Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS" page 29

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Which Grock did not do....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    The "make sure you are eating clean" community are mocked incessantly by people in the know. They are known as "cleantards." Eating clean has nothing to do with losing weight.
    I suffered weight problems my whole life, cleaning up my diet definitely helped me lose excess fat. In this context, 'eating clean' is synonymous with 'getting proper nutrition'. There is no way to get the proper nutrition your body needs to have a smooth running metabolism, and be free of the metabolic syndrome illnesses that plague so many, if you are eating sugary/ processed junk food.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    if you are eating sugary/ processed junk food.
    The addictive qualities alone do you in.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Cals in/cals out vs. quality of calories is a false dichotomy. Quality of calories determines how miserable you're going to be when adhering to cals in/cals out.
    I'm requoting this because THIS is what matters.

It's not that beef, vegetables and sweet potatoes have some metabolic advantage versus ice cream, pizza and fried chicken in equal macronutrient profiles. Technically, you can be successful eating junkfood. I see it all the time on the Facebook groups I'm part of. People eat Poptart sandwiches, protein powder "sludge" bowls and mutant cheesecakes covered in "Walden Farms calorie-free chocolate/caramel/strawberry syrup" as long as it hits their macro and calorie goals - and they're leaner than I am. It's disgusting. However, you will feel SO MUCH BETTER eating quality calories because you'll actually get sustainable energy and micronutrients along with them. You can only live on fake cheesecake and protein powder so long until your body starts robbing minerals from your bone structure and you become exhausted from the wild blood sugar swings and oxidized, rancid fats that form the foundation of your diet.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep, you're wrong. Not bitter at all, just bored. In fact I agree with Chaco's OP although he could have stated it in a little less inflammatory way. I just think we go around again on this same argument every so often. It always goes the same way. It starts out as a discussion that devolves in to name calling and people being offensive/offended. And then we do it again. Rinse, repeat.

Why do you jump on every post of mine and try to make a personal issue out of it?
    That would have defeated the purpose. The goal was to get as many people to read it as possible. If that gets a handful of people crying because it doesn't fit into their currently-believed paradigm after decades of yo-yo dieting on whatever plan is currently on the front cover of Shape Magazine, I don't really care. Some people are beyond help and they'll be bitter and miserable no matter what you do. A few people seemed to take it all in with thanks, and those are the people that are worth helping.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    However, you will feel SO MUCH BETTER eating quality calories because you'll actually get sustainable energy and micronutrients along with them.
    I feel better when I eat ample amounts of non Primal food, like refined grains, so your statement of fact should be reiterated as your opinion. May work for some, may not work for others...

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You can only live on fake cheesecake and protein powder so long until your body starts robbing minerals from your bone structure and you become exhausted from the wild blood sugar swings and oxidized, rancid fats that form the foundation of your diet.
    Stop being a scare-monger by posting unrealistic examples. Hit your macros and micros and eat whatever you want if you have room left over. Simple, enjoyable, and effective.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    I feel better when I eat ample amounts of non Primal food, like refined grains
    so why do you eat primal?

stumprrp is offline Member
    I put on a hell of alot of muscle after i lost 90 pounds by having a post workout shake of ice cream, whole milk, protein powder, eggs, peanut butter, and sometimes chocolate syrup. However eventually i got pretty fat again, lol.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    so why do you eat primal?
    I don't believe I've ever made that claim? I may do so by accident on occasion (more common on a rest day than not), but if I partake in strict Paleo™ for long periods while training it is a disaster...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was able to walk 3000 miles on a diet of rancid vegetable trans fats, flour and sugar. I did have trouble keeping the weight off during the hiking, however. The weight crept back on me slowly but surely the longer I was out there.

It's a lie that eating healthy will result in better performance. I just was hiking with a guy who has hiked 10,000 miles in the last two years on poptarts and peanut butter and candy. He was pretty young, but even in my mid-40s I was able to do almost the same (same diet, fewer miles.) There was a younger woman with us in her 20s on the poptart and peanut butter diet. She could do the miles but she was not skinny. There was an older man with us in his 60s. He was not eating any sugar or flour. He (and his wife at home) had achieved amazing results cutting only those two things from their diets. They have had all the same health-related results that are trumpeted here. Plus they lost weight without calorie-counting. The wife lost 130lbs.

What eating healthy does to you is make you have better mental health, clears up issues like snoring and sleep apnea, clears up a lot of allergies, acne and IBS things, dramatically reduces hunger for some people (my friend talked about eating three heaping plates of pasta for dinner and feeling hungrier after every plate, then falling into a coma on the couch). We compared notes and everybody we know at our age (middle-age and above) has had amazing health effects from cutting flour and sugar, health effects we could not achieve with diet and exercise alone. Cutting the flour and sugar really seems to be the common theme among us even though among us were folks who continued to eat all grains so long as they were not flour as well as not worry too much about stuff like white potatoes, quality of meats or oils, amount of sugar from fruit/dried fruit. Some of us did, some of us didn't, but we all had the same results anyway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast