Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS" page 23

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That Katch-McArdle thing puts me at 2500+ calories!
    That's the funniest thing I've read all day... and saddest.

At least other BMR calcs have said like 1800 or so... still much too high.

I have to eat LESS than half of that to lose weight very slowly... averaging .5-1lb per week.
    And I'll keep doing it as long as it takes...
    But I do HOPE that my intake requirements don't go too low (like sub 1000 cal), and stay there.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    "Lots of talk", that's what it is. To a sugar burning metabolism, yes, I can see why the yo-yo effect happens the minute the "diet" restrictions are lifted. If you are fat adapted and just eat a little more gradually, you figure out what is your new maintenance level. This is not a "diet" that then goes out the window the minute the pounds are off. The changes in the way of eating are permanent.

Losing weight slowly is a good thing. But you have to eat under BMR numbers to lose anything. The thing is that the BMR chart numbers are pretty useless. BMR formulas are only a place to start. They have to be tailored for the individual.

And I did have patience. For months. And gained weight. I cut the portions down and the weight fell off.
    On My Fitness Pal the big thing at the moment is that you should never eat under BMR and not too far below TDEE. That's the crazy thing BMR is not always accurate.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    That Katch-McArdle thing puts me at 2500+ calories!
    That's the funniest thing I've read all day... and saddest.

At least other BMR calcs have said like 1800 or so... still much too high.

I have to eat LESS than half of that to lose weight very slowly... averaging .5-1lb per week.
    And I'll keep doing it as long as it takes...
    But I do HOPE that my intake requirements don't go too low (like sub 1000 cal), and stay there.
    You very much sound like you fit into the category of folks that I was talking about earlier...

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    You very much sound like you fit into the category of folks that I was talking about earlier...
    Honest, if I ate that much I'd gain faster then I could keep up with it.

How I figured out how much I needed to eat to lose... I kept eating LESS until I started losing weight.
    And then because I have medical issues I had to adjust and make sure not to under eat TOO much... because if I don't mind myself I'll just not eat because of nausea and lack of hunger sometimes.

I can't "fix" that right now.
    No way.
    I seriously can't eat that much food. Even thinking about it makes me feel gross.
    And even if I could, I can't afford to gain the weight that I've lost back.
    Surgeons don't want their heavy patients gaining weight.
    As if I would even know how to "fix" it...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I've discovered a way from people who REALLLY want to dismiss calories in calories out.

Bulimia nervosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    That statement is absolutely completely ridiculously FALSE.
    Some people say they still overeat with primal, but I say they're not doing it right. Eat a large meal of high-fat animal protein with low-fiber veggies, and you will struggle to finish it. If you're not struggling to finish a meal then it probably doesn't have enough fat.

I honestly believe that if someone like me, who got obese for emotional/psychological reasons, can stick to this woe and lose weight with it, then probably most people can. The physiological changes have been so dramatic, the sugar addiction so completely kicked in the teeth, this is something I never could have done by simply reducing calories and having a strong willpower. I haven't much needed to worry about willpower for a while. Changing macronutrient ratios is what worked for me, so you cannot convince me that a carb calorie is the same as a fat calorie. It might be the same thing in the lab, but in my belly it's not remotely the same.
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 07-28-2012 at 01:05 AM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    Eat a large meal of high-fat animal protein with low-fiber veggies, and you will struggle to finish it.
    Really, I won't. I'll just put on weight.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I have found an exercise program that helps heal a lot of the hormonal imbalances and other weight loss impediments. It is based on physical therapy and correct spine and body alignment. It improves neuro-kinetic flow. At first you may gain a few pounds as you build more spinal muscle density but you lose inches, regardless. In a month, I have lost my typical pound a week, but I have lost over 13" from upper arms, waist, hips, calves, abdomen etc. I really like the science behind this program and the fact that it is safe for people of all ages and fitness levels. Teresa Tapp is the woman who developed the system and her website is T-Tapp.com.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Just to add more evidence to my 'You have to find what works for you' argument, and that everyone is differnt in the way they respond to food, excersie, stress, chocolate cake etc here is a BBC documentary from a few years ago, called 'Why are thin People not fat'.

It's been a while since I watched it. But IIRC the conclusion was some poeple are naturally skinny and cannot put on weight easliy no matter how hard they try, one guy even gained muscle by over-eating, and a lot of them couldn't even get the calories down, no matter what they ate, they bodies just rejected the food.

So I extrapolate that if some people can't get fat, others will gain weight if they so much look ate doughnut, most of us will be somewhere between on the scale. Just like some of us get arms like tree-truncks from a few pull-ups and others work like manics and are still not bulking up fast.

You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Well I believe that you do your best to monitor your food, eat primal and you weigh, track your food etc. It might just be something that hasn't been discovered yet that is causing you not to lose. I am friends with a few female "tortured" and "intense" artists types who ONLY subsist on vegetables (A LOT of veggies) and they are beyond ridiculously (although they don't look bad) skinny, they have really great skin and shiny healthy hair so i don't think they are lacking vitamins....maybe they take multivits...who knows...anyway my point was I just can't believe that eating only vegetable will make anyone fat.
    I was a vegan for a while and a long time vegetarian. Still fat.

I have lost 30lbs eating primal, and feel great. However I have stalled. HIndsight is 20/20 but I feel like my issue has always been a gluten/wheat issue and basically years spent starving myself in cycles have messed stuff up. I think the first 30 lbs was my body healing from the wheat as it wasn't just weight loss but anxiety, back pain, skin clearing up, less acid reflux. I don't think it had anything to do with calorie restriction as I was eating pretty much the same number of calories.

I'm exploring the nightshade issue- when I was losing, they were not in my diet, but my stall kind of came during summer when tomatoes are everywhere. I don't think the calories from tomatoes add fat, but who knows, maybe I retain water or fat cells to protect me from them (I get bad reflux from tomatoes, eggplant etc.).

I won't drop my calories lower- I feel weak and miserable and can't "find the mix" that makes me function. I can't imagine I feel like shit for any reason but low calorie count- on my day to day, I eat cleaner now than when I was losing with far fewer cheats and a lower calorie count.

There is so much to weight loss for some people..... I just hate that every bit of advice by CW is "will power" and "eat less". I'm glad there are some resources that consider some other issues.

I will say, when I came here and saw people not losing I was all "smug" and "oh they need to watch calories", "this is easy". Well, it's not. It's easy to get rid of the junk and eat healthy foods. It's hard to "eat less" if that is what you need to do. I don't crave sweets or junk anymore. I don't want a potato. I don't want dark chocolate, wine or butter coffee. I just you know, want to be able to eat a piece of fruit daily and have a meal that fuels me for a while and be able to lose weight.

Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast