Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you "one of those women who don't like women?" page 8

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For most of my life I had very few female friends... just one or two close friends that I trusted, but the rest I didn't care about at all. It's changing now that I just had a kid and men really don't have the same perspective of dealing with a newborn... so I've had to make more female friends. Guess it is a growth experience or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I guess what makes me feel most like an outsider among women is that I like to have wilderness adventures. I feel at home out there. For some reason my interests make people so uncomfortable that they have to point out the discomforts of sleeping on the ground and their fears of snakes and bears. For some reason I think it makes them feel better to remind themselves how "impossible" it is to have an adventurous life. To think otherwise would invite too many regrets for living their lives in service to babies and husbands and proper femininity, I guess. My life makes most women uncomfortable, which is sad because I can't have an honest relationship with someone who is afraid of me or uncomfortable around me.
    I totally get that... one of the reasons I've always had male friends is because they would go hiking with me and not complain about everything. I am a bit girly at home - I like dresses and doing my hair, but I love the wilderness too and the dirt and grime that comes with it. Luckily I found a partner who loves the outdoors as much as I do, and having a newborn, we are waiting for the days when he can hold his head up long enough to be in a baby backpack. The men I talk to about this think it is great - even the pediatrician is all for taking a baby backpacking. The women I know? They are mortified.*

*ETA: the exception to this is the women in my new hometown in Wyoming - which is very outdoor-oriented. The women here are kick-ass... and bring their kids on week-long trips into the Winds for fun. That's what I aspire to. My friends & family back in the midwest think it's crazy.
    Last edited by Jen AlcesAlces; 07-27-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member
    I get on well enough with most people but have no close female friends. I've felt for years as though I belong to a third gender because I have little in common with a lot of women. I do wear some make-up but other than that I'm very low maintenance - I don't like heels, handbags and constricting clothes, cut my own hair, never had any interest in having kids and just don't do the girly stuff. I always wanted to be strong and muscular and kick ass. I love computer games, I go to the gym and, when I was younger and less injury prone, I did Thai boxing. A colleague referred to me as "bloke bird" (which was about right, actually). Now I find almost all my friends are gay men. This isn't a deliberate choice - it just happened that way.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    I've been called an "honorary male," because I like to shoot guns, watch Gunsmoke and other westerns, have a big dog, eat lots of red meat, and laugh hard. I also like to get dressed up with makeup and heels and jewelry and a flirty dress, because I am a beautiful woman and like to highlight my best physical features. Works for me, and my husband.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsToon View Post
    I've been called an "honorary male," because I like to shoot guns, watch Gunsmoke and other westerns, have a big dog, eat lots of red meat, and laugh hard. I also like to get dressed up with makeup and heels and jewelry and a flirty dress, because I am a beautiful woman and like to highlight my best physical features. Works for me, and my husband.
    Same here.

I was thinking today about how freedom from stereotypes doesn't mean not doing anything stereotypical. When you're truly free, you do what makes you happy, not what people expect you to do, but also not actively avoiding things people expect you to do either. You just do what makes you happy in the long run.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I love the word cunt. Most people don't... they find it offensive. I find it strong.

I also have nothing substantial to add.

There are a lot of people in this world I dislike based on personality.
    I'm not so sure gender has anything to do with it.
    In the words of our dearly beloved DarthFriendly,
    "You have neither the depth nor the warmth for that title." but actually, Cori, I bet you do. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    *ETA: the exception to this is the women in my new hometown in Wyoming - which is very outdoor-oriented. The women here are kick-ass... and bring their kids on week-long trips into the Winds for fun. That's what I aspire to. My friends & family back in the midwest think it's crazy.
    Sounds like many of the women I know. I don't, because it's a lot of work and i don't sleep well in a tent when i have to share my bag with a toddler, but we will when they are less work. Where in Wyoming are you? i'm around an hour from your border!

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    I just don't LIKE city people! I grew up in a small country ass fishing town on a coast and now practice in a CITY city and I just HATE how hurried, cold and cut throat a lot of city people are. I grew up a tom boy but after I turned 25 (27 now) started becoming more "girly" I suppose. I LOVE women. Like, I really think they are beautiful. My lesbian bff always makes fun of me. I have just always been one of those girls that would go up to pretty women and compliment them cuz well...they are BEAUTIFUL! Guess its a country/feminist thing. I don't see the futility in comparing or feeling insecure or catty among other women. I do have more male than female friends but it is only because I make friendships like guys in that I will not call another female just to "talk", I don't want to know about "feelings" on the phone. I will only call to make plans and cannot STAND staying on the phone for more than 30 secs. so ya I kinda of lost some female friends because I was "insensitive" and "cold". *shrugs*

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    I do have more male than female friends but it is only because I make friendships like guys in that I will not call another female just to "talk", I don't want to know about "feelings" on the phone. I will only call to make plans and cannot STAND staying on the phone for more than 30 secs. so ya I kinda of lost some female friends because I was "insensitive" and "cold". *shrugs*
    I wonder if my female friends think that of me, i think they've become used to it by now. I don't ever call just to chat, then phone calls are always awkward because it's difficult for me to beat around the bush. I don't mind talking on the phone, but I generally can't think of anything to talk about except the reason I called. I have one friend who calls to chat and she talks a lot. nothing wrong with that, just difficult for me to sustain a conversation, and i don't want to seem unfriendly because i'm not. i just don't usually "chat."

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Same here.

I was thinking today about how freedom from stereotypes doesn't mean not doing anything stereotypical. When you're truly free, you do what makes you happy, not what people expect you to do, but also not actively avoiding things people expect you to do either. You just do what makes you happy in the long run.

I think you have it about figured out.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsToon View Post
    I think you have it about figured out.
    +1000
    Seriously.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Years ago, I started read a book~ *Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus* remember that one? I about laughed myself sick~ I discovered I am most certainly NOT from Venus~ I may have the equipment, but I'm mentally Martian! Probably explains why every time someone tries to tell me how they 'feel', I try to tell them how to fix the problem. I don't dislike women, I just don't understand how most of them can be so illogical!

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast