Thread: Swelling Remedies? page

Hanlon is offline Member

Swelling Remedies?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, hoping you can help me out

Is it normal for allergen sensitivity to increase after not being exposed to it for a while?

Anyone have any home remedies to reduce swelling of the face? Will ice help?

Prior to going primal, I have had allergic reactions to foods such as Chinese, some heavily processed foods, dorritos etc. Not all the time, but every now and again. Basically, my eyes and lips swell up, sometimes to the point where I can't open my eyes! Fortunately when this happens it doesn't affect my throat or tongue, but I always get myself straight to the doctor just in case. Besides checking that I can breathe etc, theres not much he can do - adrenaline shots etc only help in my more severe cases (and even then it only reduces swelling slightly). My doctor belives it is a reaction to MSG.

Anyway, now I've gone primal, I seem to be getting milder reactions more frequently when I accidentally ingest something which is processed or has wheat in it. Today, my eyes are swollen and sore because I ate ham which I thought was ham, but was actually 'manufactured meat' with thickeners and a whole bucketload of crap in it. Only 50% of it was actual meat. Gross. I look like I've been punched repeatedly in the face.

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I get full blown allergic reactions complete with need for epipen to sunflower seeds. Not a whole lot helps the swelling once it happens. Benedryl helps more than anything else. Usually takes about three days for me to return to normal. Pretty much it boils down to avoiding poisonous things.

Paleobird Guest
    Ditto but for me it is kiwi fruit of all the weird things. Benedryl helps. Ice is good for swelling caused by a turned ankle or a heavy workout but an allergic reaction is different.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingvildr View Post
    I get full blown allergic reactions complete with need for epipen to sunflower seeds. Not a whole lot helps the swelling once it happens. Benedryl helps more than anything else. Usually takes about three days for me to return to normal. Pretty much it boils down to avoiding poisonous things.
    OMG~ I'm not the only one allergic to sunflower seeds? Don't know what it is about them, but now I'm afraid of sunflower oil too.

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I've been severely allergic to sunflower seeds for 25 years. I'm allergic to even the smell of someone eating them around me. I don't seem to be allergic to commercial sunflower oil, I can't speak about cold pressed. I haven't had the nerve to try. I also have a cross allergy to chamomile and have been told to avoid echinacea and jerusalem artichokes.

tamingof is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey Hanlon,

It's totally normal for allergic reactions to get worse after eliminating the allergen from your diet. My doctor explained it like this; if you have constant exposure to an allergen, your immune system is constantly attacking it causing low grade inflammation, once you eliminate the allergen the immune system relaxes, but the response to the allergen doesn't change. So, once you eat the allergen again your immune system attacks the (most often times smaller amount of) allergen as if your system was still fully flooded with it. For obvious reasons this is very bad, especially if you get hives.

As Paleobird says, ice on an allergic reaction doesn't help the swelling the way it would a sprain, but I've found that the cold helps combat the pain and itchiness even if it doesn't make the swelling go down faster. Benedryl helps. Sometimes nasal sprays or eye drops (visine allergy has been the best), but not always. Drinking lots of water is supposed to help flush your system, but I personally haven't found it useful.

I hope your face feels better quickly! And good luck avoiding MSG in the future.