Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS" page 49

brecker is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If calories matter than eat 1500 calories of sugar every day. This sounds crazy, but if we are just talking fuel for the body this should work - right? Maybe Primal/Paleo actually workes because its not all about calories and maybe about nutritional density, regulating blood sugar, hormone balance, and low inflammation markers???

Did anyone ever think you lose weight, fix yourself, and are able to eat "less calories" because your body has lost weight, has fixed itself, and is nutritionally balanced?

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    That is not true. There is absolutely, positively no metabolic advantage to a low-carb diet. The only reason why low-carbers think this is because fat and protein keeps you fuller longer, so they aren't snacking and naturally eating a whole lot less calories. In every single controlled study ever done where meals were prepared for the people, low-carbers lost the exact same weight as the other groups. Example:

Ketogenic Low-Carbohydrate Diets have no Metabolic Advantage over Nonketogenic Low-carbohydrate diets | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

If you are having better success eating low-carb, it's solely because it better controls your hunger and keeps your hand out of the snack drawer. The "grain pushers" do not admit this because it's not true. You made that up.
    This is absolutely not true. There are many studies that show there is a metabolic advantage to a low carb diet. I even sent you some references to read but you chose not to. Even if you want to play the game of simantics arguing total weight vs fat/muscle gained/lost your comment is still completely not true. And I don't even push a low carb diet (ketogenic)!
    Last edited by Iron Will; 08-02-2012 at 08:34 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    This is absolutely not true. There are many studies that show there is a metabolic advantage to a low carb diet. I even sent you some references to read but you chose not to. Even if you want to play the game of simantics arguing total weight vs fat/muscle gained/lost your comment is still completely not true. And I don't even push a low carb diet!
    No there aren't. There are zero controlled studies where meals are pre-prepared and protein and calories are held constant. Please provide a single example. You will not, because they do not exist. The best you'll be able to refer to is poorly controlled, epidemiological junk studies like this one that was absolutely ripped to shreds as being yet another sensationalist scam:

Finally, a Study that Proves a Low-Carb Metabolic Advantage? Yeah, Right… | AnthonyColpo

Any study that even suggests that low-carbohydrate diets have a metabolic advantage have wild fluctuations in protein intake or do not control calories and have the patients eat freely or track on their own. In other words, no science was done as there was no control.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-02-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Don't attack me for this.... but have you considered Lipo? I feel like - you weigh 116.... you can't spot lose fat on your thighs and tummy.

I mean, I have a lot to lose, but if I was at a healthy weight and struggling to get the last fat off, I'd consider just getting it sucked out, lol. I hate to say it, but your body is probably just going to hang onto that fat until it has no choice. Women weren't meant to be lean, and mother nature can be a bitch about fat distribution (I have freakishly flabby arms- seriously- nice hourglass, I'll take the powerful legs that mean big thighs but I have seen slimmer arms on 300lb women and it ain't muscle.
    I have definitely considered this years back but, now that I've truely been dedicated to doing really good leg work outs the last 6 mnths, I can actually see significant reduction in size of fat deposits. Especially in the horrbile cellulite I have on my thighs. I believe proper, consitent exercise in targeting those areas does work. It just takes a lot of time and patience. Many people give up with in a couple of months. For me, it must have just been the right time. I was sick and tired of how I looked and it was time to do something about it. I have a lot of motivation right now. This motivation was soooo not there a year ago. That's for sure.

Now for my tummy, time will tell. That one is being REALLY stubborn.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It will never be as good as with surgery, I think. My other concern is that the fat re-accumulates after lipo.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    No there aren't. There are zero controlled studies where meals are pre-prepared and protein and calories are held constant. Please provide a single example. You will not, because they do not exist. The best you'll be able to refer to is poorly controlled, epidemiological junk studies like this one that was absolutely ripped to shreds as being yet another sensationalist scam:

Finally, a Study that Proves a Low-Carb Metabolic Advantage? Yeah, Right… | AnthonyColpo

Any study that even suggests that low-carbohydrate diets have a metabolic advantage have wild fluctuations in protein intake or do not control calories and have the patients eat freely or track on their own. In other words, no science was done as there was no control.
    Didn't you sent me a link to a study about a guy back in the 50's that did a 180 day fast at one point? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

stumprrp is offline Member
    180 day fast? what the hell does that accomplish... lol.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    382 days to be exact.

here is the case study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00315-0056.pdf

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Would everyone who puts 400 calories of butter in their coffee please raise your hands?

Sometimes I think there's still a lot of fat phobia around here because the criticism is always around fat and not around protein or carbohydrates. From what I understand, if there even is a person that puts 400 calories of butter in their coffee (and I don't think there is a single person on this web site who does), isn't the point of doing that that you then feel no need to eat until dinner time? Wouldn't that actually put you ahead of the game in the CICO universe, especially compared to someone eating 600 calories of chicken and broccoli?

(Cue the lecture about empty calories. Funny how quality can be dismissed and invoked as needed.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I did it once. I did not put it in my coffee, but I ate 1/3 cup of coconut butter between 4 am and 4 pm & had certain amounts of macadamia nuts, trying to adhere to the fat fast and eat 600 calories during that phase of the day to finish up with 400 cals supper consisting of tuna and more coconut oil. I can't recall her name atm, but she was huge on fat fasts (then she decided sugar was the answer), you must remember her, no? SHe said she could go on 1000 cals of pure fats (butter) and sing happily. And be size something incredibly small.

Anyway, I can testify that this neither put me ahead, no robbed me of the desire to eat. At 4 pm I was ready to kill for a stick of celery. I am not a celery fan either....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast