Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS" page 55

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    So far so good on the 400+ calorie bulletproof coffee this morning.
    Meh, I'd rather make mine a huge breve (latte except with heavy cream). You can get 400 calories of fat that way too. In fact Paul Jamminett of PHD says half coffee and half cream (so bought a 1/2-1 cup of cream I'd guess) and a banana is a normal breakfast for him. Like it or not there are many people that have added up the evidence and come to the conclusion that high fat diets are optimal. Butter and other fat sources contain various levels of palmitic acid, CLA's, fat soluble vitamins, or any other variety of fat types. I'm not here to argue each point. Whole books have been written. Just keep an open mind to these high fat ideas even if they seem counter intuitive. And I say this in terms of health of the human organism....not as an indictment of CICO.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    See, why eat 400 calories worth of nutritionless butter? You can eat 5 whole extra large eggs for the same caloric content. I GUARANTEE 5 extra large eggs will keep you even fuller and you're going to get an exponential increase in nutrition with it. Not to mention you'll only have to burn through ~275 fat calories before you start accessing adipose tissue instead of 400 calories of butterfat. The protein will actually go through useful things.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Is this a joke? You ate 7 nuts and a half tbsp of oil and you're blaming the fat for making you hungry?

Also, nuts aren't pure fat. (Brazil nuts are about 85% and macadamias 88).

You're hungry because you're starving yourself. I'd be hungry if I ate ~250 calories regardless of the macronutrient breakdown.
    Nope, that was my 3rd food intake, and I am adhering to the Fat Fast rules (>80% of calories in fat). I had about 1 tbsp of butter, some cheese and a couple bites of jerky at ~ 4:30 am when I was packing up for work, a few nuts and a bit of coconut oil after coming to work at 6 am, and more nuts at 10 am (and just now).

From 4 am to 1 pm (7 hrs)

All together I'd estimate: 1 tbsp of butter + 0.5 oz full fat cheese + jerky: 300 cals
    Coconut oil: 1.5 tbsp total: 180 cals
    Nuts: estimated 2 oz: 300 cals

~ 780 cals in 7 hours (so round up to 800 cals because we tend to understimate). Exercise: 40 or so min brisk walk at +10 degrees weather in short sleeves and shorts (~ 50 F, so some termic effect), some movement/standing when cooking stuff + around the office estimated expenditure, maybe 100 cals? Plus, from body functioning for 6 hours, based on 1300 BMR: 325 cals. In other words, I am 400 cals ahead on the intake than on the burn, and I am not feeling ideal or full on the fat fast. I am not ravenous, but my stomach is starting to feel upset and I am starting to feel tired & cranky & empty.

I am doing it to see if I can feel satiated on fat, the way other people seem to do. Look sbhikes is full on half that for longer than I am, and she was more active!

So far I am proving Choco's point with flying colors: calories without good nutrients are not going put me ahead of anything. Well, for me. Seems to be working for sbhikes.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Butter is not "nutritionless."

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    See, why eat 400 calories worth of nutritionless butter? You can eat 5 whole extra large eggs for the same caloric content. I GUARANTEE 5 extra large eggs will keep you even fuller and you're going to get an exponential increase in nutrition with it. Not to mention you'll only have to burn through ~275 fat calories before you start accessing adipose tissue instead of 400 calories of butterfat. The protein will actually go through useful things.
    As much as I love fat and butter-coffe. The point made here is hard to refute. I would much rather 5 eggs anyways.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Threads like these make me take random sabbaticals from this forum, and move onto more important matters....*yawn..*
    The whole raw foodist/how much do we actually absorb of calories in food has me pretty interested again.

Oh my goodness Leida, you are a very interesting person. Well if you are curious, self experimentation is a good way to do it. lol I figured out protein keeps me full pretty quickly into primal living. Extra fat does not do it for me. I would not enjoy your fat fast experiment at all.

I consider myself moderate protein/carb with fat being a little lower but, not much. It's hard for me to "add fat" so I try to get it from butter on veggies and fattier meats. I'm not scared of fat just don't care for drenching everything in it.
    Last edited by labmonkey; 08-03-2012 at 01:23 PM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Meh, I'd rather make mine a huge breve (latte except with heavy cream). You can get 400 calories of fat that way too. In fact Paul Jamminett of PHD says half coffee and half cream (so bought a 1/2-1 cup of cream I'd guess) and a banana is a normal breakfast for him. Like it or not there are many people that have added up the evidence and come to the conclusion that high fat diets are optimal. Butter and other fat sources contain various levels of palmitic acid, CLA's, fat soluble vitamins, or any other variety of fat types. I'm not here to argue each point. Whole books have been written. Just keep an open mind to these high fat ideas even if they seem counter intuitive. And I say this in terms of health of the human organism....not as an indictment of CICO.
    I find that cream goes bad before I'm able to use it up. Butter doesn't go bad. And it really does taste the same so long as you use a blender. That's the only reason I make any form of bulletproof coffee (my usual way is to only use a small amount of butter and sometimes not any at all--the blender makes it taste good.)

The reason I did this was an an experiment, to see what a 400+ calorie bulletproof coffee does, if anything. I might try a coffee blended with four egg yolks someday. I've made it with one egg yolk before and it was pretty good. I think eggs cost more than butter though.

I ate really high nutrient-wise yesterday. I ate tons of seafood and seaweed, and not just at dinner. Plus lots of meat and veggies. I figured I'd see if the bulletproof coffee let me skip eating much of anything today without getting hungry. I tend to get hungry even if I'm nourished well enough. It's 12:30 so maybe it has helped me. I'm finally hearing some grumblings. Time to go running before I eat (can't sprint unless I'm totally empty inside.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Oh and P.S. the mental clarity and feeling of well-being is exceptional this morning. I mean, I wasn't expecting that and I've noticed it a couple of times. I think that's supposed to be an outcome of the bulletproof coffee fast if I'm not mistaken.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    mental clarity is a major point for MOST fasts in general....has nothing to do with drinking bulletproof coffee.

Ah, but the bulletproof coffee did not interfere with the benefits of fasting. Plus I woke up hungry and had I fasted I would have had to whiteknuckle my way through it and probably would not have been able to sit through breakfast without eating or wanting to eat. I guess most people want to turn off their minds rather than actually try something and see what it does.

Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast