Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS" page 20

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've never had any weight to lose so I really can't relate to anything that's written here
    That said, I really think calorie restriction is a bitch and counting (carbs or calories) sounds depressing.
    I wouldn't want to live like that.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    How many of these sensational, emotion-driven and completely ridiculous statements and thread titles do we see here on MDA on a daily basis?
    Says the man of a million exclamation points plus bold and red in nearly every post.

I just came back from a backpack trip with four other people. The other four are hiking from Mexico to Canada and have been on trail since April. No lack of exercise there.

Two of them are eating pop-tarts and peanut butter most of the time. Two of them are eating no flour or sugar, lots of grains and potatoes and olive oil. All of them are highly performant out there, hiking up to 30 miles a day along the Continental Divide.

The younger guy on his pop-tart and peanut butter diet shows no signs of emaciation. He has hiked 10,000 miles in the past two years. His body weight is totally normal.

The one young lady on the pop-tart and peanut butter plan has more body fat than she ought to for such exertion. She has visible fat pads on her upper arms and belly.

The two older hikers on the no grains and sugar diets both show signs of weight loss. They are thinner than when they began although they are not to the point of sunken cheeks or out-right emaciation yet, although they are close.

A few years ago I was a pop-tart and peanut butter long distance hiker and I gained weight after a couple thousand miles of it. This time I was a no grains hiker and I lost weight on only 5 days of hiking.

No amount of Chaco's bold text and exclamation points can wipe out the pure observation and personal experience of myself and my friends. There is something to the quality of your calories, especially for those of us with metabolic syndrome or similar issues.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    So to sum this thead up in a sentance: To lose weight you need a calorie deficit, how easy that is to achive and mantain depends on many factors including; what you eat, what you do and who you are geneticaly and personally
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLB0404 View Post
    I've found this thread really insightful thanks!

There are 3 points I'm taking away from this:
    1. Calories DO matter
    2. It's so incredibly hard to determine exactly where the maintenance and deficit zones are (it's not as simple as using an internet formula and even through keeping calories constant for a month and weighing yourself every day you probably won't get an accurate result due to the fact that the scale should not be the only measurement used!)
    3. Yes, you need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight but it's important that you do this while still consuming real, whole foods.

All other points (role of exercise, validity of measurements etc) I think fall under point 2... is there anything I'm forgetting?
    YUP....u got it

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Magnolia-

If you think 1200 cal is 'hard,' try doing 900 cal to lose. Age and medical issues required that from me, and guess what I discovered? If I'm eating at my body's requirements (rather than what I'd like to be its requirements), I can be satisfied.

Was I ever hungry? Yes. But what I discovered is that true, physical hunger is not very uncomfortable. What's difficult are the 'cravings' that we create ourselves in our minds. Once I realized that and learned to control them, eating at a level that allowed me to lose weight was possible. These days I can only eat about 1,100 cal to maintain (my doctor agrees), but, again, my body is totally satisfied with this caloric level. I'm never truly hungry. It's my 'mind' that wants to eat more.
    YUP

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Yeah, lol, we are pros at controlling hunger... I kind of like the feeling of being a little hungry. But it is the nutritional stuff I worry about. I want fruit for a reason other than being "out of control" or a "sugar addict". I don't want a candy bar or a soda. I think I want the fruit because of the vitamins and minerals.

I don't know- maybe my solution lies in supplements and reduced calories.

My other thought is that nightshades are stalling me. I have always gotten heartburn from tomatoes. Back when I was losing it was winter/spring, so no consumption of tomatoes. But the past few months have been tomatoes, eggplant and peppers. But again, le sigh... they are veggies I enjoy. Seriously, must a stew of eggplant and tomato and garlic be yet another thing I "can't have".

Sorry for the vent- it's just depressing. I just want to eat and enjoy whole foods. I have exactly zero desire to eat processed foods or junk foods. I just want the ability to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables and NOT BE fat.
    There has to be something more than you getting fat from eating fruits and veggies...unless you are overeating on the fruits - which again goes to the CICO model. I am sorry but unless you have been diagnosed with some medical condition i find it extremely hard to believe that eating vegetables ALONE will make u fat. You are obviously eating some form of added protein.

I am 5 feet tall and started watching what i ate when I ballooned to 155 pounds when I quit smoking. I am now 140 - lost 15 pounds but I stalled at 144 for a couple of months while eating primal. I have lost 5 in two weeks just stucking up on fruits and veggies and eating sea food (not fatty meats). I have a feeling eating fatty red meat hinders my weight loss. Anyway I had a Woe is me attitude and experiment with or without wheat, with or withour sugar, with or without seed oils.....just came down to me decreasing fat, eating lean protein (not too lean) and eat lots of vegetables. Again unless u are frying or sauteeing your veggies in butter, i CANNOT see how eating vegetables like eggplants and garlic can EVER make anyone fat.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You may not get fat on eating steamed vegetables but you may stall for under-eating, and get very hungry on low fat and low protein. When I was doing low calorie, high carb low fat with insane exercise load trying to get below 118-120 lbs I ended up binging on Source yogurts (groan). Basically, my weight loss went easy from 150 lbs to about 140 lbs with just walking and cutting out sweets, then I had to up the intensity of the exercise and go to 1.5 hours a day. The next stall was about 128-130 lbs. Then I could not get below 118 lbs with about 3 hours of exercise a day on trying to hit 1300 cals a day (my BMR at the time). The only time I actually managed to go under 118 lbs is on Lyle McDonald's UD 2.0, when I got as low as 114 lbs (which would be 4 days on ~ 1000-1200 cals, 1 day on ~ 1300 cals, 1 day on ~ 2500 cals and 1 day ~ 1800 cals with 4 days of various weight workouts 90 min to 60 min in duration + 30 to 60 min of cardio a day). For a day or so.... then I bounced back to ~ 120 lbs, and holding 122 for dear life on the whole foods atm. Tried 4 Hour Body too, with one day of overeating, 4 days of serious lifting and 1-2 days of sprints and a lot of walking. That is something I might do again, but right now I am not really wanting to be restrictive 6 days a week for the sake of 1 day a week of feasting. I'd rather eat moderately every day and accept being stuck at 122 lbs.

The things that totally did not work for me was Anabolic Diet (no result), Fat Fasts (can't manage over a few hours) and Lean Gains (no result).

Clean Paleo without nuts, fruit and dairy resulted in slow weight loss, but also triggered depression....
    Last edited by Leida; 07-27-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I ate a lot of mushrooms on my backpack trip. We found pounds and pounds of porcinis and other mushrooms. Mushrooms have few calories. Still, they filled me up to overflowing, to the point of not wanting to eat any dessert and wanting to skip breakfast. I think the calories in them matter little. What I mean is, if I didn't know anything about calories because I was living as a wild human, I would probably be eating my fill of mushrooms and I'm betting that my weight would remain unchanged despite them not being particularly calorie-rich. But eventually I would get tired of them and move on to something else.

I think that ignoring calories is not a bad strategy. Instead, pay attention to your hunger and satiety. I noticed on my long drive to my backpack trip that I always felt a little hungry about a half hour after eating but then it went away and I wasn't hungry again for many hours. From now on I will ignore the first sign of hunger and wait it out because it's probably just that initial false hunger.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I ate a lot of mushrooms on my backpack trip. We found pounds and pounds of porcinis and other mushrooms. Mushrooms have few calories. Still, they filled me up to overflowing, to the point of not wanting to eat any dessert and wanting to skip breakfast. I think the calories in them matter little. What I mean is, if I didn't know anything about calories because I was living as a wild human, I would probably be eating my fill of mushrooms and I'm betting that my weight would remain unchanged despite them not being particularly calorie-rich. But eventually I would get tired of them and move on to something else.

I think that ignoring calories is not a bad strategy. Instead, pay attention to your hunger and satiety. I noticed on my long drive to my backpack trip that I always felt a little hungry about a half hour after eating but then it went away and I wasn't hungry again for many hours. From now on I will ignore the first sign of hunger and wait it out because it's probably just that initial false hunger.
    I used to love eating mushrooms and going for hikes. My mushrooms were the psychedelic kind though.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I ate a lot of mushrooms on my backpack trip. We found pounds and pounds of porcinis and other mushrooms. Mushrooms have few calories. Still, they filled me up to overflowing, to the point of not wanting to eat any dessert and wanting to skip breakfast.
    I love picking wild mushrooms, and this year I would like to start looking for places near Calgary where you can pick mushrooms. So far I was thinking that everywhere here is some sort of a national park or private land where you can't just go and forage for mushrooms, and I am really scared of bears, because the wilderness is real here compared to where I grew up.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Another thing I've noticed about this thread: if calorie charts are mostly bunk and calorie counting programs are so wildly unprecise what the heck ?? How on earths a person supposed to follow CICO anyways, GOSH!
    Stop ruining my life and eating all my steak!
    Ah, Napoleon Dynamite...such a special place in my heart.

Use Katch-McArdle and buy a BodyBugg, if desired, for cross reference. They will likely be pretty close (~5% if I recall off the top of my head). I would be willing to bet that a lot of folks severely underestimate their TDEE on here...

This should get you a baseline for testing. Adjust +/- as required...

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'd love to hear people's thoughts.
    Although you have a tendency to spout pseudo-scientific drivel on occasion, you were spot on with this one. Kudos!
    Last edited by StackingPlates; 07-27-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast