Thread: Squats and squatting free weights page

Bagwell is offline Junior Member

Squats and squatting free weights

Primal Fuel
    Anyone else have a real tough time getting "parallel" with squats? Even with minimal weight -- heck, even just the squat bar -- it feels so bizarre to squat that low. I keep reading the importance of getting parallel, but I guess I would love to hear tips, tricks, strategies, etc., others have done to make this feel more natural and more comfortable.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hip flexibility and ankle flexibility - that there's the key! this can be tough, depending on where you're starting out from. i'll let someone more knowledgable/opinionated offer tips to help, but that's your issue right there.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just keep doing it, you'll get the flexibility in no time. If it's getting to parallel and not the weight itself that is hard, add a bit more weight as that will probably make it easier to get low.
    I have the opposite problem - I can easily go way lower than parallel and so I don't get the slight "bounce" that helps one out of the bottom position.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    can you do Mark's "grok squat" stretch? I would think that and goblet squats would help with the flexibility. Could possibly consider shoes with an elevated heel to help.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    I actually wrote an article on one aspect of flexibility in the squat:

Take Your Squats to New Lows
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    I have read of people helping their squat flexibility by doing overhead squats with something very light, like a broomstick.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Oh! I just thought of something else. Ever try squatting with your heels on a plate? That quick fix can help you safely get to depth since it takes a lot of the flexibility limitations out of the equation!
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand