Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you "one of those women who don't like women?" page 11

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Mom really encouraged me to move West because "Every woman I've met from out there I think you'd get along with." I think, though, that I need to move further out in the country or something. I'm living near too many women that aren't really local to the area
    Front range =/= the West ... at least not anymore. Too many damn Californian transplants yuppifying our shit up =P
    Though I'd rather live there than ... anywhere east of there. Check out the western slope of Colorado (Gunnison, Paonia, Montrose, Ouray, etc) and you'll definitely find some real mountain women.
    And I loudly echo the statements about women out west being different/less stereotypically feminine by others on this thread -- I'd argue that it's partially due to the culture of the American West being defined by a rugged sense of independence, self-sufficiency, and a personal connection to the natural world. At least, it is in my rather romanticized vision of it But seriously, out here? No one gives a crap about the latest episode of "Sex and the City" or whatever it is women watch these days, because it has absolutely nothing to do with our lives. We live our lives -- not someone else's.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Well, I can tell you that I am still in awe of all the long, gray hair I see out here. Back east, once you hit a certain age, it gets whacked off at the very least and probably dyed. Heaven forbid you be FEMALE and GRAY!

I do still have a lot of places to see out here, so the western slope will go on the to-do list
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Well, I can tell you that I am still in awe of all the long, gray hair I see out here. Back east, once you hit a certain age, it gets whacked off at the very least and probably dyed. Heaven forbid you be FEMALE and GRAY!
    My mom is in her late 40s and stopped dyeing her hair a few years ago. I applauded her so hard for finally embracing her real hair. She went grey in her late 20s and had been fighting it all these years.

My doctor has the prettiest hair ever, though. It's this beautiful, stunning silver, straight as a board, and she has a super angular A-line bob. It looks soooo good.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke
    I don't have anything in common with most women, no kids (stepdaughter lives in USA), I am interested in DIY and interior decoration but most women I've met aren't concerned with more than a huge telly and an expensive looking kitchen. I love to cook whereas many women are just shovelling junk food in their brats.

I get along so easily with blokes - I can talk Formula One, tennis and football (soccer), gardening, action adventure movies, politics, baseball, fishing..Artichoke View Post
    i don't know if you were just describing what you like to do, or describing what you like to do which is not considered feminine, but AFAIK in the US the parts i bolded are considered feminine.
    I'm not sure about that. First, I took "DIY" and "interior decoration" to be two separate things -- though I admit the context was a bit ambiguous. At any rate, I would say that "DIY" has a somewhat more masculine than feminine connotation.

As far as cooking goes, I've been trying to figure this one out for quite some time. My conclusion is that food preparation has traditionally been more of a feminine pursuit, but more recently -- let's say in the last 20 years -- the balance has shifted and it's now much more gender-neutral. Not only in popular culture (consider all the well-known male chefs heading famous restaurants or hosting TV cooking shows), but also in everyday life. Granted, I'm not a social butterfly and consequently my observations could be a bit insular, but at my household and a (narrow) majority of my friends' households, the husband or boyfriend is either the primary cook or shares the meal-preparation responsibility. I think there's also a big generational component to this; I don't know a lot of men in their 50's or beyond who do much cooking, but I know many in their 30's and 40's who do. Finally, I suppose that my sample is probably skewed by having a lot of friends who are very conscious of food quality and have taken a keen interest in finding and preparing healthy foods. You know, primal/paleo folk.

As for tennis, I've never considered it to be more feminine than masculine. I suppose some might see it as "less manly" than some other sports, but I think it's mostly considered a gender-neutral sport. If anything it has an historical "gentleman's game" bias toward masculinity.

And I definitely disagree that gardening is a feminine activity. In my world the number of hobbyist gardeners -- and notably, the folks selling produce at the farmer's markets -- approach a 2:1 ratio of male:female.

I agree that the perceptions about the gendered-ness of occupations and activities vary significantly across cultures, and apparently even across small geographical differences within what might otherwise be considered a monoculture.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I realized that I never really answered the question on my own post! I don't actively dislike women, it just happens that I get along with men better and have more male friends. The female friends I do have are either "tomboys," artists, writers, musicians, or comedians. I'm bi, and have a few lesbian friends, but have more gay and straight male friends. I wear make-up, I like cooking, and styling my hair. But I also enjoy hiking, fighting, writing, reading, rocking out on the mic, swearing, sex... None of these things can be defined as belonging to one sex or the other, necessarily. I think, really, I hate as equally as I love. If you're boring and vapid, male or female, I tend to avoid you.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    Front range =/= the West ... at least not anymore. Too many damn Californian transplants yuppifying our shit up =P
    amen! we have the same problem here. but i guess i tend to ignore californians.

I do still have a lot of places to see out here, so the western slope will go on the to-do list
    I love nicely managed gray hair. there's something very powerfully feminine about it.

the big L-> few of the men I know cook, though my experiences could be insular as well.

oh i think it's all shades of ironic. here you have the californians invading the inland regions of the west, probably escaping (in part) the immigrants mostly from Mexico, which is being invaded by Central Americans. well, the invasion of the californians upsets the locals, who complain that they can barely afford the property tax on the homesteads that their ancestors stole from the Natives.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    I apologize in part for their behavior. I never understood why people are opposed to assimilation when they move to a new environment.
    What do you mean by assimilation in a new environment? I despise assimilation of culture. I really enjoy meeting the various people in our town that come from other parts of the country/world and bring their unique regional cultures here with them- it keeps things vibrant and interesting. Maybe you mean that you hate yuppies?

i think newcomers should be careful not to bring the problems that they were hoping to escape.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    I'm in Lander WY - kind of central WY, near the Wind River Range. People here, especially the women, are soooo different from other places I've lived. THey are quite independent, fun and active without the cattiness I've seen elsewhere.
    I think I emailed your husband about a ride when I was planning my hike in the Winds. I have a contact for a man and his wife, and his wife's name is Jen and he said you guys just had a baby. I ended up paying the outfitter in Pinedale to park my car at Green River Lakes rather than hike all the way to Towghee (??) Pass and attempt to hitch all the way back to Pinedale. Well worth the money, that's for sure! I was just a little sad my hike was not quite as long as I'd hoped, but it all turned out perfect anyway. Those mountains are so beautiful. Don't think I could live there, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast