Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Walk to Mordor with 130+ Others page 4

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I'd love to be in on this, too. Can anyone suggest a decent pedometer that is at least somewhat discreet? I have a very accurate one, but it's huge and doesn't stay on very well so I seldom end up wearing it. I'm looking for one that clips on as a lot of my clothes don't have pockets.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    I'd love to be in on this, too. Can anyone suggest a decent pedometer that is at least somewhat discreet? I have a very accurate one, but it's huge and doesn't stay on very well so I seldom end up wearing it. I'm looking for one that clips on as a lot of my clothes don't have pockets.
    I've never found a pedometer that was very accurate for me. I either use the mapmyfitness app on my smart phone or I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS sports watch. The Garmin is not cheap, but you can find refurbished ones or different models than what I have that are less expensive. I don't remember what I paid for mine as I bought it 6 years ago when I started running.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I use the Runkeeper app on my iPhone.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    JackieK - THANK YOU! Yes, I'm excited.

I'm enjoying this challenge. But if anyone wishes, I'm willing to start another one with just Primal folks. Seems like they are almost back from Mordor. I would even put posts together outlining where we are.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Vanbiesbrouck is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    I got the fitbit ultra from amazon & it has a belt clip. it's pretty tiny, about the size of my thumb. Seems like it's about half the size of a normal size lighter, then again, I don't smoke, so maybe that's not 100% accurate.

Anyway, it's pretty cool. It's got a docking station & you can track your progress on the fitbit web site, which is free. It's also wireless, so it'll hook up to your wifi & update steps automatically, even if you don't dock it. Battery is rechargeable, so there's nothing to replace. It tracks steps, stairs climbed and gives you an 'activity rating' (expressed in flowers) for how active you've been, that gets harder to achieve the more active you get. It will also supposedly track sleep and calories burned, but, I'm not entirely sure that part is all that accurate. Seems to be reasonably spot on for my walking though (you enter stride length, and can tweak it; it works off of vibration).

I love it a lot, really. It's a good motivator to have a pedometer. I used to live in the city and walk probably 10,000 steps a day, then moved to the suburbs and now walk about 4,000 in an average day (my daily 2mi walk to the train station is gone). So, it's a good way to push myself to get outside after work and get to at least 10,000 steps again. The 'stairs' part will also count any hills you walk as stairs, so I use it as a general number, but one day I did about 46 flights of stairs through a lot of hill walking & some laundry (live on the 4th floor), so I went out and walked another 4 flights of stairs just to get to 50, etc. It's helpful that way.

Also, it'll convert your steps into miles traveled, so I can look at today and take 12,278 steps into 6.38 miles or whatever, and bang, I'm halfway to Rivendell.

Quote Originally Posted by Andtckrtoo View Post

I'm enjoying this challenge. But if anyone wishes, I'm willing to start another one with just Primal folks. Seems like they are almost back from Mordor. I would even put posts together outlining where we are.
    They are counting cumulative mileage, so yes the 'group' walked past it, but I always thought of it as trying to track my one 3,400 miles as well. I'm not counting the mileage since March, just since July 28 or so, but I will hit 100 before the month is out, and then will try to get to maybe 150 next month and so on.

I do have a feeling that in a few months it'll be down to like 4 people still updating, but, I'll try to hang in there as long as I can tracking it.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    My office is currently doing a "walk the french riviera"... I might push on to Mordor after I hit Marseille in a few weeks.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I use the Runkeeper app on my iPhone.
    Me too! When I need to. It's exactly .4 miles for 1 lap around my neighborhood. I've been walking 10 laps a day for 4 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Andtckrtoo View Post

This is a phenomenal idea. I think I want to start a new challenge and make it something different than walking to Mordor. I'm about to begin my adventure of walking across all 50 states of America so I think I am going to do something with this!!

What do you all think? Any ideas?

Wait... you didn't know about this adventure? You are all in for a killer treat.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is anyone doing this? I've finally taken the lead
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234