so go for sardines instead! Canned sardines are excellent and can be used in soups and you will hardly guess that there is any sardines in it at all. Personally I am not very fond of the sardine taste, but I eat a 425 grams can of sardines in tomato sauce per week anyway for the great health benefits! I mash the tomato sause and sardines to a pasta and use it in soups, and you can freeze down the rest in portions after opening a can....

I feed sardines to my cats occasionally, not sure i could make myself eat them. May try someday though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast