Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting weight on with the primal diet page 2

Mr. PK is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

oh yeah, I also do lots of compound exercises, like squats, dead lift, pull ups etc.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

I'd think it would still be better to find a non-grain source of starchy carb to go with your morning fruit and eggs. Even if you can find gluten-free, apart from the usual grain concerns, oatmeal in particular seems to spike blood sugar something fierce. Plenty of more healthful choices in the tuber department -- if you're including dairy, load em up with butter and cream for the taste, and probably some gains from the carbs plus fat!

okay, thanks everyone I guess what I have concluded is just to stick to the primal diet but basically eat more, just switch the diet up to make it work for gaining weight.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

On the PB, I lost fat rapidly at first, and only then did I begin to put on muscle.

Putting on muscle takes a while and is dependent on the right hormonal conditions, like maximum testosterone and HGH. My recipe is to eat loads of protein (about 2g per lb. lean mass), especially meat which is said to raise T levels, while skipping breakfast and lunch on three days out of the week for frequent IF. My entire weight routine outside of typical bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups) is sledgehammer exercises. I'm really happy with how quickly the muscle is packing on.

Note that insulin is directly antagonistic to testosterone and HGH, so you should minimize it. High insulin is probably why my T levels had been suppressed since puberty. When I went VLC, it was off to the races.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

I agree with Timothy about the extra protein. Also want to add that the extra protein shouldn't be in addition to what you should eat in a day, just adjust your typical calories to a bit more protein heavy. Everybody talks about eating a lot more to add size. They're right...eating a lot more will lead to added mass. Unfortunately it's usually fat storage, that's why nobody believes you can gain lean mass without packing on fat. Keep your calories where they should be, replace the carbs you eliminate with more protein while keeping the good fats high as well, keep doing your big complex exercises and you'll pack on muscle without packing on fat. Good luck!!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

I have put on 3 lbs so far on PB, but my BF% has gone down, which is not what I am trying to do as I do not get a period currently so and very interested in this thread. I donít eat a ketogenic diet because I thought raising my carbs would help with BF% as long as they are PB carbs. Maybe I should load up on more protein? I have plenty-to-a-ton of fat already included. Cant do dairy because it breaks me out besides butter, cream, and sour cream and also causes lots-a-constipation lol. I started at a 16% BF and as of this morning the scale said 14.8 but my weight has gone upÖ. I donít exercise so I am not sure how this happened but I know I need a higher BF% to get a periodÖ

animalcule is offline Senior Member

MalPaz - if you are using one of those digital scales that supposedly calculate your body fat, they are useless. Pretty much all they do is estimate based on your BMI or how fat the bottom of your feet are (!). FWIW they usually tell me I have 12%-14% body fat (as I have a very low BMI) - I have been properly measured at around 19%, and I've never missed a period.

Ask your doctor, or someone else who has been trained, to calculate your body fat with calipers, or perhaps weigh you hydrostatically.

Also, how much do you work out? If you are trying to get your hormones to balance I would be very moderate. I can't count how many runners I have known with normal amount of fat who have lost their periods. Eating and exercise are more often the causes of amenorrhea than actual body fat percentage - anorexics usually maintain normal or even high body fat percentages down to incredibly low weights. When your body is strained for whatever reason, it tends to sacrifice/slow reproductive function and other non-essentials (digestion, body temp) first, then start eating muscle. Body fat is so essential, especially under exreme conditions, that it's the last thing to go if you in many cases (see the many skinny-fat high-carb dieters).

Lekki Wood is offline Junior Member
    Hey y'all,

I am a female and trainers before have told me I am the ultimate 'hard gainer' - I must be a ball of testosterone-less oestrogen because bf analysers (I work at a nutritional science centre) always told me that I had a ridiculously small amount of lean tissue given my lifestyle. Hence no visible definition despite low (18%) bf.

Anyway, since primal I have packed on the muscle. Seriously. To the point where I am slightly uncomfortable with my size (and because of my job I know that I have actually lost fat... so it is not that). I am used to be super skinny and now I look toned (and healthy). I have VLC (~25g a day) as this works best for me (I cannot eat any fruit), so moral of the story is: you can indeed put on weight (3 lbs for me, which is a lot given I weighed 117 to start), and it can be muscle, and you don't need carbs.

Good luck!

Lxxx

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    You can but you'll need to add supplements. I lost 12 lbs in the first month and have put on 5 since and have 5-10 more to go. I eat a lot of veggies but now I eat tons of hormone free, antibiotic free meat. Buffalo, Cow, Tuna, Salmon, Tilapia, nuts, etc. I eat very high protein/fat diet and workout mostly lifting heavy things and doing the occasional sprint. It's possible but you need ot increase protein and fat (good fat) intake. I hate protein shakes but to reach my goal I have opened up to them.

PrimalCon New York
    yeah, so i realized that I must have been eating half the protein a day that I should have, So I bought a big tub of protein powder and now take it at least 3 times a day and have already noticed a difference!

ps:I know the powder's not primal but I'm a poor college student, can't afford quality meat for more than 1 meal a day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast