Thread: weird muscle cramps???? page

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member

the last two weeks a couple three maybe four times now in the morning when i am half asleep one of my calf muscles will completely flex rock hard all by itself when i'm stretching and waking up i'm not even awake when it does it but when the muscles lock up it just kills me, it is happening to a friend of mine that went primal shortly after me and it has happened about the same amount of times to both of us. I would blame exercise but the last two weeks i have been kinda slacking, and as far as eating goes i have been gettin enough of everything i should. When it happens it's just my calf muscles my thigh muscles are relaxed and i can move my foot around in circles and up in down just fine and wiggle all my toes but my calf feels like somebody shoved a hot knife in the center of it and it's rock hard for like three or four minutes of agony. is it coincidence or what? this never happend to me before or my friend. I take a multi-vitamin. is it just like our bodies de-toxing or something? cause we were both pretty much dependant on completely processed ready to eat nutrient free food found in burger binge and the vending machines at work.

prib81 is offline Senior Member

I sometimes get those insane calf-cramps too. I've found that stretching the muscle will make it go away much quicker. Stand close to a wall, put the leg cramping behind you a couple feet, and lean forward. This will stretch the entire rear leg.

I also started taking a magnesium supplement after reading that it might be a mineral deficiency (also manifested in little twitches). I haven't had any since then. Staying well-hydrated seems to help as well.

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member

Yeah the same thing is happening to me, its due to many factors from the anxiety of adopting this new lifestyle to not eating enough veggies or water drinking.

I started to take magnesium supplements and it has become less often.

Hope that helps.

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member

Cool thanks peoples i will try the magnesium supplement thing I mean the pain sucks but i can deal with it. I will be on vacation from work for the week so i think that might help alot too cause i have a really demanding high stress job, and so does my buddy.

Tarlach is offline Member

Cramps are caused by an electrolyte imbalance. Usually it just means you need to adjust salt intake.

If you have recently bumped up potassium (fruit and veg) and lowered salt (less chips) then simply add a bit more salt to the diet until you get sorted out.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Mainer is online now Senior Member

This just happened to me too Wednesday night, woke me up from a light sleep in severe pain in my calf, had to stretch it out as indicated here to relieve the pain. It has happened in the past as well on occasion. I find it happens when I go strict. I ate a banana the next morning in case it was potassium related but suspected salt intake as Tarlach indicated.

You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

JohnOTD is offline Member

FWIW, I had these cramps BEFORE PB and they seem to have disappeared now. When I got them, I found the best way to fix it was to jump out of bed and stand on that leg (and only that leg). It hurts like a sonuva, but in about 5 seconds the pain subsides. Your leg may feel stiff for 10-30 minutes but at least the pain is gone.

www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

shastagirl Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

i used to get gnarly calf cramping from stretching too hard, but havent had them lately.