Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 meal a day

Hybrid View

1 meal a day

I love to eat and ALWAYS tend to eat until I am pretty full - not gross stuffed - but I always have a nice little food baby when I am done!

I am trying to move all my meals to 1 a day. I would prefer this be at night - but I struggle with this so I am going to use the intermittent fasting primer and move my meals 15 min at a time when I feel like I can and get it eventually to around 6 pm so I can eat with my hubby!

I was already (most days) eating 2 meals - so I am just going to go ahead and eat 1 big meal to begin.

745 AM:

2 cups of black tea

1 big avocado

2 handfuls of cashews (yikes - getting these out of the house for a while haha!)

1/2 pound ground beef w/ 1 egg mixed in

3 pieces of pastured bacon

2 handfuls of blueberries

1 Synergy Original Kombucha

-- as you can see I got too full to eat any veggies - this is not important to me - I have some stocked beef heart, liver, and lamb kidneys and I will be making some bone broth so I think I will get my nutrients just fine.

I am not avoiding veggies - they still have great nutrients in them.

I have no idea what I weigh - probably around 124-125 at 5'2" - I know I have gained a little fat lately because I have been eating 2 or 3 MASSIVE meals and with or without carbs it is still too much food.

If anyone reads this with experience in 1meals a day and wants to give me some advice please feel free!!
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

At first I was all "That's not enough food!" but then I was like, "Oh, you're 5' 2" female and already pretty thin, and some people have slower metabolisms and such." so now I'm like, "Looks good, girl. That's not bad at all. Got some liver and fish on the menu?"
    Steak, eggs, potatoes - fruits, nuts, berries and forage. Coconut milk and potent herbs and spices. Tea instead of coffee now and teeny amounts of kelp daily. Let's see how this does! Not really had dairy much, and gut seems better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    At first I was all "That's not enough food!" but then I was like, "Oh, you're 5' 2" female and already pretty thin, and some people have slower metabolisms and such." so now I'm like, "Looks good, girl. That's not bad at all. Got some liver and fish on the menu?"
    haha - I put all the food in fitday after and it came up around 1900 cals. I can put away anywhere from 2000-2500 some days so it was a lighter day.

This is kind of my reason for going to 1 meal. I love food way to much to eat 3 small meals a day.

I will be frying some liver tomorrow and starting a pot of bone broth tonight. I had sardines yesterday and had a little fermented cod liver oil this morning (I didn't jot it down).

BTW -- love seaweed snacks! YUMMY
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

Okay I am closing in on the end of the first day.

I went low carb today to keep away the hunger pangs and this did work, BUT -- I was exhausted all day. Wow, I didn't think I could get such a bad carb flu again. (switched to decaf coffee and black tea - so I am sure this did not help!)

Just going to stick this out though - carbs make me hungry.

Going to move my meal to 8:00 am tomorrow - 15 min. later -- I have eaten 1 meal many times, but it is always early - so I am nervous about pushing it all the way until night time, but for social reasons I need to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Really...
    There are lots of much taller ladies here that need to lose weight that have to eat WAY less than that. Like 700-900 calories less. I don't understand the auto-response some people on these boards have towards telling people to eat MORE...

@Crissy-
    I love, love, love the IF eat once, maybe twice if there is a smaller snack, a day style...
    It is very liberating!
    Journaling is always good.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-27-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Really...
    There are lots of much taller ladies here that need to lose weight that have to eat WAY less than that. Like 700-900 calories less. I don't understand the auto-response some people on these boards have towards telling people to eat MORE...

@Crissy-
    I love, love, love the IF eat once, maybe twice if there is a smaller snack, a day style...
    It is very liberating!
    Journaling is always good.
    Oops I don't know how I missed this earlier.

You are right about eating less - I am doing this so I can stuff myself only once a day and not multiple times a day! haha I also HATE tracking - I do it periodically to keep myself honest, but once I can really nail this one meal a day thing I will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Really... There are lots of much taller ladies here that need to lose weight that have to eat WAY less than that. Like 700-900 calories less. I don't understand the auto-response some people on these boards have towards telling people to eat MORE... @Crissy- I love, love, love the IF eat once, maybe twice if there is a smaller snack, a day style...
    It is very liberating! Journaling is always good.
    I'm raising my hairy knuckled hand, as I do generally tend to advise, "try eating more(fat, protein calories,_____)".... I do know there are many many Buddhist monks worldwide who eat 1 or 2 meals a day, every day, for many years & decades. Of course they are a lot more sedentary than the majority of you fit Grokettes. But some of them are active gardeners & some do walk a lot. My point is, less calories is fine, 1 meal a day is fine.

I personally function better on a high fat diet & 2-3 meals a day, I grok'd that back in the '90s.... I've done 1-2 meals a day, it just slows down my metabolism & makes me more tired & less happy
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I'm raising my hairy knuckled hand, as I do generally tend to advise, "try eating more(fat, protein calories,_____)".... I do know there are many many Buddhist monks worldwide who eat 1 or 2 meals a day, every day, for many years & decades. Of course they are a lot more sedentary than the majority of you fit Grokettes. But some of them are active gardeners & some do walk a lot. My point is, less calories is fine, 1 meal a day is fine.

I personally function better on a high fat diet & 2-3 meals a day, I grok'd that back in the '90s.... I've done 1-2 meals a day, it just slows down my metabolism & makes me more tired & less happy
    I have heard from a few people that they hit a wall at a certain point. I am sure this does happen - your metabolism always slows down when you eat less.

I am really trying to find a way to take my lack of moderation and turn it into a positive. I don't think this 1 meal a day is an all or nothing venture. I am thinking of keeping it to one meal a day on the days I know I will be going out to eat with family or friends so I can indulge without blowing my entire week.

Today we went to a steak house on the boardwalk and I was able to eat what I wanted and not stress - can't over do it when you aren't eating junk all day.

Thanks for the input! love other people's perspective for sure.

So here is how the weekend shook down.

I worked out Saturday..like I said before it sucked. Then I tried to stuff myself silly to make it to the next day without eating again. Sheesh.. what a goofy thing to do.. we had a babysitter and the hubs wanted to go out to eat and a movie - well I didn't ruin our night by saying.. oh honey I already ate a meal the size of our dining room table.. so I had a little pizza and little ice cream.. around midnight and we went and saw Ted..which by the way is hilarious...very dirty, but very funny.

I managed to get my one meal today late and I think I am finally at a point where it will remain late.. woo hoo.. very happy. We had a blast with our kiddos playing on the boardwalk and riding rides....so fun.

1 meal a day most days will be my goal... but I don't plan on being super rigid... just rigid enough to not gain weight, maintain and keep building strength..

I am most interested in getting my deadlift to 1.5 times my bodyweight before this year is out.

1 - 2 meals workout days... 1 meal for sure on the weekend just in case we go out... feels like a solid plan!

I'll be reading your journal. We are about the same height and weight, I probably have more body fat after 2 kids and given my age (37). I'm interested in IF and reducing meals but not ready to do it yet as I'm still nursing a baby.

I look forward to seeing how you adapt and learning some tips.
    Last edited by avocadogirl; 07-26-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Typo