Thread: local farmers getting a boost from unlikely source page

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Fun.

It's a big change for WalMart to be getting people back into production, instead of applying growth hormone to their suppliers, who then go whole-hog in debt to overproduce, only to be squeezed dry by price demands the next year, and then discarded to go out of business.

If they can do it, and get apple orchards back into Arkansas, more power to them.

I personally will grow what I can and buy the rest directly from the producer, but not everywhere has as many good local farms as here. (.....yet!)

Tyson --- they treat their employees as badly as their unfortunate chickens. See Food, Inc. After I did, not an ounce of mass market meat, ever again! Animal concentration camps, and the workers looked like inmates as well.

It seems from the article that WalMart does better with the veggies than the animal products.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I remember reading a fascinating article a few years ago about how Walmart may turn out to be the savior of wild salmon. Some bright young men in the organization realized that over-fishing was putting wild salmon in danger of extinction, and wild salmon is one of the most popular food items at the Super Walmarts, bringing in more new customers than any other product. (If I'm remembering correctly.) And because Walmart was the biggest buyer they had who offered them a consistent price, the fishermen were willing to work within the fishing restrictions that Walmart gave them.

Their motivation is far from selfless, but, hey, whatever works...

Zophie is offline Senior Member

PDL, when I was 20 I went to a Tyson farm in Texas. Still to this day it is the worst thing I have ever seen. I went vegan right after that. I still gag a little when ever I see their adds on tv.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Zophie, that was exactly my response to watching Food, Inc., except that I knew the answer was local farms having chickens living short but happy lives in a chicken paradise, instead of going vegan, where chickens had no lives at all. (Except that Tyson is a fate worse than death for Chicken Kind. Even veganism with no chickens is better than chickens only in Tyson farms.)

And I had just read Lierre Keith about the problems posed by eating vegan, for health and for the planet both.