Thread: Yoga anatomy question page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Yoga anatomy question

Question for all the Yogis and Yoginis It's to do with flexibility and anatomy.

I'm pretty supple (eg. can do the splits - both ways) but I struggle with a really basic Yoga pose: Easy Pose! When I sit in it my knees come quite high up off the ground. I find it uncomfortable to sit in.

Does anyone know what muscles are engaged in this pose? What muscles in my body might be tight / weak that are preventing my knees from reaching the ground? I have a slight curve in my lower spine, which may be influencing it.... but saying that - I can do Full Lotus, which is a similar position, but obviously engages different muscles.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like hip flexors and possibly adductors to me.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Thanks EvRevFit! That makes sense actually - I remember reading that if the psoas muscles are tight it can cause the lower back to curve!

Starting a regime of squats, forward and backward lunges whilst holding my arms up in the air. Apparently these exercises open up the hip flexors. Any other suggestions?

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks EvRevFit! That makes sense actually - I remember reading that if the psoas muscles are tight it can cause the lower back to curve!

Starting a regime of squats, forward and backward lunges whilst holding my arms up in the air. Apparently these exercises open up the hip flexors. Any other suggestions?
    Or you could spend a fair amount more time once or twice a day just sitting in the easy pose. That is how yoga is practiced, by doing it.... Not meaning to sound flippant.

Ok you could try this: get into easy pose & place 2 fair sized hardbound books on the knees, approximately the same weight unless 1 knee is significantly higher/stiffer than the other. Of course alternate the bottom/top legs... I used to do this when I first started yoga oh so many years ago. Oh, can also do the "dolphin" pose, good for flexors & inner hip joint
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Or you could spend a fair amount more time once or twice a day just sitting in the easy pose. That is how yoga is practiced, by doing it.... Not meaning to sound flippant.

Ok you could try this: get into easy pose & place 2 fair sized hardbound books on the knees, approximately the same weight unless 1 knee is significantly higher/stiffer than the other. Of course alternate the bottom/top legs... I used to do this when I first started yoga oh so many years ago. Oh, can also do the "dolphin" pose, good for flexors & inner hip joint
    It's weird, but I actually sit in easy pose quite a lot (sometimes for more than three hours a day) and I never open up more. I remember one teacher telling me that if you can't do a pose, it can be due to an imbalance in the muscles, and by continuing to enter into the pose in the wrong way you can actually exasperate it.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It's weird, but I actually sit in easy pose quite a lot (sometimes for more than three hours a day) and I never open up more. I remember one teacher telling me that if you can't do a pose, it can be due to an imbalance in the muscles, and by continuing to enter into the pose in the wrong way you can actually exasperate it.
    Get a Thai Yoga Massage or a Deep Tissue Massage from an experienced practitioner. Can open you up a LOT, pretty quickly... Or keep on keeping on w/ your present strategy of working w/ imbalanced or underdeveloped muscles... Feldenkrais is excellent also for re-setting/retraining the neural connection between body awareness & mind awareness. I dated a Feldenkrais teacher once, she was the bomb...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown