Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal 30(+1) Challenge for August! page 9

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Day 3 check in:
    Massive grocery shopping today so I got some exercise in just walking around the store then carrying everything at home up the stairs.
    Coconut milk coffee in the sunshine for lunch. Lamb curry for dinner. Hit the macros and cal targets.

I've been finding that, if I let myself snack in the evenings, I stay up later. If I say "no" to evening snacking, I get to feeling sleepier sooner. So, it's a "two'fer". Less calories I don't need and more sleep.

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    I'm bad with updates, so sue me .

Day 2 (which was Thursday): food was all good, I got an hour's walk in after work and a stocking up the fridge session at tesco. I tried bulletproof coffee for the first time and fell in love with it.

Day 3 (Friday): had the day off work (which was a last minute thing) so I took off to London for the day. Food - I had sushi at Sushi Ya rather than a BAS, white rice is the one grain I do eat occasionally so no breaking off my no grain rule for the month. Exercise -lots of walking, so I gave the LHT a miss when I got back home in the evening.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    So far, so good! I'm doing great with the eating, the exercising, and the general all around positive feeling part of TPB. The place where I still really suck is sleep. **glances at Officekitty** Oh well. Other than that, things are going well.

Paleomom4 is offline Junior Member
    PaleoBird, if I might ask what are your macro and calorie goals? I ask because after four months on paleo and gaining ten pounds I have finally admitted I need to start counting calories. (I have about 30 pounds to lose to get in the middle of my healthy weight range). I use myfooddiary and it gives me 1200 a day but if I exercise I can eat back some of those calories. I'm sticking with 1200 except a higher day on Sundays. I read in another thread how you had to count calories to lose on primal. Just wondering if you still have to. Thanks.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleomom4 View Post
    PaleoBird, if I might ask what are your macro and calorie goals? I ask because after four months on paleo and gaining ten pounds I have finally admitted I need to start counting calories. (I have about 30 pounds to lose to get in the middle of my healthy weight range). I use myfooddiary and it gives me 1200 a day but if I exercise I can eat back some of those calories. I'm sticking with 1200 except a higher day on Sundays. I read in another thread how you had to count calories to lose on primal. Just wondering if you still have to. Thanks.
    Ah yes, the last 30lbs. That's the point at which I started counting calories too.

I'm mostly in maintenance mode right now as far as weight goes so normally I don't track anymore. I am using the August Challenge as an opportunity to shoot for ketogenic macros for a whole month. I have epilepsy and I am hoping to do a controlled experiment with maintaining seizure control on a lower dose of medication. With a ketogenic plan, though, it is possible to way overdo the calories because fat is so calorically dense, also possible to way under-eat since fat is very satiating. So I am tracking again just to keep an eye on things.

These are my two calorie counting threads. A lot of people contributed a lot of really good information in there if you can wade through the occasional trolling.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24580.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

When I was losing weight I was eating around 1200/day. Now I can eat about 1500/day and maintain. All the calculators for BMR and TDEE, etc. are just a place to start. You shouldn't take their numbers or mine as gospel. Experiment, while tracking carefully, and you will find your own numbers.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Wow Paleobird, can I ask what your daily diet would look like generally when you were losing?

As for me, diet and exercise have been perfect all week. Had some massive sugar cravings the last two days but today was ok. I need to be mindful of the snacking. I didn't get any workout in today but I have done 2 LHTs this week and a sprint, so I hope to get at least a good long walk in tomorrow. Sleep has been not so great, I suspect Baby Grok might be teething... So I'm feeling not so hot from the lack of quality sleep combined with more working out. Could use more sunlight too. Hoping to not walk into a pizza tonight too, lol.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    Wow Paleobird, can I ask what your daily diet would look like generally when you were losing
    This is a matter of personal preference but I feel best if split a limited amount of calories up into two meals rather than three unsatisfying ones or one big meal Warrior Diet style (too stuffed that way and easy to get tempted when you are seriously hungry for 24 hours.)
    So my losing routine would be 6 eggs in the morning (no bacon, butter, etc. just minimum necessary olive oil spray). Then dinner would be a hunk of meat or fish with a side of salad or veggies. Everybody around here loves to talk about gobs of butter all over everything but that can be dialed back a bit. Not to fat phobic Dean Ornish land by any means , just not going hog wild with the lard.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Sigh. Best-laid plans...

OK, so I was going to my friend's house for dinner. I knew she was going to be grilling -- skinless chicken breasts and corn on the cob -- so the other day I asked her if she would mind if one of the pieces of chicken had no marinade, and she was fine with that. She asked if I could bring a side dish. I brought pan-fried asparagus (fresh asparagus, ghee, coconut oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic) and a big-ass salad (without dressing). I drank only water. She asked if I'd like to prep my own piece of chicken, so I rubbed in some olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. She seasoned the other pieces, told her husband that mine was the small one (just worked out that way), and then he took the plate outside to start grilling.

One tiny problem: she didn't tell him that mine shouldn't get any barbeque sauce. Oops.

So I did the best I could to scrape off the top layer, and I made sure to have a big bowl of salad first, and lots of the asparagus, but I know I wound up eating chicken with the sauce. Oh well; I tried. A for effort; B for the actual grade.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Jackie - confession - I had soy sauce with my sashimi this week! I realized afterwards that was a no-no. I'm of the mind that I'll do my best, but try not to be a basket case... or a hermit, lol.

And paleobird, wow that sounds tough! I'm one of those people who always feels like breakfast just makes me hungry so I can't imagine going all day from eggs til dinner! Although I am toying with a lean gains style IF, maybe starting this week.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    And paleobird, wow that sounds tough! I'm one of those people who always feels like breakfast just makes me hungry so I can't imagine going all day from eggs til dinner! Although I am toying with a lean gains style IF, maybe starting this week.
    Bfast makes me hungry too if it's carby like yoghurt and berries. But a big chunk of protein seems to be different. Also my schedule may be different than yours. I eat bfast about 9 and dinner about 5 so, technically that is a 16/8 IF. I can see that if you had to eat earlier to get to work and dinner had to be later, that would be tough.

So day 4 check in while we're at it.

Homemade liver pate for lunch, salmon and broccoli for dinner with an avocado for dessert. That hits the keto macros.
    I did not do well on exercise today. I meant to go for a walk but got distracted. Better tomorrow.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast