Thread: Beyond Survival page

TheArcaneOne is offline Junior Member

Beyond Survival

Shop Now
    I swear this isn't a spam thread about watching stuff online :-)

Has anyone on here ever watched the show Beyond Survival with Les Stroud? It was on a couple years ago, I just started watching it recently.

It's really interesting. It's him traveling around the word and living with indigenous tribes. These tribes still live the way their ancestors did for thousands of years. So all the episodes have been about hunter gathers so far. It's interesting to see how they live and survive off the land. One episode was about sea gypsies. They lived 99% of their life on a boat and only went ashore if they needed some wood or to grab a couple coconuts when the fish weren't biting. It's crazy to see a person scale a huge coconut tree with no equipment in less then a minute.

One episode showed people that lived on an island but way up in the mountains. They farmed to support there hunting and gathering ways, which I wasn't expecting. The show didn't cover it but I was wondering if that's something they have always done or if it's a recent development. They farmed tubers and bananas, no grains or anything.

It's just an interesting show and I thought I'd share and see if anyone else had watched it.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I've watched all of Stroud's shows. My hobby is learning primitive (survival) skills. It's kind of a hobby do experimental archeology. You have to have a curiosity about how primitive people needed to know in order to get by.

Following a primal/paleo diet fits quit well with my hobby. The paleo diet has put the edible plants stuff more into perspective.
    Last edited by Scott F; 07-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

TheArcaneOne is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Yep, I've watched all of Stroud's shows. My hobby is learning primitive (survival) skills. It's kind of a hobby do experimental archeology. You have to have a curiosity about how primitive people needed to know in order to get by.

Following a primal/paleo diet fits quit well with my hobby. The paleo diet has put the edible plants stuff more into perspective.
    I would love to go camping sometime in the future, taking limited gear, and try to survive mostly off of nature. Sounds like a fun challenge to me.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    You guys gotta go see www.paleoplanet.net. Well if you dont all ready anyways. I am there as Warmbear too.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneOne View Post
    I swear this isn't a spam thread about watching stuff online :-)

Has anyone on here ever watched the show Beyond Survival with Les Stroud? It was on a couple years ago, I just started watching it recently.

It's really interesting. It's him traveling around the word and living with indigenous tribes. These tribes still live the way their ancestors did for thousands of years. So all the episodes have been about hunter gathers so far. It's interesting to see how they live and survive off the land. One episode was about sea gypsies. They lived 99% of their life on a boat and only went ashore if they needed some wood or to grab a couple coconuts when the fish weren't biting. It's crazy to see a person scale a huge coconut tree with no equipment in less then a minute.

One episode showed people that lived on an island but way up in the mountains. They farmed to support there hunting and gathering ways, which I wasn't expecting. The show didn't cover it but I was wondering if that's something they have always done or if it's a recent development. They farmed tubers and bananas, no grains or anything.

It's just an interesting show and I thought I'd share and see if anyone else had watched it.
    Reality TV might be entertaining to some but I would ignore EVERYTHING you see in it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneOne View Post
    I would love to go camping sometime in the future, taking limited gear, and try to survive mostly off of nature. Sounds like a fun challenge to me.
    It takes background training. You'll get a deep understanding of how much know how paleo people need to get by. You'll be asking yourself, "Now how did they every figure this stuff out?" Not a paleo example but, how did people figure out they could render fat to make it stable, then use wood ashes and water to soak out and drain off the alkali from those ashes, then if they'd float a raw egg in the alkaline water with only a spot about the size of a quarter out of the water the alkalinity concentration would be about right, heat the water and add the fat stirring until a chemical transformation happened and you just made homemade soap.

If you want to do that type of camping you might look to something like Boulder Outdoor Survival School | BOSS. There's other schools out there such as Teaching Drum Outdoor School - Wilderness Immersion Programs, Native Lifeway, and Community Healing which is a year-long jump in the deep in of the pool approach. There's weekend schools such as Welcome to Practical Primitive, onPoint Tactical LLC - Legendary Skills for Today's Professional, Earth Native | Earth Native Wilderness Survival School, Wilderness Survival School | Wilderness Awareness School - Nature and Outdoor Survival School. These schools have scheduled monthly programs that can be 9 months of teaching you particular topics.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    You guys gotta go see www.paleoplanet.net. Well if you dont all ready anyways. I am there as Warmbear too.
    Thanks, I checked it out and it look interesting.