Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting weight on with the primal diet page

Mr. PK is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I was wondering if I can put weight (lean muscle) with the primal diet?

I am trying to gain at least 10 pounds, what would I have to eat to achieve this?

Just super high protein?

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

Aaron,

I have a friend that is wondering the same thing. He's a really thin asian guy and his BF wants to loose about 20 pounds, but he's afraid if he eats the same things he'll get even skinnier. Also, he started to read PB and got to a point and just blurted out "oh no! I can't eat rice!" I still do wonder how asian guys eat so much rice and are so skinny! The good thing is the BF likes steak and broccoli. The bad thing is, they both work retail (starbucks and Best Buy) so grass fed is too expensive for them.

I'd be interested what other skinny guys say about gaining muscle on PB to let him know.

Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

@ Kestrel

I don't get it, are you trying to be sarcastic or...

dcrevenge is offline Junior Member

I would think Yes, just increase carb intake ( fruit veggies and limited rice). Eat more, an work out with weights heavy and limit cardio.

The Big L is offline Senior Member

Mr. PK -

It's definitely possible to put on muscle weight on the PB diet. Depending on the individual, it might be very easy or much more difficult. The general prescription for gaining lean muscle mass is to do progressive resistance training and eat a lot of food.

I think it's a bit tricker to be 100% sure you're only putting on lean muscle mass and not some fat as well. I believe your best chance of success there is to keep the carbs at an absolute minimum, and make sure to get plenty of protein and fat in your diet. Others might advocate eating more carbs, so it's far from a settled issue. Personally, if I gain a pound of fat for every 5 pounds of muscle, I'll be happy. But I'm starting out at an extremely lean baseline.

Some of us have a lot of trouble maintaining or increasing weight on a low-carb diet, because our appetites are naturally small. Taking carbs out and replacing them with fats and proteins only exacerbates this, since those foods tend to make you fuller faster.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Malcolm Gladwell, I believe in his book "Outliers" had a section about those Chinese living in regions where rice is grown. I found it very interesting.

First, if I remember right, he talked about how having only one crucial staple, rice, led to periodic famines when the rice crop failed. In fact, in earlier times, China was called the Land of Famine.

Exposed to this problem, and forced to grow enough rice to support a family and have some extra to sell, on less and less land each generation (because of population increase and laws which split land evenly between all sons), Chinese developed incredible intelligence and persistence in dealing with problems. Malcolm pointed out that growing rice, especially on a very small plot of land, is not only extremely hard work, it is extremely varied and constant work calling for great intelligence and persistence. He quoted a Chinese proverb about how if you can get up before dawn for 360 days a year, your family will prosper. He ascribed the Chinese trait of studying around the clock, and the ability to spend far longer than we can puzzling out a problem without getting bored or giving up to thousands of years of this background.

Anyway, somewhere along the line I picked up the idea that Chinese have much larger salivary glands, and their pancreases have a much bigger concentration of beta cells than ours, from those millennia of living on rice.

Not that rice is so good for them. It's not as good as meat and fat and paleo, etc. It's just that they have adapted to some of its problems better than we have, because their ancestors had to. It was eat rice or starve.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Quite right about adaptation. We are all at least a little familiar with evolutionary theory here and one thing that doesn't get acknowledged a lot in the paleolithic community is that while MACROevolution has not progressed much since agricultural revolution, MICROevolution and adaptation has. Populations adapt to their environments to best thrive within them. That is why I am white but Grok was black. My ancestors needed lighter skin pigmentation to synthesize enough vitamin d in Europe. Food source can also create adaptations which isn't surprising as it is one of, if not the biggest, environmental factors. Most Chinese are what can be known as carb types (as opposed to protein or mixed types) as detailed in William Wolcott's book :The Metabolic Typing Diet and demonstrated in alternative medicine for decades.

Now the problem I have with Wolcott and his adherents is that they are trying to get a "should" from a "can". Yes, some people, not very many Europeans, can live a "healthy" life eating a large amount of rice or the less offensive grains, but 10000 years of adaptation can not completely undermine 3 million years worth of evolution. Generally most of us are best off with some carbohydrates, mainly vegetables, but I'm willing to put my money on it that a Chinese person will still thrive on a ketogenic diet so long as acid/alkaline balance is accounted for.

The average lifespan in China is 75 years and while they do have less chronic degenerative disease than in North America, they are only just beginning to be introduced to the fructose en mass, and they never had the industrial hydrogenated oils and processed, nutrient devoid crap so we can hardly point our fingers and say "look look eating rice is so much healthier than our meat-heavy western diet CHINA STUDY CHINA STUDY LALALALALALA

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Oh and I put on muscle and lost some belly fat in a couple weeks on nearly ketogenic so it is possible. Protein evokes insulin to store amino acids.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Very possible. I've put on 25 lbs since going primal, and I promise you my bodyfat is lower although I've never measured it. I completely changed my workout regimen. Never do really heavy lifts, but do moderate weight with high rep at very high intensity. I only do the big lifts which incorporate multiple joints and large muscle groups. Squats, deads, power cleans, kettleball swings, etc. Also do a lot of bodyweight stuff like pullups, burpees, pushups, sprints...again at high intensity.

Diet is very low carb, at times as close to zero carb as you can get. I eat a lot, but not intentionally. I eat when I'm hungry which seems to be quite often It's absolutely possible to put on lean mass without packing on fat as well. Good luck!

PrimalCon New York

Right now I make a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with banana and eggs and eat half, then I workout then eat the other half then stick to the primal diet for the rest of the day.

Do you think this would be okay because I am considered a "hard gainer" Which is i have a very fast metabolism.

Its the reason why I am cautious of switching completely to primal,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast