Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS" page 56

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    See, why eat 400 calories worth of nutritionless butter? You can eat 5 whole extra large eggs for the same caloric content. I GUARANTEE 5 extra large eggs will keep you even fuller and you're going to get an exponential increase in nutrition with it. Not to mention you'll only have to burn through ~275 fat calories before you start accessing adipose tissue instead of 400 calories of butterfat. The protein will actually go through useful things.
    I don't put butter in my coffee (don't even drink coffee), but I think reason people do that rather than eating eggs or something else is that they're IF'ing (16 hour fast each day, with all meals in an 8 hour window). Apparently consuming fat doesn't affect the fast, but carbs and protein do. I don't know if the Bulletproof Coffee or other fat consumption is just to tide them over until the 8 hour eating window begins, or if there's some other reason for it.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Butter is not "nutritionless."
    Yeah, choco likes to make arguements that are full of shit just for the sake of arguing (and presumably to antagonise the person he is debating).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    I don't put butter in my coffee (don't even drink coffee), but I think reason people do that rather than eating eggs or something else is that they're IF'ing (16 hour fast each day, with all meals in an 8 hour window). Apparently consuming fat doesn't affect the fast, but carbs and protein do. I don't know if the Bulletproof Coffee or other fat consumption is just to tide them over until the 8 hour eating window begins, or if there's some other reason for it.
    I think there's some other reason. I mean, it really did something that fasting all by itself doesn't seem to do for me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yeah, choco likes to make arguements that are full of shit just for the sake of arguing (and presumably to antagonise the person he is debating).
    I don't think so. I just think he unloads a necessarily large load of information and ranting on someone a newbie who is asking for details in a simple question. Sometimes said person also may be metabolically/psychologically damaged, something he often overlooks when he is posting. But otherwise I find his posts very informative and meaningful.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I find that cream goes bad before I'm able to use it up. Butter doesn't go bad. And it really does taste the same so long as you use a blender. That's the only reason I make any form of bulletproof coffee (my usual way is to only use a small amount of butter and sometimes not any at all--the blender makes it taste good.)
    Same here. Plus it's tons easier finding 100% grass-fed butter than grass-fed cream. I love the subtle taste of some coconut oil in mine, too, so I like to add a teaspoon or so as well.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think there's some other reason. I mean, it really did something that fasting all by itself doesn't seem to do for me.
    It may be that the higher fat content in your morning is pushing you rapidly into ketosis.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I don't think so. I just think he unloads a necessarily large load of information and ranting on someone a newbie who is asking for details in a simple question. Sometimes said person also may be metabolically/psychologically damaged, something he often overlooks when he is posting. But otherwise I find his posts very informative and meaningful.
    Agreed.

Choco's efforts in self-experimentation show a natural flair for scientific investigation, which no amount of rhetoric can convincingly dismiss. They ring true for me.

Asserting that his arguments are full of shit without bothering to make any attempt to deconstruct them is extremely lazy IMO.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Here's the deal, I've been 90% Paleo since March 4th of 2012. My weight was 213 lbs. on that date and I now weigh 169. In the beginning I did not track calories, just ate Paleo and my weight dropped at about 2 lbs per week. As a curiosity mostly, I started using the Livestrong Myplate program to see where my daily net calories and carb grams were at. Surprise, surprise my carbs were between 75 and 100 grams per day and my net calories (after exercise) averaged about 1500 per day. With a BMR around 2200 initially going down to 1949 calories currently, it predicted a weight loss of one to two pounds per week - exactly what I averaged. Calories and carb grams do count, Primal/Paleo based exercise is important and adding tools like Intermittent fasting do work.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    ~ 780 cals in 7 hours (so round up to 800 cals because we tend to understimate). Exercise: 40 or so min brisk walk at +10 degrees weather in short sleeves and shorts (~ 50 F, so some termic effect), some movement/standing when cooking stuff + around the office estimated expenditure, maybe 100 cals? Plus, from body functioning for 6 hours, based on 1300 BMR: 325 cals. In other words, I am 400 cals ahead on the intake than on the burn, and I am not feeling ideal or full on the fat fast. I am not ravenous, but my stomach is starting to feel upset and I am starting to feel tired & cranky & empty
    You've burnt ~400 calories in exercise in addition to a BMR of 1300, so 1700 calories total (though I bet any money you burnt closer to 2000 calories today between daily life and exercise).
    And you've only eaten 800 calories... so a 1200 calorie deficit. And you are wondering why you feel tired, cranky and empty??????

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It may be that the higher fat content in your morning is pushing you rapidly into ketosis.
    Could be. I eat so relatively high carb nowadays I wonder how easy it is for me to get into ketosis. Nevertheless, it was definitely a hack. A non-fast with all the side benefits of fasting and no hunger. A non-meal that quelled my morning hunger on fewer calories than a real meal and left me feeling super amazing like a real fast. I can see why the bulletproof exec recommends this. I can't see anything wrong with using it as a way to get a little edge once in a while. I am intrigued now by a four-yolk coffee. I might have to try that some day. Can't right now because all our eggs have names (came from chicken pets so these are Henrietta's eggs, these are Edwina's eggs, etc.) Too special.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast