Thread: Omega-3 page

primal_alex is offline Senior Member

Omega-3

Shop Now
    I have been wondering about the ratio Omega3/Omega6 and the implications on health.

Provided our ancestors did not pour flax-seed oil onto their salads, isn't this a hint that we are more fish eaters than meat eaters?

Also, I once read a theory on why we are hairless (compared to other apes of course). The theory is that we used to spend much time in water to escape predators like lions. I always found this claim ridiculous: you escape the lion and you become the dinner of a crocodile, what a success. But what if instead we spent time swimming... to get food?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Brains are prized by hunter-gatherers. They're chock full of Omega-3. They eat the organs then they eat the far less nutritious flesh
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Brains are prized by hunter-gatherers. They're chock full of Omega-3. They eat the organs then they eat the far less nutritious flesh
    +1

in addition, the animals that hunter-gatherers would eat had a much better omega balance because they weren't being fed grains, and subsisted mostly on grass and bugs.
    for some people, fish may have been the main source of animal food, but that's largely dependent on where they were located.

ChicagoPaleo is offline Member
    Additionally, wild game and grass fed animals have a better ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 (I believe more so for pork and chicken, less for for beef). I think the problem isn't always the level of omega 3 in our diet, but the overwhelming increase of omega 6 in our modern diet that puts us out of balance.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    A ratio of 5:1 or less of O6/O3 is probably just fine. Of course you could argue for as close to 1:1 being optimal, but I don't think it is a huge difference as long as the O6 you are getting is from plants, nuts, seeds and animals rather than refined seed and nut oils.

Oh, and source DOES matter. Some will tell you that the little amount that beef contains makes it not really matter BUT http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...PCD5ELR9R8fvMg

Spoiler: "There were no significant differences in fatty acid data between groups at baseline. In response to the intervention, EPA, DPA, DHA, LC n-3 PUFA and total n-3 PUFA were significantly increased (P,005) and the n-6:n-3 ratio was significantly decreased (P,0001) within the group that consumed meat from grass-fed animals..."
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-26-2012 at 05:33 AM.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I forgot about the brain, that makes sense.
    So in the end... we lost hair to escape lions

chia is offline Senior Member
    yes, vegetable oil is the devil...does all kinds of nasty things to your body ...none of it being good.