Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal 30(+1) Challenge for August! page 3

jaye is offline Senior Member
    I'm in. I already do the very strict diet all the time - that feels normal. But I need to work on getting serious with fitness and stress reduction.

My goals are:
    Sprint once a week (not just when I remember)
    The essential movements 3x a week (not just when I remember)
    Actually start doing pull-ups (have to get serious about putting up a bar)
    Meditate 20 minutes a day.

I don't have weight to lose, just trying to balance hormones and heal endometriosis.

I'm going to use the next 2 days to prep - find a few different places for meditating, put up a pull-up bar, bone-up on different types of sprints so I can keep it fun, etc.

Yay! looking forward to it!

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    **tentatively raises hand**

I last attempted a Whole 30 for June, and by the third week, it was a fucking disaster. Specifically, my mood swings were off the map, and that was on top of the worst TOM cramps I've ever had. I went off it around day 16 and didn't look back. After giving it some time and thought, and working on just getting back to the basics of grain = really not good, I've come to the conclusion that if I had stuck with it, I probably would have overcome the mood swings. I'm in a much better place mentally and emotionally now (three-plus weeks ago, I had an epiphany, and since then I've been able to just breathe, you know?), and other than today I've been awesome about taking my vitamins and exercising. I've just started adding a 2.5-mile walk every day, and now I'm doing CF three times a week on top of my tae kwon do three times a week. So it's time for me to get my nutrition back into shape. (I think that metaphor died somewhere along the way, but you get the idea.)

So...I'm in. Cautiously. I'm a little nervous about the potential of horrible mood swings (was in a very, very, very bad place for days -- crying jags, a general sense of Fuck It, Nothing Matters, and other very bad things). But if I don't give it an honest shot now, while I'm in a good place, then I'll never know if it could have done it.

My goals:
    Nutrition - aim for Whole 30; fall back to 100% primal
    Fitness - continue CF 3x week and TKD 3x week; bump up walking to 5 miles each day. At CF, when we have to do a 400 meter run, turn part of that into an all-out sprint.

The big place where I'm going to not do well is sleep. I have a 19-year-old cat who's slowly dying. She gets very loud overnight and wakes me multiple times, and gets me up for the day before 6 am. Getting an unbroken 8 hours probably won't happen until after she dies. (I love my cat very, very much, but my God, I miss sleeping well.)

SAdams is offline Member
    Jackie, I was in on that whole30 in June also but fell off at day 12. The not getting enough sleep does make the days a bit harder. I have a 2 year old who wakes up in the night and a 4 year old who has just started having bad dreams so I havent had a good nights sleep in 4 years. I know that sleeping affects my moods, If I don't get much I am not the nicest person to be around.

SAdams is offline Member
    Wow I couldn't even imagin going from Vegan to primal. The grains weren't to hard for me to quit because I always prefered meat but the sugar was my problem oh and bbq potato chips. I really need to fix my head so that I can fix my body and not keep falling back into my old ways, working on that.

Quote Originally Posted by SAdams View Post
    Jackie, I was in on that whole30 in June also but fell off at day 12. The not getting enough sleep does make the days a bit harder. I have a 2 year old who wakes up in the night and a 4 year old who has just started having bad dreams so I havent had a good nights sleep in 4 years. I know that sleeping affects my moods, If I don't get much I am not the nicest person to be around.
    Oh, man, I hear you. My older son didn't sleep through the night until he was four years old -- and that was the time that his brother, who was two, also finally started sleeping through. I had about one week of blissful unconsciousness before the night terrors/nightmares kicked in. Sigh. My kids are 11 and 9, and it's still not a given that one or both won't sleep through.

Maybe when they're in college, I'll finally sleep. Unless, of course, I can't sleep because I'd be missing them. Heh.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I'll commiserate on the sleeping 8 hours aspect. It is laughable to sleep 8+ hours with a 6 month old. However, like a true Grokette, baby Grok is in the bed with us (yay co-sleeping!) and I couldn't say that she or I totally wake up for those twilight feedings. Some nights are better than others, but all in all I feel pretty rested in the mornings. Bonus, I get to use the fact that baby Grok will. not. nap. without me for a nice little daytime nap. So hopefully that all counts. :-) And Jackie, hugs to you and your kitty.

Thanks, Cavebabymama. It's hard, but I do so love that Officekitty of mine. And rock on to you and Baby Grok!

n0speed is offline Junior Member
    I am in I have been 80/20 for 1.5 years and have lost a total off 40 LB at my peak, I started at 208 and got down to 168 since then I am up to 178. Right now I work out about 3 times a week which includes steep walking on a tread mill or the elliptical machine I do about 30 Min of cardio then about 30 mins of Planks, Pushups, Kettle ball and various other weight depends on how I fell. I also play hockey 1 to 2 times a week. As far as diet a lot of eggs bacon meet and veggies and a few cheats my issue is beer I love it and drink it with my coworkers often. When I went primal I restricted Alcohol to one or 2 drinks a week which did wonders combined with a clean diet and my workout routine.

So for August I plan on sticking to my workout schedule and going 100% Paleo No Grains No booze No crap and No Cheating.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Ok!

I am in. I have been all over the place in terms of food this past month, and I think I need to really do this. I started adding dairy (fage yogurt) on a daily basis, and I think that isnt working for me (in terms of weight loss). I am also working on the sugar cravings--not that I am reaching for the bad stuff...just way too much fruit. Also, need to eat more vegetables for sure!

So my goals:
    1. Whole30 for the month of Aug--specifically add more vegetables and cut back on the fruit
    2. Walk atleast 10,000 steps a day until I get back home (traveling until the first week of August or so)
    3. After that, strength training thrice a week and moderate-pace walking the rest of the days
    4. And yes--weighing myself only at the end of the month. Geez. I hope I last!

I really need to be accountable here. I have worked very hard to getting my body in good shape (both in terms of being fit and weight-loss). I cant let myself go back. I cant really figure out why I have been slipping....

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok some of you have really encouraged me to take a look at my "sensible" vices. Specifically, wine! It's become an almost daily vice, so I need to cut that out. The dairy is out for me also, if for no other reason than to find out how my body responds. Really I will be doing a whole30 with the exception of stevia in my coffee... Eeks this is going to be challenging. I started today, too excited to wait 2 more days!

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast