Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal 30(+1) Challenge for August! page

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member

Primal 30(+1) Challenge for August!

Primal Fuel
    I have been falling off the wagon so to speak and am ready to publicly hold my feet to the fire to do a real 31 days of clean primal eating. Care to join me?

Let's also commit to 31 days of PBF too. We'll discuss both in this thread for sake of convenience.

To start off, how is your diet and fitness routine now? Where will you have to improve?

To join the challenge, commit now to checking in here daily and letting us know how you ate and how you moved. We can do it!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    I have been falling off the wagon so to speak and am ready to publicly hold my feet to the fire to do a real 31 days of clean primal eating. Care to join me?

Let's also commit to 31 days of PBF too. We'll discuss both in this thread for sake of convenience.

To start off, how is your diet and fitness routine now? Where will you have to improve?
    To join the challenge, commit now to checking in here daily and letting us know how you ate and how you moved. We can do it!
    Now this would do me some good. My diet is great (I've been doing this a while and so it's not something I really even think about) but I am lagging on getting enough exercise.

So, ground rules? Are we doing the Whole 9 restrictions?

I think it's great to include some of the whole 9 restrictions, like no carrageenan (etc), no primal junk food, however I am open to leaving a few of the sensible vices in there within reason (like a glass of wine a week etc). Although we could really challenge ourselves and do the Whole30, if that's what we are all wanting to do! Anyone have any ground rules they'd like to add? For starters:

No grain
    No legumes
    No carageenan, MSG
    No primal junk (paleo breads, pizza etc)
    Dairy? - Could be off the table, or we can leave it to very restricted...
    Alcohol- Could be off the table, or we can leave it to very restricted....
    Dark chocolate .... we could make it interesting by allowing this sensible vice but ONLY if you make it yourself with no sugar (stevia, honey may be ok and again, very restricted)

Commitment to follow PBF regimen of at least 3 hours slow steady movement, 2 LHT and 1 sprint a week
    Commitment to check in often with what you're eating and how you're moving (preferably daily)

Anyone have anything to add? Or should we just go all out and do it whole30 style? *gulp*

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    i think there are enough whole 30-ish threads, so 'just' doing Primal - no 80/20 - is a good idea. the 80/20 seems to get alot of folks into trouble. actually doing Primal 100% is not so easy - I am IN!
    Personally, dairy troubles me, so I am ok with it off.
    I dont drink,except once or twice a year, so I am ok with that off.
    chocolate - I tend to overdo it! but that's why I am ok with it off, for a month anyway!

the exercise I can do.
    Public commitment: 5'6" female, starting weight 153 lbs. would like to be about 145. The weight is flexible, because I look ok.
    Lets do it, August 1st.

Paleobird Guest
    This is a cut and paste from the Whole 30 site. The only part I would take issue with is that I don't think cream and butter have enough milk solids in them to be a problem. That's the only dairy I use. Also I don't think we need to be that hard assed about "paleofy-ing" bad habits. If I take coconut cream and mix it with frozen fruit to make a "soft serve" dessert, it still only has two ingredients. I agree that anything with fake sweetening like primalized muffins would be out.

Interesting, it does not mention chocolate one way or the other, so I guess it's OK as long as it is 100% cocoa.

Also, I am going to weigh myself. I can see if you are just starting out how the scale prohibition could help you focus on the important stuff and not stress out about numbers. But I don't think that an issue for me.

"Our Whole30 program, as outlined.
    Eat real food – meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all.

More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program.

Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial.
    Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort)
    Do not eat grains. This includes gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa.
    Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (No peanuts or peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy.
    Do not eat dairy. … with the exception of clarified butter or ghee.
    Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites.
    Do not eat white potatoes, red, purple, Yukon gold and fingerling potatoes.
    No Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices!
    One last and final rule. You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program. (We do encourage you to weigh yourself before and after, however, so you can see one of the more tangible results of your efforts when your program is over.)

The Fine Print
    A few concessions, based on our experience, and those of our clients. These foods are exceptions to the rule, and are allowed during your Whole30.
    Clarified Butter or Ghee. .
    Fruit juice as a sweetener.
    Certain legumes. We’re fine with green beans, sugar snap peas and snow peas. These are far more “pod” than “bean”, and green plant matter is generally good for you.
    Vinegar. Most forms of vinegar are allowed during your Whole30 program. The only exceptions are vinegars with added sugar, or malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten.
    Processed foods. Minimally processed foods like canned coconut milk, applesauce, tomato sauce, chicken broth or canned olives are all acceptable on the Whole30."
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-26-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Here is a blog post from last year's Primal 30 day challenge:

The 2011 Primal Blueprint 30-Day Challenge Begins Now | Mark's Daily Apple

I think we can all use that as our launch point. If anyone wants to challenge themselves even further, say whole 30 style for example, then publicly state it in this thread!

For me, no more than 1 glass of wine a week, no chocolate unless I made it... What the heck, no packaged or prepared anything! I am starting this challenge because I have been slacking in diet and exercise a lot and am ready to really make some changes. I am 5'7", weigh 145 and haven't lost (and kept) a single pound off since the birth of my daughter 6 months ago. I want to lose at least 5 pounds during this challenge, and silence the sugar monster that's been harrassing me during these last few very stressful months.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I love this idea! I have a vacation coming up in mid-August, which will make it a bit harder for me (I'll basically be stuck in a hotel for 4 days, surrounded by junk food, with an Outback Restaurant in the hotel the closest thing to primal in sight). But if I attack this as primal according to Mark's challenge instead of the more strict Whole9 program, I think I can swing it:

1. No grains (easy, they throw my digestion out of whack anyway, last thing I want on vacation)
    2. No beans/legumes (I never liked them that much to start with; going without has never been an issue)
    3. No added sugar
    4. No unhealthy fats
    5. Fruit, dairy, alcohol and dark chocolate in moderation

6. Lift heavy things - I'm just now getting into the fitness side of this, so it's the perfect time to challenge myself. I joined a local Y today and the gym is really nice. I just have to figure out how to use stuff in it...

7. 3-5 hours easy moving each week - I do this already on an exercise bike parked in front of the TV (I have achilles problems that make walking problematic; I have to stay very low impact.) I've also just gone for my first swim in 15 years; thank god, I hadn't forgotten how. I only lasted 3 complete laps, resting in between; it's a LOT HARDER than I remembered! Which probably means it's great for me.

8. 1 all-out effort each week - I've been incorporating sprinting into my bike sessions for about a month. Swimming at all right now is kind of a sprint for me. So I think I can commit to this!

9. 15 minutes of direct sun exposure each day... this is harder for me, because I have an autoimmune condition that doesn't respond well to sunlight. I've been going out mid-day anyway, with sunscreen on the most sensitive bits. I keep my arms and legs bare and sunscreen free. So I think I can do this, but may have to back off if my skin suffers.

10. ~8 hours sleep a night. This is my hardest challenge, and will be hardest to achieve. I'm going to do my best. I generally only manage 6.5-7 hours. It's really, really hard for me to go to sleep at night. NOT insomnia. It's just that everything is so INTERESTING, I can't make myself go to bed, even if I'm yawning my head off. I've started magnesium citrate before bed and it seems to help a little. But I think this is about 90% behavioral for me, so it's the hardest lift.

11. PLAY. I'm totally into playing; I can swing this part easy if I just remind myself.

Another thing I want to commit to is meal-planning and sane grocery-buying. Right now I go at it with no plan, go every couple of days, and buy tons of crap I don't need and end up not eating. It's costing me way more than it should, even eating totally primal and buying mostly organic, grass-fed and wild at Whole Paycheck. I need to learn to strategize!
    Last edited by merryish; 07-27-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    I think going with Mark's PB Challenge makes a whole lot of sense too. Some of the restrictions in the Whole 30 just seem a little arbitrary to me.

Personally, I have already got the diet side of it pretty much nailed. I don't mean that to sound braggy but I've been doing this long enough that it is just normal for me, not something I have to work to maintain.

But I really need to get off my behind and exercise more.

My pre Kilimangaro hiking workout schedule was this for a week:

one long trail hike (10-15 miles)
    one long urban hike (about 14 miles)
    two LHT workouts
    one sprint day
    two rest days

Now that I am taking care of my Dad and have to get breakfast and dinner on the table, the longer hikes have become more difficult to work in. So, I should just do more frequent shorter walks. My dog agrees.

Ok, so what are your fitness goals?

For me, I've mostly got the 4 essential movements down, but no pullups yet. I want to do a pullup by the end of this challenge. I also plan to make good use of those WOWs for my LHTs, which will be new for me.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I do not want to do a Whole 30 again, but I would not mind doing a moderate dietary commitments to

no grains,
    no added sugar,
    no bad fats
    art. sweetener only in whey isolate

For fitness, I would go with the second cycle of Wendler's 4x a week lifting + KB and DB support, and 1x a week sprint, plus min of 60 min of moving slowly. I would like to try 2x sprints a week on lighter weeks.

Additionally, I want to increase my daily cold shower duration from 7 min to 10 min eventually by adding half a minute or so every week or as soon as I can tolerate it.

My biggest challenge will be a road trip, where food might have bad oil & I doubt i can get into a gym, so I will aim to replace heavy lifting with body weight from the Be Your own Gym book....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast