Thread: Crossfit question... page

Shanster is offline Senior Member

Crossfit question...

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys - I'm fairly new to xfit... 2nd month in... prior to that was following Mark's e-fitness pdf download, got a copy of Convict Conditioning and was working from there... picked up some ideas from Stumptuous.com, Dan John... got a tire to flip, sledghammer to strike, harness to pull stuff etc.

So now I'm trying xfit cuz I wanted to learn olympic lifts and think they are so technical, wanted someone's eyes on me.

How do you know if you have a good coach or gym? I keep hearing so many good things about the bonds created in xfit and you need a great coach. And how these great relationships are forged.

I asked all 3 affiliates in my areas the same questions, went to the free workouts, visited each gym before committing to one...

Tho' I'm not feeling the super comaraderie/friendships/support...even tho' I am huge dork and introduce myself to everyone I don't know yet... I work hard and commit to my workouts absolutely... no screwing around or cheating.

Maybe this isn't the gym for me? Tho again, I'm only a couple months in... and I want to be loyal and learn and do well... just more time needed? And how do I know if my coach is a good one when I'm sort of clueless to the lifts etc....

Has anyone else experienced any of this doubt when they started?
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

phigment is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanster View Post
    Hey guys - I'm fairly new to xfit... 2nd month in... prior to that was following Mark's e-fitness pdf download, got a copy of Convict Conditioning and was working from there... picked up some ideas from Stumptuous.com, Dan John... got a tire to flip, sledghammer to strike, harness to pull stuff etc.

So now I'm trying xfit cuz I wanted to learn olympic lifts and think they are so technical, wanted someone's eyes on me.

How do you know if you have a good coach or gym? I keep hearing so many good things about the bonds created in xfit and you need a great coach. And how these great relationships are forged.

I asked all 3 affiliates in my areas the same questions, went to the free workouts, visited each gym before committing to one...

Tho' I'm not feeling the super comaraderie/friendships/support...even tho' I am huge dork and introduce myself to everyone I don't know yet... I work hard and commit to my workouts absolutely... no screwing around or cheating.

Maybe this isn't the gym for me? Tho again, I'm only a couple months in... and I want to be loyal and learn and do well... just more time needed? And how do I know if my coach is a good one when I'm sort of clueless to the lifts etc....

Has anyone else experienced any of this doubt when they started?
    I've had several pt. It just feels right if you click. They will keep you motivated, answer any "dumb" questions about exercise, and have a personality. If the just stick you on a treadmill and text your time away than stay clear. Mine is always correcting my form and his attention is focused on me not my surrounding patrons. Hope this is helpful.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been two two boxes. The first one didn't work for me -- it was relatively crowded, and especially because I was (and am) so new at weightlifting, I really needed more coaching, even after doing the on-ramp classes. I wound up using too much weight and poor form and hurt my back.

The second box I just joined this month, after emailing the owner/trainer for a few weeks. This is my fourth week there, and so far I'm really liking it. It's much smaller, and the coaches constantly walk around to check form and show how to improve lifts, etc. They're encouraging and supportive. They answer all questions. They stop and correct when form goes awry. And on top of that, the other members are nice. Always a plus. And...this box is significantly less expensive than the other one. Win!

If you're not feeling it at your box, is there another one you could try?