Thread: Omega ratios in meats & eggs page

psyte Guest

Primal Fuel

Hello,

I see a lot of information about the ratio of n?6 to n?3 fatty acids in beef and fish, but have not had much luck finding info about the ratios in eggs, chicken, and pork.

I ask because I am on a very strict budget right now and can only afford the standard grocery fare (supplemented with some affordable fish oil I came across and occasionally grass fed beef).

I'm trying to figure out which, if any, offer the best ratio. I know all of them will likely be far from ideal, but if one is 20:1 and another is 10:1, I'd like to eat more of the latter.

Thanks.

Ry
    Ry is offline Member

The omega-3 levels in all grain fed animals is so low that the ratio doesn't really matter. If possible try and stick to beef and lamb, which have naturally low levels of PUFAs in general making it easy to balance their omega-6 with a modest amount of fish/fish oil. For example even though beef might have a o6-3 ratio of 20:1, the total amount of omega-6 is less than a gram per 4oz, which is easy to offset.

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

I agree with that, i was just reading something last night that omega-3 levels in a animal are directly related to ambient tempature. As it gets colder as say in winter or really cold water the omega-3's help solidify the fat layer just under the skin and i believe keep it from getting to brittle or hard.

Which is why cold water fish have higher levels, if you test a wild animal or cow in dead of winter they would have a higher level of omega 3 than in summer.

was an ineresting article, i dont buy alot of grass fed beef, the commercial i do buy i try to buy without antibiotics and so forth..

widh i kept that link, see if i can find the article again...

psyte Guest

Very interesting info. Thank you both. I wasn't aware that the actual amount of omega 6 in beef was so little. Looks like it will be quite a bit easier to offset than I had thought.

Do you know of any info available on chicken or eggs? I'm still having trouble finding much about those.

Lekki Wood is offline Junior Member

I understand about being on a budget. Other tips are to watch nuts / seeds (macadamia being good, walnuts not so), try omega 3 enhanced eggs (as these may not be too much of a step up price-wise on a weekly shopping bill) and choose oils carefully.

Cold water fish is a great choice and not too pricey compared to a lot of meat... Look for cheaper fish e.g. gravalax instead of smoked salmon

Good luck,

Lxxx

Ry
    Ry is offline Member

Here are some numbers:

100g uncooked Chicken thigh w/ skin:

15g total fat (4.4 sat, 6.5 mono, 3.3 poly), 17g protein

3.1g omega 6

0.2g omega 3 (.05 g epa + dha)

100g uncooked Chicken breast w/ skin:

9g total fat (2.7 s, 3.8 m, 2.0 p), 21g protein

1.7g omega 6

0.1g omega 3 (.03 g epa + dha)

1 large conventional egg:

5 g total fat (1.5, 1.9, .7), 6g protein

.57g omega 6

.04g omega 3 (.02g epa + dha)

1 large omega-3 enriched egg:

5 g total fat (1.3, 1.7, 1.0), 6g protein

.6g omega 6

.4g omega 3 (.15g epa + dha)

more info on eggs:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...4c7c4a63fef3e3

psyte Guest

Wow this is some great stuff! Thanks again.

I buy organic eggs already so the Omega 3 eggs are about the same price. I'm gonna load up on those on my next trip to the grocery store.

Lekki, I had heard that walnuts were a good source but I guess that's not the case. I am in the process of researching nuts and oils further so I'll look into that also. Thanks for the tip.

psyte Guest

I found some great charts on nuts and oils:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/oils_table.html

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/nuts_table.html

I see what you mean about the walnuts now, Lekki. They're high in PUFA in general and although the omega 3 is the highest listed, it's all ALA so it's pretty useless.