Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs or lack of nutrients/ or both make you hungry? page

Karma33 is offline Member

Carbs or lack of nutrients/ or both make you hungry?

Shop Now
    I have been following primal pretty strictly for several weeks now, and I am surprised how i am not overly concerned with my next meal or crazily hungry. I have always been a big eater(volume wise), and I am surprised by how may appetite has been controlled by eating this way. I can go many more hours than usual without food without getting really edgy and hungry. I know some say it is the protein keeping us satieted. I think it might be more the fat and/or the quality of nutrients. I did well losing weight following Body for Life, which is pretty high in protein, but low in fat, but I was always amping for the next meal. I think the lack of fat was causing that. What do you guys think?

Karma33 is offline Member
    I forgot to add that i honestly think that carbs/ fruit make me hungrier after eating. Has anyone else had that experience?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, many people seem to have that response. Low carb Primal does help with remaining satiated and feeling less need to snack.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Fat keeps me going, I can last all day on just a few cups of coffee with cream even if I'm farily busy. Lack if nutrients also makes my appitite go ape shit. In the past I have had major problems with always being hungry, taking vitamin suppliments really helped, but primal sorted it out fully, I think I wasn't digesting my food properly, prob due to gluten intolerance, or too much sugar as I was suppasing my '5 a day' for fruit and veggies, often at least 5 servings of vegggies and as much fruit
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma33 View Post
    I am surprised how i am not overly concerned with my next meal or crazily hungry.
    Me too. I used to be a big eater but I can now miss a meal without crying about it. I used to get hungry at 12:00 and 17:00 no matter when I'd eaten previously. I still eat at those times as a rule but went without dinner yesterday evening.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Grains are cheep, high in calories but are not very satisfying...I don't think I could EVER go back to eating that way.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Grains and fruit and sugars make me much hungrier than I ought to be. But my mechanism of satiety is starches and protein, fat does nothing to increase the satiety. I starve on high fat diet. I am fuller on egg-whites with mushrooms and 1 egg than on 4 eggs , and pure fat (coconut oil, nuts, fatty meats) make me hungry. I get hungry about every 3 to 5 hours, but I do not experience adverse hunger with dizzy disorienting spells and half-faints and stuff..
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My friend was telling me that he would eat a plate of pasta for dinner and afterward be hungrier than before. So he'd eat another plate and be even more hungry. So he'd eat a third plate. Then he'd be comatose on the couch the rest of the night. So I think certain foods do not satisfy as well as others.

For some reason I get really hungry after I eat liver. I continue to eat it though because I like it so much and it has a lot of vitamins.

It was fat that finally made my chronic hunger subside enough that I could lose weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Yep, same here. Low carb primal has been the only thing that has ever worked to allow me to cut my intake enough to lose some weight. Counting calories while eating the old SAD way left me feeling like a vacuum cleaner trying to inhale every morsel I could see.

I don't know if it's the high fat or low carb. My mind changes about it a bit. I find the problem when I go too high fat is I eat my daily calories too fast. Like one big bacon and egg extravaganza in the morning and the fat content really wipes out your calories. Definitely once I make a habit of going over 50g of carbs a day I notice my hunger creeping back in as well, but I do go over 50g of carbs on gym days any way.

I imagine it's probably a combination of all the different things people have mentioned, working in together to produce a noticeable difference in satiety.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    There's such thing as a satiety chart that rates foods on how quick they fill you up and how long they keep you full. But it does vary a lot from person to person. I can't really eat high fat without eating too much because it just doesn't blunt my hunger like other foods do. Eggs, potatoes and vegetables seem to work best for satiety per calorie. Nuts and bacon don't fill me up very effectively, I could easily eat 1000 calories worth and still be hungry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast