Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yay, hit 400 on my DL page 2

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Agree with you 100% here. I do all pulling with hips/hammies, but I certainly feel it in my back. If I do DLs followed by bent over barbell rows, the amount I can row is much lower than if I just do bent over barbell rows. That means the DLs are simply taxing/working my back.

They absolutely work my glutes/hammies, but the above paragraph is why I have DLs as my first exercise on back day. Also, because it is a full body exercise and probably tells your body to release lots of yummie hormones, it is useful to have it on the opposite side of the week as squats. Thought that might just be in my head

--Me

P.S. I think your body has more endurance than mine (which isn't a surprise). I have always been "naturally strong", but I've also always had crap endurance. I started exercising originally with SS (though with bent over barbell rows instead of power cleans), but found that once the weights started getting up there it was too much for me to do squats and DLs on the same day. Or even squats and benches/presses. By halfway through a session I'd boink. A body part split is much easier for me to handle physiologically even with multiple exercises.
    Have you tried heavy singles? You should check out Brooks Kubik's book, Dinosaur Training. Granted, if the split works for you more power to ya...but his training ideas might help change things up!
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Invictus14 is offline Member
    Yesterday I decided to "see where I was" and I was able to do 1RM at 400lbs while deadlifting. I know it isn't a large number, but it isn't small either, so I'm pretty excited I doubt I could have made 405 though...

--Me
    Congrats on hitting the 400 mark. I thought for a while about trying to hit 500, but lost some weight and some of the force I need to get there for now. Plus my work schedule makes hitting the DL's frequently enough to make the gains I need.

Some good techniques I found for breaking the plateau if you are interested are:
    Rack Pulls - helps build confidence that you can hold the weight, and just seeing that you can move it was a big help for me.
    5-5-3-3-1 for a DL workout has been a good routine for me to build up the capacity for a big 1RM effort.

Best of luck getting that 4th big plate on there, it is a great feeling when you get it.
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus14 View Post
    Congrats on hitting the 400 mark. I thought for a while about trying to hit 500, but lost some weight and some of the force I need to get there for now. Plus my work schedule makes hitting the DL's frequently enough to make the gains I need.

Some good techniques I found for breaking the plateau if you are interested are:
    Rack Pulls - helps build confidence that you can hold the weight, and just seeing that you can move it was a big help for me.
    5-5-3-3-1 for a DL workout has been a good routine for me to build up the capacity for a big 1RM effort.

Best of luck getting that 4th big plate on there, it is a great feeling when you get it.
    Thanks for the tips! Actually, I use little plates. I think DLing from a standard bar (which is lower) may be a wee bit harder anyway than DLing with an Olympic bar with larger plates. As it is, my bar weighs 20lbs (I weighed it), so I had to use 7 25lb plates per side (and a few smaller plates). Was kinda silly looking, and the bar definitely bent into a frown.

--Me

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips! Actually, I use little plates. I think DLing from a standard bar (which is lower) may be a wee bit harder anyway than DLing with an Olympic bar with larger plates. As it is, my bar weighs 20lbs (I weighed it), so I had to use 7 25lb plates per side (and a few smaller plates). Was kinda silly looking, and the bar definitely bent into a frown.

--Me
    A couple other things I have noticed...

My gym has two different bars, the smaller the circumference the easier it is to hold and the more weight I can move. Also, I have refused to go to straps or gloves. I want to start using chalk.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    That's terrific! Congratulations.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member

--Me
    How is a standard bar lower? Also, you should seriously upgrade your bar, at the very least.

Invictus14 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    A couple other things I have noticed...

My gym has two different bars, the smaller the circumference the easier it is to hold and the more weight I can move. Also, I have refused to go to straps or gloves. I want to start using chalk.
    Chalk makes a huge difference, it is the only extra I use to DL and it makes your grip hold soo much better.
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    400 sounds pretty sick to me
    Billie trips balls

emerson is offline Member
    +1 Chalk: trainers at the gym hate it when I pull out my chalk bag but I clean up after myself so they can't say anything. Awesome job on 400; that's my goal for year end. Last 1RM pull was 365 up from 340 on 1 July. what's ur weight?

And the DL is most definitely a back exercise, isometric or not, if you have a weak or injured back you're not going to be able to lock out the weight at the top of the lift.
    Last edited by emerson; 07-27-2012 at 11:16 PM.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    How is a standard bar lower? Also, you should seriously upgrade your bar, at the very least.
    Because the largest plates for a standard bar are 25 lbs, which are much smaller diameter than the 45lb olympic plates, so the bar sits lower. I convince myself that it simply means better range of motion :-D It does look pretty silly with that many 25lbers on each side.

I love the chalk (actually, I use these little cheese cloth bags full of chalk), but I did start using straps for DLing. Despite training my grip regularly, my fingers are sooooo small I just can't keep up. My wife calls my fingers kebabs, as they are short and fat.

--Me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12