Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS" page 24

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    And, ironically on my calorie counting thread, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html, it was Choco who was adamantly arguing that calorie counting was bogus and that all I needed to do was to eat copious amounts of sweet potatoes on alternate Tuesdays and Thursdays or some such schedule and the extra weight would melt off.

It's interesting to watch how his thinking changes.

The point of what I said in my MDA Friday success story post was that it is not a question of CICO or GCBC. You don't have to pick one or the other. It's both. The quality of the calories you eat make it easier to restrict the quantity without white knuckled hunger.

This! Perfectly explained in a sentence!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I will say, when I came here and saw people not losing I was all "smug" and "oh they need to watch calories", "this is easy". Well, it's not. It's easy to get rid of the junk and eat healthy foods. It's hard to "eat less" if that is what you need to do. I don't crave sweets or junk anymore. I don't want a potato. I don't want dark chocolate, wine or butter coffee. I just you know, want to be able to eat a piece of fruit daily and have a meal that fuels me for a while and be able to lose weight.
    Exactly. And I really hate the smug people who don't get that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Really, I won't. I'll just put on weight.
    +1 I made a perfectly primal roasted veggies (turnips, carrots, celery, onions, a bit of potatoes) with chicken innards (hearts gizzards) in leftover roasted chicken drippings with a touch of cheese and I had to stop myself from eating and eating it. It was greasy from the drippings, and I avoided eating potatoes... and I was a pound heavier this morning than yesterday morning because I over-ate so badly. No more roast veggies with chicken entrails for me.

I am absolutely the same with salmon and chicken, I can probably eat half of the whole roast chicken on my own if I don't stop myself.

And whenever I broil ribs, the 3-4 oz serving that is enough calorically for my half a day intake is like an appetizer! Heck, I can eat a pound of browned ground beef easily enough too or six eggs in a sitting.

Primal, fatty, no dice.

Now, i just had a smoothie with like a cup of cranberries and mixed currants and 2 scoops of whey and I am so stuffed I truly can't look at food.

Fat does not satiate some people.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-28-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I'll tell you what you can't overeat on: pemmican. The real stuff, not the US Wellness stuff. Beef tallow and dried beef. It tastes horrible. It's very hard to choke down. But it provides long-lasting energy and satiety for climbing mountains.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'll tell you what you can't overeat on: pemmican. The real stuff, not the US Wellness stuff. Beef tallow and dried beef. It tastes horrible. It's very hard to choke down. But it provides long-lasting energy and satiety for climbing mountains.
    lol I always wondered about real pemmican...that gross eh?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Wow Xlanochka... I'm so glad you stopped by to educate all us ladies who have been doing this for a long time and are very aware of our cyclic fluctuations.

Pompous much?
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    lol I always wondered about real pemmican...that gross eh?
    Yeah, like eating beef wax.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah, like eating beef wax.
    Pass!

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xlanochka View Post
    I'm not trying to direct this reply to you, but I've been reading various threads across the forum, I've been seeing A LOT of posts just like this one. "No I can't eat as much fat as I want because I tried it for a week and it just makes me fatter! No ________ doesn't work for me because I tried it last month and I got fatter!" It's posts like this that makes me skeptical of some people's dedication and patience when it comes to certain weight loss methods. Fluctuations on the scale are not a direct indication of body fat loss or gain, nor is the scale a representation of your body composition. .............
    I have to comment on this as well. I'm a man so I will never have any experience with what it's like to be a woman and what it's like to deal with monthly cycles or menopause. That being said, I have to agree with you xlanocka. I think you hit the nail right on the head. Time is the variable.

We have to think of our bodies as a compilation of previous occurences. For me, I've had 37 years of previous occurrence to trade with. For anyone to believe that they can change what has happened to their bodies over an entire lifetime with only a few weeks is sadly mistaken.

For someone who is 45 years old and has just changed to the Paleo stly of eating has 45 years of previous occurrence that needs to be fixed before they are going to be able to move forward with a healthy optimal hormonal balance. I'm not saying it's going to take another 45 years but it's definitely going to take years to get back to optimal.

This is why caloric deficit doesn't work. One must learn to regulate hormone levels with their food intake to achieve a healthy metabolism and body weight. I'll tell you why calorie deficit doesn't work. Lets use a 45 year old woman who has been eating 2000 calories of what she considers healthy foods. She has average activity but is currently 15 pounds overweight. She decides to lower her calories by 500 calories a week so she'll loose 1 pound a week for 15 weeks.

There are a couple of things that are going to happen here. First off, the most obvious, She's going to feel hungry more often. Secondly, her body will understand that it's in a time of lower nutrition so it's going to slow it's metabolism. The reason is so it doesn't need as many calories to preform life giving tasks. Notice I say life giving tasks, not general running to the store to pick up milk after driving the kids to soccer practice and making sure that husband doesn't burn the house down because it's his turn to cook dinner. The lower metabolism is also going to make her body want to sleep more because when the body is sleeping the amount of energy being used is very low.

That's just part of the story. She can't sleep more because she's still a mother, still a wife and still has a job so she continues to push her body at the same speed as before even on a caloric deficit so now she increases her stress levels which in turn raises the stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol causes the body to store body fat in the stomach area. In addition to the increased cortisol, the body is still believing that it's in a time of lower nutrition so on top of down regulating metabolism, it also begins to store fat while lowering muscle mass because it's too caloricly expensive to carry.

Evolutionarily women are more important than men. That's why women's bodies deregulate metabolism and store fat so much quicker than men. To survive and give life to the next generation. I think you're all pretty awesome myself! Even if the weight is lost, once the caloric deficit is restored the body gains more weight back because the metabolism has now been lowered and a new even lower caloric deficit is needed to loose the same 15 pounds that she has gained back. Sound familiar?

Its so important to firstly eat the proper macro ratios that we are evolutionarily meant to eat. High protein and fat with low carbohydrates. Secondly (and this begins with proper nutrition) is to make sure you eat for hormonal regulation. Eat foods that regulate insulin, balance estrogen and testosterone and lower cortisol.

Lastly when one is doing this I'll go back to my original point. Don't expect years of chronic dieting and calorie reduction to be fixed over night. Take time with your body it deserves it. After all, it's been dealing with what you've been doing to it for years.
    Last edited by Iron Will; 07-28-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Cals in/cals out vs. quality of calories is a false dichotomy. Quality of calories determines how miserable you're going to be when adhering to cals in/cals out.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast