Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mineral/vitamin deficiency...? page

maranne is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I have been a good cavewoman and have been using FITDAY to track my meals etc. One thing I have not been using much is their vitamin/mineral bar chart telling you whether you are getting enough or not.

Now for me it says I don't get enough calcium, magnesium and iron. I already supplement with D3 and Vit E.

I am not sure if a general multivitamin would do the trick or whether fitday is not just a guide and not all that accurate? And how can I find out except having some blood tests done?

Any ideas?

Thanks

M x

Well, one thing to note is that FidDay uses the regular 'USDA' formula, which is based off of ONE body type assumption, so it's a general guideline.

Of course, just the macros alone were completely obliterated once I plugged in my personal PB goals.

You can go to NutritionData.com and it will provide you with exactly your nutrition recommendations calculated from your personal profile and then you can modify your FitDay nutrition goals with that.

Personally, I bought a liquid Mineral & Vitamin supplement that once I plugged it into FitDay, my levels were maxed out to 200% (of course the carb content in this multi-vitamin has 9g of carbs due to the fruit juice it contains, so I just balance that out with my daily meals and macros).

Seriously, you will get more for your money with a liquid multi-supplment than relying on your body to properly 'break down' a hard multi.

maranne is offline Senior Member

Thanks a lot Sassa!

It is bedtime for me now, but I will look into it all tomorrow! Great advice!

M x

hfox is offline Junior Member

As for certain supplements providing us with several hundred percent more than the RDA for various vitamins and minerals.. could that be potentially harmful?

If the manufacturer doesn't know what it is doing, potentially.

There are some vitamins that shouldn't even be taken at the same time as they either counter-balance each other or create a sort of 'internal panic' within your body.

Generally a good manufacturer puts the appropriate balances in there, to account for your food intake for the day as well, so as to not make you sick.

Personally, I ask for recommendations from the health store worker and then monitor my body and how I feel while taking it.

Oh, and to amend my previous post,

"hfox": Do note that, once again, these are USDA's basic recommendations, which may already be SUPER low ;-)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The RDA is low because they are considered to be minimum or a bit more. Not optimal.

I was low on D & E on the PB per Fitday so I reintroduced all the vitamins I had sitting around: a big multi, C, B complex, fish oil, CA, Mg, Zn.

There is no difference on vitamin types and how your body does or doesn't do things to get them into your system. Sorry, SF. There are a limited number of companies that make the actual vitamins that get used by hundreds of different companies. They are pretty much from the same pail. I guess the Chinese and Indians are doing it now, too, but maybe even the highest priced health food store vitamins are using them. There's no way of knowing. I just have more important things to worry about.

Buy the least expensive for comparable units from a place with high turnover and you are good to go. It's not rocket science, your body deals with these things all day long with food. It's the marketing of these companies that want to make you believe they, and only they, have the right stuff.

Tarlach is offline Member

Supplements are pointless. No-one knows exactly how much of any of the vitamins and minerals you need. The requirements fluctuate depending upon too many factors.

I don't why anyone would bother. They probably do you as much harm as good.

If you get enough sun and eat the right food, the vitamins and minerals sort themselves out.

Supplements of vitamin D are a poor substitute for the real thing. Everyone should be able to spend at least some time outside most days of the year.

'But our ground is all depleted of vital nutrients' is kind of a useless comment when you can't show how much of each we need in the first place. I don't see how anyone can proclaim that current farming land is not producing enough of something.

Most multivitamins just give you more of everything than you should require, however:

About 50% of multivitamins do not actually contain the amounts listed

Too much vitamin A can cause bone weakening and liver abnormalities

Some mutivitamins do not dissolve in the correct amount of time, meaning they could potentially pass through the body without being fully absorbed.

Some multivitamins are contaminated with other ingredients (like lead)

Large concentrations of vitamin E, zinc, selenium, iron and vitamin D can cause an unsafe amount of calcium to collect in your blood.

11% of vitamin users exceed safe levels of niacin intake, putting them at potential risk for liver problems."

No studies have shown that people benefit from taking multivitamins and mineral supplements.

Vitamin E has been found to increase risk of heart failure and cancer when people take anything more than 400 IUs a day.

Vitamin A can cause birth defects in high doses so it's potentially hazardous for women who may become pregnant. A 2002 Harvard study of more than 72,000 nurses showed that high doses of vitamin A led to a higher risk of hip fractures

etc, etc...
    [quote]

When you look at all the literature, it appears that the levels of vitamins in our ancestors' diet was optimal. We can best recreate that by eating a balanced diet supplemented by a multivitamin. </blockquote>

Dr David Katz

Plenty more:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...harm+than+good

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Jedi is offline Member

do you supplement with fish oil, Tarlach, or do your reckon your omega 3s and 6s are already in good ratio?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

All those negatives and caveats about supplements are sensationalist. "Be afraid, be very afraid." (The mantra of a major political party here in America, too.) For whatever might be true, or truthful of sorts, we don't know the sources, dosages, durations, or other factors that can cause all these terrible, terrible things to happen. Note my sarcasm.

Even if they do no statistically objective good, it's my rather minimal amount of money if I want to spend a bit for CYA. Or, CMA as it were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast