Page 41 of 69 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS" page 41

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's called isostasis, iirc, and it is not contradictory to the CI vs CO theory, if you consider that appetite is tuned into your real caloric needs. Eating as much as you want, with healthy appetite (i.e not depressed or heightened by consumption of certain chemicals in foods) by definition brings you to maintenance. Eating less than you want, i.e being chronically hungry, needs to be supported for long enough for the deficit to accumulate for the weight to come off.....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Nah, it was traditional Russian candy, filled chocolates, and sweet condensed milk toffee-style stuff, caramels - they still know how to make really yum sweets down there. Stuff here is never tasted as good. Most ice-cream was old style cream and sugar one, I am guessing or hoping. Pasteurized, of course, but our dairy is pretty versatile with may things not available here. Interestingly, after yesterday's episode I am not craving it any more. Watermelon on another hand... and cherries... (sigh). *Administers another lick of coconut butter*.

I had experience with consuming those healthy gummies daily after my preg in the afternoon, cherry twizzers, smal bag from a vending machine, as I recall. Once I dropped this habit, along with the healthy serving of berry field pastry after supper, my pg weight start going down.... that's all it took from 150+ to ~ 138 lbs. Just that daily bag of healthy candy.
    My fiance is a russian pollock mix, his mom always have those candies at her house....they are the BANE of my existence. lol

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I hit a set point and stayed there for half a year. I could eat as much as I wanted and not gain. I could eat less and not lose. I think set points throw a wrench into any neat and tidy theories about calories in or out.
    and how did you overcome said set point or did you eventually overcome it?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    My fiance is a russian pollock mix, his mom always have those candies at her house....they are the BANE of my existence. lol
    You're marrying someone who's half fish?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Stacking looks to be a young healthy guy. Getting across preventative change to a fellow like that is damn near impossible. What is he to expect from changing what he does? If you already feel good and are in relatively good health....well its not going to take you from there to being superhuman. You have to be able to see the wide and long view.
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

I am 26. I am healthy. I don't have food sensitivities. I ate grains every day without digestive stress or developing any kind of disease. Yes, my skin is clearer and my allergies have improved significantly since adopting primal-style eating, but the simple fact is I can get back on bread tomorrow and not see any real changes in body composition or watch health degrade much. I've never had issues with food, overeating, binging, weight management, etc. One may say it'll be less stressful to me to add all foods back in since I won't pay such close attention to things other people make/what's on the menu at restaurants.

But I'm doing this for preventative health. StackingPlates may not have issues with grains. Yet. It typically takes people into their 40's and 50's to start falling apart from diet. Joints start to ache, you can't run as fast as you used to, your weight starts to creep up on you despite eating the same diet, you can't maintain your exercise schedule because of these things, you start developing new allergies/skin conditions, etc. This is longterm build-up of lectins in foods, and effects from decades of phytate slowly robbing nutrients from your skeletal and connective tissues. It takes longer than 25 years for this to happen to most of us. It takes 40-50.

And then we hit our 60's. The chronic inflammation from these mild toxins translates into arterial disease. Plenty of seemingly active/healthy people drop dead every day from diseases of society. Being "fit" on the outside doesn't mean a damn thing about being healthy on the inside. I'm doing this because I want to go quietly in my sleep, not bedridden for a slow 6 month decline with an IV drip in my arm, dying of cancer or requiring open heart surgery. No thanks. All the exercise in the world won't prevent that stuff. That's diet and environmental conditions. I want quality of life. All the heavy lifting I do and all the protein I consume is rough on my body. I know this, and it may take a few years off my life. But I'd rather live 80 healthy, active years with no chronic disease than drag on into my 90's taking pills every day on some starvation diet unable to move off the couch because my joints are killing me.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-01-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I hit a set point and stayed there for half a year. I could eat as much as I wanted and not gain. I could eat less and not lose. I think set points throw a wrench into any neat and tidy theories about calories in or out.
    I actually think that CICO is still true. In your case the "calories out" was just changed all the time depending on how much you ate for some reason I think.

Overall i just think CICO is a 100% correct always but CO can change depending on what you eat. For example you could say CICO is incorrect because protein has a thermogenic effect but this thermogenic effect is the same as CO. So the theory remains.
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    @Stackingplates' long rant.

Oh goodness, not the Okinawans. Again. OK. One more time just in case Choco hasn't beat this point home often enough. Paleo does not necessarily equal low carb. There is a wide range of healthy carb levels. Based on your activity level, you may very well have been eating too little carbs *for you*. So your workouts were not great and you chucked the whole thing instead of making it work. And you have this weird need to ridicule those of us who do make it work.

About clean eating, you showed the flaw in the study yourself. It was not long term. So, you like your pizza and ice cream. If you are young and super active, it won't hurt you once in a while. Enjoy those treats on a regular basis, not so much. I would like to see how you look at age 45. 'Nuff said.
    You and I are agreeing way too much way too often there days and it's starting to concern me

Seriously, there are so many food choices out there I'm not sure why anyone would NEED grain flour. How someone can't get their carb requirement out of white rice, potatoes and bananas boggles my mind. Take 6 bananas and broil them in the oven. Cover them with raw honey or maple syrup. Then chase it with 2 lbs of sweet potato fries. All primal, and tons of sugar and starch. If that can't fuel a deadlift session may God have mercy upon your soul.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    That's one lady in how many? 90% of people increase their calories and roll right back to their starting weight or above, according to statistics.

My personal no dieting experiment continues. Cleaned up today, no intake of anything evil, but berries off the bush in the yard. Deadlifting session + support (intense, 1 hr long), walking and berry picking. No excessive fullness. Added another 1 lb of weight, to the total of 126.6, up 5.6 lbs since last Friday.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-01-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemathers View Post
    Ice cream is highly nutritious as long as you get some that doesnt have all the yucky fillers they like to use. It has tons of sugar which is good for you and feeds the body the energy is truly needs. It even has natural progesterone in it, calcium, all kinds of goodies. Certain candies are really good for you as long as they use real sugar and not HFCS. Especially if its something like gummy bears that also have gelatin in it.
    I have had great luck with ice cream. However, I make good stuff.

Organic, grassfed milk or coconut milk
    Whole sugar (I prefer coconut sugar) blended with stevia
    Pure cream, no additives.
    Egg yolks.
    Fruits, nuts, dark chocolate, quality liquor.
    Lots of pure unflavored gelatin as a thickener.

That is highly nutritious ice cream. It's not something I'd make a dietary staple, but it's far from empty calories.

That being said, stay away from Ben & Jerry's and the majority of crap on the shelf. There are very few good ice creams on the shelves, save for a few gems like Haagen Dazs Five. The best ice cream is always the ice cream you make at home. And it tastes better than ANY storebought ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're marrying someone who's half fish?

Page 41 of 69 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast