Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many cans of tuna . . .? page 2

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Do you like olive oil? Get the fish packed in it and that's a big influence on what you taste.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinNM View Post
    What about those of us who can't stand the taste of seafood? I'm weird, I know, but I HATE seafood. Can't even stand to be around the smell of it and yes, I've tried various different items cooked various ways.
    My husband couldn't stand the taste of liver and dosed it with ketchup. I rather not eat tuna but it's the easiest to get down. I make tuna salad. The mayo, sweet relish, onion, celery and bell peppers plus salt and pepper helps a lot.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    My husband couldn't stand the taste of liver and dosed it with ketchup. I rather not eat tuna but it's the easiest to get down. I make tuna salad. The mayo, sweet relish, onion, celery and bell peppers plus salt and pepper helps a lot.

I don't understand the point of eating food one does not like. If one has to force something down, or douse it in something else to make it palatable, it seems pointless. Food, aside from nourishing your body, should also be about enjoyment. I thought that was one of the points of "primal." No more crappy, dry, tasteless food, but real, whole, delicious food the way nature intended it. If I don't like it, I don't eat it. There is plenty of other good food out there for me to enjoy.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    I don't understand the point of eating food one does not like. If one has to force something down, or douse it in something else to make it palatable, it seems pointless. Food, aside from nourishing your body, should also be about enjoyment. I thought that was one of the points of "primal." No more crappy, dry, tasteless food, but real, whole, delicious food the way nature intended it. If I don't like it, I don't eat it. There is plenty of other good food out there for me to enjoy.
    As a boy, my husband's mom was very firm about eating what was in front of you. He had to eat it but ketchup was tolerated. The one time she insisted he eat oyster stew the outcome, at the table yet, was messy. Never had to eat it again. As for me, I want to increase my omega 3s. Once or twice weekly, a meal of tuna salad is inexpensive as well as healthy. I love shrimp but it's also pricey.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    pastured eggs are a good source of omega-3. i can't tolerate the smell of canned tuna, but i do love it sashimi style or as a grilled steak.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    pastured eggs are a good source of omega-3. i can't tolerate the smell of canned tuna, but i do love it sashimi style or as a grilled steak.
    Some many mention how much they enjoy eating fish. I'm not one of them. I am concerned about my omega 3 levels since I eat a lot of beef. I intend to slowly expand the variety of fish I eat. I would like to find some frozen fish that isn't breaded or sauced, something similar to how Gorton's is packaged, that I can just heat quickly. I just Googled Gorton's to be sure the name is spelled right and I notice they offer a great variety of fish, some of which looks like it hasn't been breaded.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried clams? They have a relatively neutral flavor.

It's hard for me to advise because I love all sea food with the exception of lobster, and I have never tried oysters.

EDIT: I also love liver. (Sigh)

BUT! Yes, I can relate in some way, because I hate olives. But I can tolerate some green olives now & actually like them. Not black yet.

On the other hand, I don't like sweet potatoes, so I don't eat them often. Not that I gag or anything....
    Last edited by Leida; 07-28-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Have you tried clams? They have a relatively neutral flavor.

It's hard for me to advise because I love all sea food with the exception of lobster, and I have never tried oysters.

EDIT: I also love liver. (Sigh)

BUT! Yes, I can relate in some way, because I hate olives. But I can tolerate some green olives now & actually like them. Not black yet.

On the other hand, I don't like sweet potatoes, so I don't eat them often. Not that I gag or anything....
    Yes I do like clams, usually in chowder or deep fried which, I think, means battered too. I don't mind the tuna salad, after all it was a staple lunch, as a sandwich, when I was growing up. I just want to be sure that I eat enough every week that I don't have to supplement with fish oil. I am going to make a serious effort to look into frozen fish filets. Why frozen? I'm not a fussy eater and don't bother with too much creative cooking. Surprising, actually, 17 months ago I weighed 244.8 lbs. (I now weigh, thanks to Primal, 147.6) to achieve that obese weight, I'm only 5'4", I happily ate most everything. Simple, easy cooking is fine. Frozen to plate by way of the microwave suits me and my lifestyle right now. Unlike my husband, I don't really hate liver, especially if I don't have to look at it in it's raw state. I may have to eat it out to get it but eventually I want to just cook it myself. This eating out business can get expensive.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    deep fried do not have to be battered. The best deep fried squid I ate was actually unbattared with just a dusting of red flakes. That's the only way I make it... erm, all two times I made it in a few years. You might try stir-frying clams with coconut oil maybe and coco-flakes?

I do frozen fish fillets all the time, cod and stuff.

Also, for cost cuttings and the best fish ever, I again recommend salmon heads and trimmings - they cut them off from the bestest fish, and the thick soup you can make from it is fantastic - and you can add your fillets as the 'filler' in, it will be flavored by salmon and all yer spices (I recommend red chillis, cloves, celery, onion and peppers). Just tie the heads and spices in a cheeseclth, and if you loath to eat stuff off the head and trimmings (I would though, stuff in salmon's head is the fattiest and the richest in O3 and the tastiest) you can just drain, squeeze out with the back of the spoon, and toss the bag in the garbage.

With liver, the coolest recipe I made so far was curried liver (I have been experimenting with finding a liver way my soon to be 6 yo would eat it). Yum.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    deep fried do not have to be battered. The best deep fried squid I ate was actually unbattared with just a dusting of red flakes. That's the only way I make it... erm, all two times I made it in a few years. You might try stir-frying clams with coconut oil maybe and coco-flakes?

I do frozen fish fillets all the time, cod and stuff.

Also, for cost cuttings and the best fish ever, I again recommend salmon heads and trimmings - they cut them off from the bestest fish, and the thick soup you can make from it is fantastic - and you can add your fillets as the 'filler' in, it will be flavored by salmon and all yer spices (I recommend red chillis, cloves, celery, onion and peppers). Just tie the heads and spices in a cheeseclth, and if you loath to eat stuff off the head and trimmings (I would though, stuff in salmon's head is the fattiest and the richest in O3 and the tastiest) you can just drain, squeeze out with the back of the spoon, and toss the bag in the garbage.

With liver, the coolest recipe I made so far was curried liver (I have been experimenting with finding a liver way my soon to be 6 yo would eat it). Yum.
    Thanks, it's nice to meet someone that doesn't mind being a "heat n' eat" type of cook. It also sound like you are a pretty accomplished cook too. What's the brand of frozen you buy?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast