Page 43 of 69 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 686

Thread: The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS" page 43

  1. #421
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    Primal Fuel
    The only method to keep the weight off/maintain that works is trying to lose more weight.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  2. #422
    Glockin Grok's Avatar
    Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The only method to keep the weight off/maintain that works is trying to lose more weight.
    That is the most depressing statement of the day for people who have always been fat .

  3. #423
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    and how did you overcome said set point or did you eventually overcome it?
    I do not know that I have overcome it. I recently lost about 5lbs through extreme low carb/low calorie plus moderate carb and extreme exercise. But it remains to be seen if that's my new set-point or if going back to my regular life, I gain it all back again. We'll see.

    One thing is true. My sister and I grew up in the same family in the same food culture, pre-HFCS, back in the day when moms still cooked, packed lunches and sewed our clothes. She was always bony skinny, little knee bones poking out of her tiny legs. I always had a protruding belly and plenty of cushioning although I would not say I was obese or fat like kids are today. Just not a knock-kneed scrawny kid. She was scrawny and I was plump and we ate the same foods. On Primal, losing my excess weight back to my cushiony former self has been easy. I do not think it would be possible for me to reach the levels of thinness my own sister has been able to attain throughout her life. Not without a fight and not sustainably.

    I guess I do not subscribe to any idea that you can force your body to attain a certain level of thinness and keep it there if it's unnatural to you. If you try, you will start engaging yourself in a fight that you will lose one way or another.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

  4. #424
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You and I are agreeing way too much way too often there days and it's starting to concern me
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    As it stands now, I'm much more moderated in my approach.
    This is why.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    In short:
    CICO = perfect.
    Methods of calculating CICO = horribly flawed.

    The theory is perfect, but we lack the tools to fully understand it. That is why we must self-experiment. We need to find our individual maintenance calories. The only way to do this is to log precisely every bite of food into your mouth and eat the exact same things over and over until you find the appropriate level.
    I don't think you really need to eat the same thing all the time but I agree with careful tracking.

    I think bemoaning the flaws and failings of quantifying calories is often just an excuse for people to avoid dealing with reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    I'm planning to invest in an ice cream maker soon, but in the mean time I'll try out the Haggen-Dazs 5. Judging by the amount of sugar per serving I'm guessing it will be a little sweeter than I like (never have been a big sweet fan), but the ingredient list looks great!
    I just put frozen fruit and raw cream together in the Vitamix. Delicious and not too sweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I do not know that I have overcome it. I recently lost about 5lbs through extreme low carb/low calorie plus moderate carb and extreme exercise. But it remains to be seen if that's my new set-point or if going back to my regular life, I gain it all back again. We'll see.
    I feel like I have found a new setpoint. I think it does take consciously maintaining for a while at the lower level but the old bod does adjust.

  5. #425
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    That is the most depressing statement of the day for people who have always been fat .
    There are a few things that are depressing for those of us that have had this battle all our lives. One is that fat children have more fat cells than thin children. Once your caregivers let you become a fat child, they pretty much put this burden on you. There is the size of fat cells and there is the number of fat cells. Like every organism, a fat cell wants to live and get bigger and bigger. If the number of fat cells you have is greater than a thin person's, you have more of a struggle.

    Another is an effective metabolism. I read this a long time ago. If you take normal weight people and overweight people, and put them in an overeating situation (like a party, for eg.), the normal weight people's metabolism cranks up a bit to burn the excess fuel, while the overweight people's metabolism doesn't or doesn't as much. (I think Mark may have addressed this somewhere as well, but I'm not sure.)

    So yes, if you've had this fight, it will probably always be a struggle. But it won't be impossible. And people who have never had a weight problem will never understand, sometimes to the point of arrogance.

  6. #426
    Iron Will's Avatar
    Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Nah, it was traditional Russian candy, filled chocolates, and sweet condensed milk toffee-style stuff, caramels - they still know how to make really yum sweets down there. Stuff here is never tasted as good. Most ice-cream was old style cream and sugar one, I am guessing or hoping. Pasteurized, of course, but our dairy is pretty versatile with may things not available here. Interestingly, after yesterday's episode I am not craving it any more. Watermelon on another hand... and cherries... (sigh). *Administers another lick of coconut butter*.

    I had experience with consuming those healthy gummies daily after my preg in the afternoon, cherry twizzers, smal bag from a vending machine, as I recall. Once I dropped this habit, along with the healthy serving of berry field pastry after supper, my pg weight start going down.... that's all it took from 150+ to ~ 138 lbs. Just that daily bag of healthy candy.
    Leida what part of Canada are you in?

  7. #427
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    Well isn't in a round about way what i was saying the the "calorie" may be a poor measure of human fuel? I never claimed it was not due to errors from calculation the calories of food or energy expenditure.

    But I do agree 100% you must operate in an energy deficit. I am just saying there may be more to it then counting calories that is all
    I think a calorie is a fine unit of energy. What varies is the needs of the individual. In today's food obsessed world, people tend to eat with their eyes instead of their stomachs. They have a preconceived notion of what a dinner plate should look like and wind up eating based on their eyes instead of hunger for so long it screws up their hunger mechanism. Our methods of calorie calculation seriously needs work. There needs to be a way to take hormones into the equation since people with naturally high levels of testosterone and low levels of cortisol are going to have much fewer issues with body composition than those with a slow thyroid and higher estrogen output.

    Ultimately, it comes down to personal responsibility. You need to not go into life with preconceived notions of how to eat. No doctor can tell you what's best for you. You have to take matters into your own hands and develop your own perfect dinner plate.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  8. #428
    Hawkward's Avatar
    Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kansas City area
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just put frozen fruit and raw cream together in the Vitamix. Delicious and not too sweet.
    Excellent idea. Depending on which fruit I use, maybe I'll throw some shredded coconut in there too

  9. #429
    Iron Will's Avatar
    Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I think a calorie is a fine unit of energy. What varies is the needs of the individual. In today's food obsessed world, people tend to eat with their eyes instead of their stomachs. They have a preconceived notion of what a dinner plate should look like and wind up eating based on their eyes instead of hunger for so long it screws up their hunger mechanism. Our methods of calorie calculation seriously needs work. There needs to be a way to take hormones into the equation since people with naturally high levels of testosterone and low levels of cortisol are going to have much fewer issues with body composition than those with a slow thyroid and higher estrogen output.

    Ultimately, it comes down to personal responsibility. You need to not go into life with preconceived notions of how to eat. No doctor can tell you what's best for you. You have to take matters into your own hands and develop your own perfect dinner plate.
    Wow Choco. Have you begun to see the light?

  10. #430
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Wow Choco. Have you begun to see the light?
    But CICO still remains because those hormones play a role in the CO
    Billie trips balls

Page 43 of 69 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •