Thread: Side Dishes page

toddo is offline Junior Member

Side Dishes

Primal Fuel
    My wife and I have been Primal for a few months now and we are enjoying the benefits. We get the meat as the main course but we need some creative solutions for primal side dishes. Any suggestions?

-todd

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I bought a spiralizer, which is a really fun kitchen tool anyway, and now I make spaghetti-like strands with peeled zucchini. I put them in a pan, cook the water out of them, then saute them in butter. Top with a little more butter, cover in Parmesan, and it's awesomeness on a plate.

You can also cut an acorn squash in half from stem to bottom, bake in a 350F oven for about 30 minutes or so, then fill the center hole with butter and cinnamon and serve. Really good.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    RitaRose, the zucchini trick sounds really good.

Most of my meals are a protein (meat, fish, eggs) and two vegetables. Current favorites (usually one green and one other): green beans, beets, red or white cabbage, brussels sprouts, asparagus, cucumbers, snow peas, snap peas, baby spinach. And I always have canned organic tomatoes in the pantry for when I really don't feel like making an effort. Brown some hamburger, add the drained tomatoes, some mexican-type spices, and it's like chili without the beans which I never liked anyway.

Almost all vegetables taste good cooked with a little bacon grease or olive oil and chopped onions. A tablespoon each of ginger paste mixed into coconut oil makes a really nice sauce. Also butter, sea salt, pepper, and paprika are great especially on the cabbages.

I don't eat much raw veg unless I'm going for the big salad topped with whatever yummy bits are on hand - a tablespoon of pumpkin seeds, a few berries, goat cheese crumbles if you do dairy, fresh basil, etc. Sometimes I mix some leftover cooked veggies or chicken into a salad for variety.

Good luck experimenting with your sides!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I was just thinking that probably not everyone has a spiralizer (though they should) and you could probably do the same thing with peeled zucchini and a grater with fairly large holes.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Baba is offline Member
    I have found two solutions which will also satisfy guests who like their potatoes with their roast: puree and flan.

For the puree I find celery root to work best: peel and dice and cook celery in broth until very soft. When it's done, remove from pot and reduce liquid to a couple of tablespoons of syrupy consistency. Puree the celery with a stick blender, adding the reduced broth and some heavy cream or crème fraiche. Season to taste and add some butter and grated parmesan. Use truffle butter for Christmas. Choose firmer kinds of vegetables as this will not work with tomatoes or spinach.

For the flan, cook vegetable in water (or steam) until very soft. Puree with stick blender and add eggs, cream, butter. Season to taste (broccoli with basil, carrots with cumin...). Pour into buttered muffin tins and bake at 100 Celsius for an hour. I use more yolks than whites for a creamier consistency.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba View Post
    I have found two solutions which will also satisfy guests who like their potatoes with their roast: puree and flan.

For the puree I find celery root to work best: peel and dice and cook celery in broth until very soft. When it's done, remove from pot and reduce liquid to a couple of tablespoons of syrupy consistency. Puree the celery with a stick blender, adding the reduced broth and some heavy cream or crème fraiche. Season to taste and add some butter and grated parmesan. Use truffle butter for Christmas. Choose firmer kinds of vegetables as this will not work with tomatoes or spinach.

For the flan, cook vegetable in water (or steam) until very soft. Puree with stick blender and add eggs, cream, butter. Season to taste (broccoli with basil, carrots with cumin...). Pour into buttered muffin tins and bake at 100 Celsius for an hour. I use more yolks than whites for a creamier consistency.
    These will make my 93 year old Dad happy (he doesnt like veggies so much but does like smooth and creamy textures) and they just might interest my 9 year old son, too (who prefers raw veggies). Got anymore simple reviews? What do you do with courgettes or aubergene? (Zucchini and eggplant to us Americans).

Someday I'll get these two books recommended here on MDA, but 'til then I'd love to read some more simple recipes.

Amazon.com: Fast, Fresh & Green (9780811865661): Susie Middleton: Books
    Amazon.com: Sweet Potato Power: Smart Carbs; Paleo and Personalized (9781936608782): Ashley Tudor: Books

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I try and make a green veggie (pick any) and have a lot of ways to prepare them (roast, steam, saute, sauces).

For when I miss something starchy- zucchini noodles, sweet potatoes or pureed cauliflower (or mash it if you like lumpy mashed potatoes). They also work great for "gravy" or saucy dishes.

I also like to do "bowls"

Stir fry veg+ meats plus a thai sauce(I have a recipe from a Primal cook book for a peanut sauce w/o peanuts
    Pull pork + sweet potato+ cole slaw
    Chicken + avocado+ sweet potato or zucchini + salsa

toddo is offline Junior Member
    Wow! Great suggestions. Thanks all!

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    Grilled avocados are great for a side. Cut them in half, pull the pit out. Brush the avocado with EVOO and sprinkle with chili powder. Grill cut side down for a few minutes over medium heat if using a gas grill.

Lots of veggies grill up really nice as well.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My latest favourite is sauerkraut sautee'd with a little bacon and spring onions (scallions in the US). Really nice served with roast chicken and drizzled with gravy.

I often saute sliced leeks in butter as a substitue for spaghetti, it goes well with a beef bolognaise.