Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headaches from fructose overload? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Headaches from fructose overload?

Primal Fuel
    Lately I've been trying to eat more carbohydrates, and I find that it's easier eating a lot of fruit than a bunch of sweet potato (I've tried...). Problem is, the sweetness eventually gets to me and I get a major headache from them compared to when I eat a large amount of sweet potato. Is there a reason for this?

chia is offline Senior Member
    why are you eating fruit?...just eat more veggies and have a sweet potato a couple of times per week?..fructose spikes insulin..insulin stores fat...keep fruit to a minimum. I sometimes eat a handful of blackberries a couple of times per week..maybe a half a banana a couple times per week..an apple now and then, that's it. Make vegies your priority for carbs NOT fruit. Your body is sending you a clear message...too much insulin...so listen to it, keep track of how you feel, then you'll know for sure if this is the reason.

mrexec1986 is offline Junior Member
    Do you notice dehydration when this happens? The reason I say this is that I wonder if excess sugar consumption works in a similar manner to the effects of consuming too much alcohol. In that case, you have a headache to the excretion of water from your body.
    Last edited by mrexec1986; 07-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Very well could be the fructose.

Quote Originally Posted by chia View Post
    why are you eating fruit?...just eat more veggies and have a sweet potato a couple of times per week?..fructose spikes insulin..insulin stores fat...keep fruit to a minimum. I sometimes eat a handful of blackberries a couple of times per week..maybe a half a banana a couple times per week..an apple now and then, that's it. Make vegies your priority for carbs NOT fruit. Your body is sending you a clear message...too much insulin...so listen to it, keep track of how you feel, then you'll know for sure if this is the reason.
    Because I need to consume 150g+ carbs on average a day to support my weight lifting/sprints? Some of us actually exercise and need the carbs, you know...

Quote Originally Posted by mrexec1986 View Post
    Do you notice dehydration when this happens? The reason I say this is that I wonder if excess sugar consumption works in a similar manner to the effects of consuming too much alcohol. In that case, you have a headache to the excretion of water from your body.
    That's interesting. But fruit contains a lot of water, so shouldn't that self-rectify?

mrexec1986 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    That's interesting. But fruit contains a lot of water, so shouldn't that self-rectify?
    Why Does Sugar Give Me a Headache? | OlsonND.com

This explains it better than I did. The water thing makes sense, but I would guess that the sugar load has a greater effect than the amount of water present in the fruit.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I consume less than 150 g a day. I say I average about 130 g in a week. I lift sprint and do light cardio in a week. I usually eat a serving or 2 for breakfast with some protein. I consume the rest of my carbs from veggies. I feel fine.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chia View Post
    fructose does not spike insulin. that's why sugar has a lower GI than potatoes - because of the fructose. but let me go one further - an insulin spike is not a problem.

sakura girl, if something you eat gives you a headache, you should not keep eating it.

Ugh, okay I'll go back to eating sweet potatoes instead then. Just not a fan because when it's hot in the summer, I want to eat things that are less filling in my stomach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast