Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: An Empire Should Have Its Darth... page 20

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    exactly my thought

and i hypothesize that senor grumpycakes would ban everyone who annoyed him

you and he would collide in a clash of ideals which would ultimately result in a black hole
    maybe they'd ban each other, a case of mutually assured destruction, hehe...

actually, i enjoy the curmudgeons, they add a certain spice to the gumbo on here....
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    bah humbug
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Awww... I miss DarthFriendlys humor His comments always caught my eye and made me like this forum even more - Call me mad, but I like colorfull people.
    What was the reason to ban him? You gotta give us that piece of info, Mark, so we can decide wether it was fair or people are just waaay to sensitive.

P.S. About the dolphin pic. I wonder which dolphin got hurt the most. The one landing one the others nose or the others nose.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    This is such sad news.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post
    What was the reason to ban him? You gotta give us that piece of info, Mark, so we can decide wether it was fair or people are just waaay to sensitive.
    He doesn't, really. If MDA's policy is to keep this matter private, that's their choice. It's a policy at most forums I've moderated, both commercial and private.

Here's the deal: some people can be wildly funny and popular publicly. And then, in private messages to individuals, they can be scary jackasses who write abusive, stalkery posts and/or threaten people. You don't know unless you're the other party, or that other party chooses to reveal their side. Assuming they're even still around.

Is that what happened in this case? Don't know. But I can guess.

It's also possible there is another party involved who isn't Darth who doesn't want the story dragged out, or other forum members ridiculing them for making an unpopular decision. There may be legal limitations. It could be that Mark just hates Sith lords. Whatever, it's his forum, his rules.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Hey onalark, about ^^ and your previous posts about this, are you saying our PMs are not private and mods can read them, or do you mean only if someone raises it with a mod? Curious, as I have always assumed private messages are private, even if it is someone else's forum.

Not that I do anything wrong, just nice to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Hey onalark, about ^^ and your previous posts about this, are you saying our PMs are not private and mods can read them, or do you mean only if someone raises it with a mod? Curious, as I have always assumed private messages are private, even if it is someone else's forum.

please do not make the error of the young and think that the interwebs is for privacy.

Nothing electronic is private... nothing. it can all be gotten to... the masters just have to want to look

and YES admins and mods can read your traffic and if they are doing a good job for the forum they have automatic monitors that search each message heuristically to flag for offensive or banned topics. such tools are rather cheap and extremely good at what they do.

ps. your cell phone is also being monitored. don't believe otherwise. most of the time big brother just doesnt give a flying frak about your last 10 booty calls.

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    please do not make the error of the young and think that the interwebs is for privacy.

Nothing electronic is private... nothing. it can all be gotten to... the masters just have to want to look

and YES admins and mods can read your traffic and if they are doing a good job for the forum they have automatic monitors that search each message heuristically to flag for offensive or banned topics. such tools are rather cheap and extremely good at what they do.

ps. your cell phone is also being monitored. don't believe otherwise. most of the time big brother just doesnt give a flying frak about your last 10 booty calls.
    You are dead on dude. I help with lawful intercept all the time and I see all sorts of shit that people think is private. If you want something to be private, do NOT store it on a computer or record it (audio or video). We have teams of people that can get into all sorts of shit that you didn't think anyone had access to.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    You are dead on dude. I help with lawful intercept all the time and I see all sorts of shit that people think is private. If you want something to be private, do NOT store it on a computer or record it (audio or video). We have teams of people that can get into all sorts of shit that you didn't think anyone had access to.

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all that is deleted are fin;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep hacorz are not stopped by the recycle bin.

wah ha ha ha

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

PMs are not private. As a forum moderator, I could easily access the database and run a query that pulled up everyone's private messages, and I'd be willing to guess that nowadays forum software just has an interface for it.

That said, I rarely did this, and only with just cause. But on occasion we had someone come along whose private messages needed to be tracked because they were harassing someone or using our forums for criminal behavior (yes, really) or threatening to commit suicide and the person they were PMing was terrified and wanted us to intervene. It happens. It sucks. It's a pain in the ass to do the research and make the call. It's why I'm not volunteering to be a mod here.

Also note that private messages you send in any chat system -- including games (i.e., /sends and whispers) -- are probably being logged and visible to the staff. As a GM on an old MUD, I had access to all the private "whispers" our users would exchange. Which was usually cybersex stuff. Ugh.

And what Quelsen said. As someone who has managed these types of systems, I am all too aware that private messages are not private. I am not a paranoid person, but when I have something intensely private to say to someone, I will arrange to speak to them person-to-person, not online, not in text.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast