Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many cans of tuna . . .? page 3

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    How many average sized cans of tuna, not little mini ones or big family sized ones, would it take to satisfy my need for Omega 3? Not a big fish eater but I'm working on it, I can manage tuna salad, whole can each, using bell pepper "scoops" suggested by another poster, about twice a week.
    Why don't you just take a supplement? Tuna is actually pretty low in Omega 3 vs. other fish anyway. Plus if you stop eating the canned tuna you'll lower your BPA consumption. Most canned foods have high levels of BPA in them because of the packaging so even if you were eating canned fish with extra omega3, you're kind of defeating the purpose by ingesting all the extra estrogen mimicking chemicals.

...I'm just saying.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Albacore is the largest of tuna and has the greatest amount of mercury -- it is the type of tuna I avoid the most. Jack Tuna comes from smaller tuna fish and has less mercury. A good friend of mine is a grocery store manager and we've had many discussions about types of tuna to eat. Eating 2-3 cans of tuna per week is harmless...any more than that, then you are looking at increasing mercury levels. As a substitute, try eating Kippers --- high in Omega oils, and tastes great when drenched in butter.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    As a change, try the tins of smoked oysters. I carry a few tins in my purse in case of hunger --- no can opener required as it's a 'pop top'.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

peril is offline Senior Member
    For a discussion of the tradeoff between O3 and Mg intake in eating fish, see Elsevier In short, they don't recommend against eating canned fish because the O3 benefit outweighs the mercury risk. Exceptions are for children and women who are bearing or may bear children

Albacore is a mid-size tuna (yellowfin spp and bluefin spp are typically bigger). However, in the USA at least, it is the species that tests highest for Mg in canned fish
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Why don't you just take a supplement? Tuna is actually pretty low in Omega 3 vs. other fish anyway. Plus if you stop eating the canned tuna you'll lower your BPA consumption. Most canned foods have high levels of BPA in them because of the packaging so even if you were eating canned fish with extra omega3, you're kind of defeating the purpose by ingesting all the extra estrogen mimicking chemicals.

...I'm just saying.
    But good "saying". I'll consider it. I tried to figure out the DHA and EPA ?) so I was taking the correct amount. I don't think I ever got it right and decided it was easier to just eat fish. If you or anyone else knows the correct amount and a good, reasonably priced supplement, I'd far rather do that. Thanks.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Are canned clams healthy? I can see making a primal (with dairy) chowder--shallot browned in butter, grated lemon rind, a can of clams, heavy cream, maybe some bacon. I live in a fairly rural area not close to the ocean so I'm not comfortable with the quality of most of the seafood I can get here. I don't want to eat oysters (or clams) that came from polluted areas of the Gulf of Mexico. Does Whole Foods have frozen clams (not in the shell)?

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    Are canned clams healthy? I can see making a primal (with dairy) chowder--shallot browned in butter, grated lemon rind, a can of clams, heavy cream, maybe some bacon. I live in a fairly rural area not close to the ocean so I'm not comfortable with the quality of most of the seafood I can get here. I don't want to eat oysters (or clams) that came from polluted areas of the Gulf of Mexico. Does Whole Foods have frozen clams (not in the shell)?
    I'd love to see an answer to this too.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i have seen frozen oysters, mussels and clams in asian markets, but not in more western-style markets. they simply do not take well to freezing.

canned clams pretty much have the texture of pencil erasers, so i'm not a big fan of those either.

trader joe's sells plenty of frozen, non-breaded, fish filets, if there is one near you. living in new england, i have access to excellent fresh fish, so never buy anything frozen besides shrimp.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I get to spend my summer vacation on the coast in New England, which is what spoils me for seafood elsewhere. But the nutritional value of clams is so dramatic that I can see making something with canned clams and tasty ingredients if I would still get the benefits and not a lot of contamination. We do have Trader Joes 45 minutes away but my husband won't eat fish that has been frozen.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i could see making a sort of asian-inspired soup with them -- coconut milk, lime zest, lemongrass, chili sauce, etc.

i do enjoy smoked oysters sometimes.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 07-29-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast