Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some recommendations for my wife's high risk pregnancy please page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

Need some recommendations for my wife's high risk pregnancy please

My wife is currently 5 weeks pregnant. We are both very excited. I plan on buying MegaFoods Baby & Me prenatals, she is currently taking DHA 500 mg and Vitamin D3 5,000 IU. I was wondering what other supplements she should take? I just want my future son or daughter to be strong and very healthy.

I even bought Almond milk so my wife can drink it. She won't. She is very picky with her milk (it was worth a shot). Myself I stopped drinking cow's milk and switched to Almond milk but drink it once in a while.I'm not a big milk drinker. Never have been. She is drinking water though. She takes her 1 liter water bottle to work everyday. By the way we have a water softener at home that goes to every water pipe. Not sure if it's safe to drink or not. She fills up her water bottle from the fridge which is filtered.

Sadly she is not eating Primal/Paleo like I am. She follows the conventional methods. She is the type of person that needs to be shown hard concrete evidence in order to change her ways. I had a hard time convincing her to get higher Vitamin D3 IU's until I showed her a study they did on pregnant women and read some more articles to her how beneficial it is.

I want my son or daughter to be so healthy that it astounds the medical staff when he or she is born.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxguy0481 View Post
    My wife is currently 5 weeks pregnant. We are both very excited. I plan on buying MegaFoods Baby & Me prenatals, she is currently taking DHA 500 mg and Vitamin D3 5,000 IU. I was wondering what other supplements she should take? I just want my future son or daughter to be strong and very healthy.

I even bought Almond milk so my wife can drink it. She won't. She is very picky with her milk (it was worth a shot). Myself I stopped drinking cow's milk and switched to Almond milk but drink it once in a while.I'm not a big milk drinker. Never have been. She is drinking water though. She takes her 1 liter water bottle to work everyday. By the way we have a water softener at home that goes to every water pipe. Not sure if it's safe to drink or not. She fills up her water bottle from the fridge which is filtered.

Sadly she is not eating Primal/Paleo like I am. She follows the conventional methods. She is the type of person that needs to be shown hard concrete evidence in order to change her ways. I had a hard time convincing her to get higher Vitamin D3 IU's until I showed her a study they did on pregnant women and read some more articles to her how beneficial it is.

I want my son or daughter to be so healthy that it astounds the medical staff when he or she is born.
    You need to lighten up - As long as your wife has plenty of good fruit, vegetables, protein and things like folic acid and iodine your baby will be perfectly healthy.

Don't try altering her diet too much, shes pregnant and will be dealing with hunger, morning sickness, tiredness etc.

Just because you are Primal - don't push it on her - especially while shes pregnant!! LOL - Your wife may react in unforeseen ways while pregnant (irrational, hormonal tantrums) - for goodness sake give her what she wants to eat...

Happy mum and healthy diet - even with grains, is better than a miserable, hormonal mum to be...

How on earth is your baby going to astound medical staff? This makes me chuckle...

peril is offline Senior Member
    Read Deep Nutrition by Cate Shanahan. The die is already cast. You just want to make sure your wife is happy and healthy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    The die is already cast. You just want to make sure your wife is happy and healthy
    This.

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    Congrats! I have had two high risk pregnancies, one of which was twins. I think as long as she takes her prenatal vitamins and drinks lots of water so she doesn't get dehydrated and eats lots of protein and gets tons of rest when possible, everything will go well. Those are the biggies! Anything else is a bonus.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Check out Chris Kresser's website, he's done free blog posts on many health issues and a package (not free) on fertility, pregnancy, and babies. Chris Kresser

http://healthybabycode.com/signup

You might find his material to be useful. I really enjoy his podcasts, too, though his voice irritates me a little. But his data is well-researched and interesting.

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    My last 2 pregnancies were both high risk, and I was definitely pre-primal with them both. Honestly the thing with being pregnant (especially if your wife is having ANY trouble with morning sickness) is to eat what your body is craving. Sometimes that's the only thing you won't puke up.

My kids are all three healthy and happy, even having me eat whatever it was I was eating at the time. Relax, and enjoy being a dad-to-be, and love your wife :-)

Congrats!!!
    Journal

Starting: 207lbs | Current: 176lbs | Mini-goal: 172lbs | Ultimate Goal: 130lbs

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Why is her pregnancy high-risk?

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Oh God, do leave your wife alone. She should eat whatever she likes, the baby will be fine. Stress your wife out with demands for ueberbabies, and the baby will suffer from your stressed-out wife. Concentrate on being really nice to her, that's better for her.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    Oh God, do leave your wife alone. She should eat whatever she likes, the baby will be fine. Stress your wife out with demands for ueberbabies, and the baby will suffer from your stressed-out wife. Concentrate on being really nice to her, that's better for her.
    +1. Encourage her to eat/live healthfully if she is interested and asks for your help, otherwise help her do what makes her feel best and helps her have an enjoyable, low-stress pregnancy.

Her stress level is WAY more important for the baby than trying to optimize the minutia of her diet.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast