Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GAPS diet for 2 years?? page 2

camel is offline Senior Member
    My dad did gaps for 2 months and cured his burning stomach. He's been off I for a month and it's still gone.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys, this discussion has been really helpful.

I've feel that I've done part of my healing already as I have been 90% primal for 5 months, and was eating 80% 'real' food for several months before that too (as the original reaction I was trying to cure was to sulphites, which are used in many processed foods). I had a few nasty reactions last month but have felt great during these 2 weeks that I've been doing GAPS. Greatly improved mood, zero digestive discomfort, and felt unusually energetic energy throughout the day, even despite morning fasting for the last few days.

I feel the principles behind GAPS can potentially 'cure' or at least lessen food reactions. Lots of meat/eggs/yoghurt provide plenty of L-glutamine, I supplement with a probiotic aswell as plenty of yoghurt. And I try to get a bit of variety in the few veggies I do eat - i.e. salad veggies with lunch and cooked veggies with dinner. I had chicken bone broth a couple of times too. Not everything in the diet works for everyone of course - avocadoes are a little heavy on my stomach, and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to start on bananas just yet.

I just had my first moderately-starchy vegetable today - I added aubergine to my beef chilli. I'm also going to try two squares of dark chocolate, haven't craved it at all lately but I felt like it today. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Strike that, don't think I'll have any chocolate after all. Shortly after posting this, I erm, exploded! I've only just eaten the chilli so I'm thinking it's the bowl of fresh cherries I had this morning (I've been avoiding fruit for two weeks). Reacting to CHERRIES, REALLY?? FML!

(or have I got this wrong and the starch in the aubergines has given me a blood sugar spike that has affected my lower intestine somehow?)
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 07-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Aubergines/eggplant are nightshades... some people have real issues with them.

I also disagree with the earlier statement that you have "given [yourself] a sensitivity to gluten and carbs generally by switching to strict Primal".

A change in diet often has digestive repercussions.
    You did not GIVE yourself a sensitivity...
    Though you may have uncovered some things.
    Often when we change our diets drastically it takes time for the intestinal flora to catch up, and we are paying very close attention to everything we eat. Thus, where before we may not have made any connection to an upset tummy, we now see evil lurking in every corner.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-27-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My daughter has been SCD for the past 6 years continuous, and it looks like she will be there for a good while yet.

I have a couple of comments, but I think they distill down to this: you are introducing too much too soon, and a little helter-skelter. Primal happened only five months ago, and now GAPS for only 14 days. This is not enough time for your body to settle down and thoroughly heal anything, or even reach some kind of equilibrium, even though I am glad you are feeling so much better!

After six years, my daughter can be considered "healed" from the things I put her on the SCD for - until she eats those foods again. After six years, it takes longer for the symptoms to show up, but show up again they do. I think you should settle on a somewhat short list of those foods you pretty much know your body functions well on - and are safe both within the Primal and the GAPS - and then stay there for a while, at least a month. Then, try one, and only one, new food to your list, and stay there for a while - and so on.

This is pretty much the only way you are going to get the short- and long-term effects of any foodstuff without wondering if it was the cherries or the banana or the eggplant or the whatever, because two or three of those happened to hit your plate in close chronological order.

And I would prepare myself for the fact that for lots of people, some foods are just going to be gone forever. But it won't be so awful bad - you are getting better health out of the bargain.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    I have actually just realised I had some heavy cream with a meal a couple of hours before the explosion. Completely forgot that cream can have as much lactose as milk! I tolerate proper yoghurt ok, but avoid milk because it used to give me acid reflux. Now it seems I am properly intolerant to it.

As for blaming the primal diet, I would say that there definitely is a relationship between diet change and developing sensitivities. 5 months ago I had hayfever-like sensitivity to sulphites, acid reflux, and I farted a bit more than I do now. But I very rarely had diarrhea or any actual pain. Although my diet wasn't brilliant, it wasn't SAD either, and I hadn't had any coughs/colds/diarrhea/infections of any kind for about two years.

This is not an 'upset tummy', that I'm experiencing today. I've never had diarrhea that genuinely frightened me before I started this WOE. The first time I had a bad reaction, about a month ago, I went to the loo around 30 times in one day, several times didn't make it in time and had to change clothes, and I assumed that I would be going to hospital if I started to get dehydration symptoms. I thought I might have caught something similar to dysentary. I was pissing bile out of my ass. Sorry for the tmi, but I get the impression some posters might think I'm being a hypochondriac or I'm exaggerating how ill I get when I get a reaction. Anyone else who has a genuine problem with lactose/gluten/whatever, will know how horrible it is.

I know Primal is the best way to eat and I wish more people knew about it. I LOVE all this sexy primal food that I CAN eat. But the practical reality is that most people don't understand it, most of the food industry don't understand it, so it's naive to think that I could go my whole life eating perfectly.
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 07-27-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    Pissing bile out of my ass!

Sorry, I laughed hard at this. Oh my sides. Hope you get better, seriously!

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have no problem with the GAPS diet, and I recommend it to some people for the conditions. It doesn't fully heal the lining of the intestinal tract if a person still has an autoimmune disturbance or infection. The bone broth in the diet is full of collagen and l-glutamine which both help heal the gut lining. The probiotic "yogurt" in the diet can also be beneficial in digestive health. It's really just a very strict anti-Fodmap diet. Also, the GAPS diet shouldn't be used in people with adrenal fatigue because of the non existence of carbs.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12