Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some recommendations for my wife's high risk pregnancy please page 2

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Eat organic! Eat grass fed. Avoid Nutrasweet/Aspartame. No vaccines or major dental work on amalgams while pregnant (I could talk for pages on this subject). Eat fish caught in cold waters only (West Coast over East Coast for sure). She doesn't need to drink milk of any kind, really. Dark, leafy greens are great! If she is generally a healthy eater, this baby will be fine as far as diet goes. Stay physically active within her limitations. Reduce stress... which means don't push her *now* to go Primal! Enjoy this pregnancy, support your wife, and be in awe of how her body is changing with that growing baby inside her! Congratulations on your new child and on the changes you have made in your life. Maybe she'll want to look at the PB when that baby weight isn't coming off as fast as she had hoped.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I do get why you have concerns and want the best. It must be a bit frustrating being a parent-to-be but not really having control over the nutrition your baby gets! That's the price of being a man I guess . On the upside, you're not the one who has the side effects of carrying it or giving birth to it!!

Even if your wife eats a conventional diet (a fairly healthy one!) your baby will be fine. And as others have said "the die has been cast"... there's not much you can change ONCE the pregnancy is underway (yes you can choose to eat healthy and stuff while pregnant, but your nutrient status BEFORE pregnancy is of prime importance).

Just relax and enjoy the ride, and trust that your wife is doing what SHE thinks is best for herself and the baby (and be glad you're not the one who has to push it out at the end!!).

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    There are plenty of studies on the importance of eating fruits and vegetables, eliminating hydrogenated oils, etc. while pregnant, so dig those up and show them to her. She may feel tired or nauseated at times, so use these opportunities to prepare healthy foods for her, that you know she'll like, as a way to pamper her. But please don't attempt to alter her food choices. She'll likely just get resentful. As long as she's open to your suggestions, you can help her prepare nutritionally dense foods, and you don't have to call them "primal." if she wants a brownie, or some bread, or whatever, remember that she doesn't stop being a person because she's helping to grow your child. It's going to be okay. When she gets over the morning sickness, you ask her to take walks with you. Exercise, flexibility, and not gaining too much weight will all make a big difference in how comfortable she feels in the last trimester of pregnancy.

BTW, all the nurses were astounded by how easily I gave birth, the size of my baby, and how healthy he was. I was eating CW at the time.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    BTW, all the nurses were astounded by how easily I gave birth, the size of my baby, and how healthy he was. I was eating CW at the time.
    Me too. My second was almost born in the car and the first labor/delivery was 4hrs start to finish after being on bedrest.

My first was born in 4 hours from start to finish, labored at home and birthed quickly in the hospital. My other two were both 2 hours or under start to finish, and were both born at home. My third baby's labor was so efficient that my husband didn't make it home and I birthed by myself. I wasn't primal for any of these pregnancies, but I did eat fairly healthy, from scratch, using healthy fats.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    And just for the record: first baby was lots of fast food and crap becasue of multiple moving etc and is the prettiest, healthiest, smartest little cookie you can imagine. Second one was healthy CW and has lots of health issues (plus was huge, birth-wise, which isn't great). So relax.

I don't mean to imply that maternal nutrition is irrelevant, because it's not. However, you can't control your wife's actions, only encourage and tread lightly. Take comfort in the knowledge that even if your wife eats CW, you will likely have a healthy baby. Chances are, she will be effected more by her dietary and lifestyle choices than your baby will.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    A healthy pregnancy is about a lot more than diet. Healthy movement, healthy sleep, lowered stress, laughter, relaxation - food is just one part of life. And, speaking as someone who was happily in the midst of a Whole30 when I "fell pregnant" as they say - there are things you can eat in your first trimester and there are things you can't, and they are not remotely what you think they should be. I SHOULD have eaten a pasture-raised pork chop and some leafy green vegetables for my dinner, but the thought of it made me nearly hurl so instead I ate bad grocery-store "asian" ready-meal. But I feel good now, and I don't think the pork chop would have done that. I also developed a massive aversion to eggs, but I think I can probably stomach egg on toast - so I bought some good sourdough bread and I will eat that tomorrow morning. The bloating from the bread will not be nearly as bad as the nausea from being unable to eat anything but fruit and yogurt for breakfast.

So go easy on your wife. Let her choose her food. She has as much interest in a healthy baby as you do. Provide her with information but don't pressure, don't ask, don't tell her how to feed her own body.

i developed all sorts of aversions. I tried couscous for the first time in the beginning of my second pregnancy and still want to hurl when I think of eating it (second baby is 5 years old). During my first trimester, each pregnancy, I basically lived on pickles and Spaghetti-Os because those were the only foods i could tolerate eating. Third pregnancy, I lost 10 lbs in my first trimester because I was eating on average 500 calories per day for a month or two. I couldn't even open the fridge. At that point, if all she can stomach is crap food, it's better than nothing! and if you try to get her to eat a new or unfamiliar food while she's nauseous, she may not want to eat that food for years afterward.

Spughy's completely right, diet is only one element of a healthy pregnancy. She needs to feel loved, accepted, desired, and appreciated. This is really the time in her life to pamper her, emotionally and physically.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 07-26-2012 at 07:29 PM.

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    First, Congratulations! Here's to a happy and healthy 9 months!

I agree with all the previous posters that you want to be available to support and nurture your wife, not instruct her how to eat. Nature has seen to it that your baby will get all the nourishment it needs from your wife. Even if her diet isn't perfect, it is her health that will be affected more than your baby's. I'm not discounting a healthy diet during pregnancy, but she will have some intense cravings and aversions and let that guide her through the first trimester. Midwives tend to counsel their patients about diet more than physicians, so if your practice has a midwife as well as doctors, you might see about meeting with her. Some childbirth preparation classes also focus on nutrition more than others. These might be avenues to helping her in a gentle, loving way.

As much as you're focusing on healthy your baby is in the womb, also consider educating yourself about breastfeeding. As important as delivering a healthy baby is nourishing a newborn. Again, your wife's diet does not have to be perfect, but breastmilk is the perfect food for your baby. It is as primal as it gets

Best to you!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast