Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little greens problem page

merryish is offline Senior Member

A little greens problem

Primal Fuel
    Hi, all -- I've been trying to get more greens into my diet, but it's hard because most greens taste strange to me. I can eat baby spinach or romaine lettuce with no trouble, but the "hard stuff" like field greens, cabbages, kale, etc., all have a very strong, slightly bitter/medicine-y taste that I find fairly unpalatable. (I'm quite fond of things like carrots, broccoli, tomato, and red bell peppers, but I'm getting ready to cut out nightshades, so my intake of things that grow out of the ground is about to drop sharply.)

I've seen a lot of people here talking about green smoothies, and since I'm a big fan of my blender, I'm wondering if that's something that could work for me. I'm just leery of trying it out, and don't really know where to start. Most of my smoothies currently involve coconut and berries, sometimes coffee, sometimes pineapple on days I'm not watching my carb intake; putting in green stuff is brand new territory.

Green-smoothie-people, what do you put into your smoothies? Do they still come out tasting like field greens? Any suggestions/recipes would be welcome.

1 small banana
    4" celery stick
    2 cups of kale
    4 strawberries
    1 cup coconut milk
    10-12 cubes of ice

That's my favorite smoothie ever. No, it most certainly doesn't taste like a bitter piece of lawn.

Thanks! The word "strawberries" always gets my attention - that's one I can totally try.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Spoonful of almond butter makes any green smoothie taste like candy. You're welcome.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I tried making a green smoothie from a recipe in a magazine once... ended up drinking a nasty apple-cucumber concoction with tiny bits of kale in it. You better have a strong blender -- no matter how long I kept blending, there remained tiny pieces of kale that didn't want to go down the hatch easily... I ended up having to chew them anyway. I'm with you, I love romaine and spinach, find things like kale very bitter. Just make a big salad and throw in some kale among your preferred veggies. Enough carrots, beets, cucumber, and avocado can drown it out.

Oh, I probably should have mentioned I use a Blendtec with that smoothie recipe. I'm not sure how well a standard Oyster/Kitchen Aid blender would handle the kale.

Hmmmm, good question about the blender. We have a Ninja. Not sure how that compares to a Blendtec....

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Screw Kale in smoothies, cover it with oil, salt and Worcestershire sauce and bake em, Kale chips rock. I make a ton, they last about 12.457 microseconds around here.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    If you use whey protein powder, that will really cancel out any greens taste. Similar to gineapigqueen's recipe, just add whey.

Another yummy ways to get more greens down palatably is sautéed in coconut oil, garlic, onions and mushrooms. Swiss chard is exceptionally yummy like this. I also add whatever greens I have to my scrambled eggs in the morning. They will take on the taste of the coconut oil or butter they're scrambled in.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post
    1 small banana
    4" celery stick
    2 cups of kale
    4 strawberries
    1 cup coconut milk
    10-12 cubes of ice

That's my favorite smoothie ever. No, it most certainly doesn't taste like a bitter piece of lawn.
    sounds yum
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    If you use whey protein powder, that will really cancel out any greens taste. Similar to gineapigqueen's recipe, just add whey.

Another yummy ways to get more greens down palatably is sautéed in coconut oil, garlic, onions and mushrooms. Swiss chard is exceptionally yummy like this. I also add whatever greens I have to my scrambled eggs in the morning. They will take on the taste of the coconut oil or butter they're scrambled in.
    THIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast