Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IF & Protein Minimums page

JMG Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

For those of you who IF for fat loss via reducing meals (and therefore calories), are you concerned about getting a daily minimum of protein? About l gram/lb of body weight for those who are active.

Based on what I've read, when opting for fat loss it is imperative to get at least 1 gram protein/lb of bw to maintain muscle. (Again for those who are active.)

Thanks!

Jewelz Guest

I have been very concerned about that. Lately, i've been low on energy/strength and experiencing a lot of muscle fatigue since IF more frequently. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with my protein intake. So i've started increasing my protein intake and lowering my carbs to 20-30. Not sure if that will help w/ IF, but i'll see if it works.

JMG Guest

Jewelz, what is your intake now that you've increased? (Also, if you don't mind, what is your body weight?)

Jewelz Guest

Well today is my 1st day of increasing! ha Yesterday was terribly painful for me, not even being able to do Crossfit wod!! So far my food intake for the day that i have planned and plugged into Fitday is 823 53.1 fat, 26.4 carbs, 66.6 protein. Most would probably say my intake is way too low, but i never feel hungry anymore! I'm 5'6 and weigh 116lbs.

Conan Guest

"Lately, i've been low on energy/strength and experiencing a lot of muscle fatigue since IF more frequently. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with my protein intake."

I think it might have more to do with your calorie intake. 823 calories?????? Seriously????? You are already skinny at 5'6" and 116 lbs. Maybe you are trying to rid yourself of the last bit of fat, but I'm thinking you'd be better off adding some muscle to your frame. You are risking long term damage to your metabolism / health. And I seriously doubt you are getting all of the vitamins and nutrients you need from 823 calories. Check your vitamin profile on the nutrition tab in Fitday. I'm guessing you're deficient in quite a few areas.

Conan Guest

Oh and if you aren't hungry you need to FORCE yourself to eat. Food is energy, food is nutrition, food is health. Your body needs it - it is not bad for you, it is good for you. If you aren't getting enough of it, that is a bad thing that WILL cause health problems.

JMG Guest

Conan, any input on protein minimums?

Nick Guest

1g/lb lean body mass is a more appropriate standard, so if you're 240 pounds with 33% body fat, 160g day would suffice. 0.7g/lb lean mass is really the minimum for moderately active folks, whereas 1g is recommended as a minimum for harder training.

Conan Guest

If you are just trying to maintain muscle then I think 1g / lb. of body weight is sufficient - like Nick said you could probably get by with less. If you are trying to gain muscle (which you probably aren't if you are concerned about fat loss) then I think 1-1.5 g / lb. is probably more appropriate. I just recently increased my protein to 1.25 g / lb. (I'm using total pounds not lean mass) since it's been tough to add muscle at 1 g / lb.

MikeGP Guest

I mentioned on another post that ive been doing P90x for 5 months and lost about 5% body fat, right now im around 10.5%, my abs are defined etc...but i haven not gained muscle, my frame is actually smaller...this may be because of two things. 1- the layer of fat made me look "fuller" or 2- ive lost muscle.

I dont know about the muscle loss because i can lift much more than when i started....at first i could barely do 8 pull ups, now i can do around 25. If i had lost muscle wouldnt my strenght decrese as well?

I still want to lose more fat, want to get to around 8% but i also want to look bigger, my wife already tells me i look scrawney and im getting worried. I dont think im huge or anything but scrawney??, my arms are 15", strong pecs, but my waist is around 29"...im 58" and as of today 156 pounds.

Any advice?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast