Thread: Moving to Denver in two weeks....so about this altitude thing page

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member

Moving to Denver in two weeks....so about this altitude thing

Shop Now
    I live in Houston so this is going to be a huge change for me as this Texas boy has yet to see real snow etc.

I hear nothing but horror stories about moving to an altitude like that but wondering what to really expect in terms of training. Am I going to pass out in my KB swings? or get dizzy doing deadlifts?

Thanks

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    It seems that altitude affects different people differently. I wasn't bothered moving from a coastal city to Colorado Springs (similar altitude). But I hear that as long as you keep very well hydrated and take it easy for a few days, you should be fine unless you're one of those that just can't handle altitude.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I know going to lower altitudes gives me crazy amounts of stamina. And I've seen the effect going to higher altitudes has on opponents and Calgary is only 3500ft above sea level.

I don't think you're gonna pass out, but you will get gassed a lot easier for the first while.

Full acclimatization usually takes a couple months though.
    Last edited by federkeil; 07-25-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I feel like crap at altitude. In Denver I just feel generally crappy, low stamina, etc. But a bit higher than that and I get short of breath and all the other crap just from walking!

It will just take your body a month or two to make some extra red blood cells and you'll be okay. Focus on staying very well hydrated, getting plenty of electrolytes, and eating really well for the first two months and you'll likely be fine.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It's going to make you feel like crap for a week, more if your unfit, less if you are. Hangovers are way worse too.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    And booze will hit you quicker, too.

For me, when in Aspen or Teluride one glass of wine has the affect of 2.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I live at 1000 feet and spent 2 weeks in Philmont at altitudes from 6500 up to 10,000 feet. If you're like me (and I'm in my 50s) you'll acclimate enough in about a week to feeling normal. Feeling normal working out may take a bit longer. Go hiking in the mountains. The higher alt. should force your body to adapt to Denver's alt quicker.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?