Page 49 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgette Redux: A new primal journal page 49

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The shred is pretty easy. I do have to take some breaks while doing it but I was able to complete it today.
    Georgette

I need a little help with something. I'm trying to decide if I should get a membership at a gym in town ($30/month), the Y ($44 individual, $75 family) which is a 15-20 minute drive from home or just continue to workout at home in cramped quarters and get trampled on by people and dogs and purchase equipment as needed? Thoughts, advice?
    Georgette

canio6 Guest
    Get the gym membership but do not sign a long term contract until you know you will commit. Many gyms offer a discount if you sign up for a year or whatever. It isn't a discount if you end up paying for 9 months you don't use. (not that you will do this but many people do). Or the Y sounds like a deal if you are willing to make the drive or is that $44 a month?

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I like my local gym for getting to know my neighbors. Do they both have pool facilities?

This is how hole in the wall the local gym is. It's located in an old $.05 and dime store. The Y is $44/month for an individual.
    Georgette

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    If they'll let you, try one month at one place and one month at the other, see which one works best.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Good idea NK.

Yeah, maybe. IDK. The Y is about 5-8 minutes from work and they have a pool, the place in town has cardio machines and weights, that's it.
    Georgette

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Yeah, maybe. IDK. The Y is about 5-8 minutes from work and they have a pool, the place in town has cardio machines and weights, that's it.
    I like Naiad's suggestion, but really the best gym/value is the one you will use. The Y is more expensive but if you can/will stop there on the way to/from work then it is great. If the gym in town is located conveniently enough that you will go then perhaps that is a better option due to the price. Of course, if you plan to swim then the place in town would be useless.

When I lost weight before joining the Army a major part of it was the gym. I found one (a tiny, small, ugly one) which was between the school and home. It had some weights and maybe 6 cardio machines. It was also $10 a month. Given the cheap price and the fact I had no excuse not to go (I had to drive right past it) it worked well for me. If I go home first I can find 1000 excuses not to go back out to the gym. So for me location is the key. It is a matter of evaluating what is most important for you.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I like Naiad's suggestion, but really the best gym/value is the one you will use. The Y is more expensive but if you can/will stop there on the way to/from work then it is great. If the gym in town is located conveniently enough that you will go then perhaps that is a better option due to the price. Of course, if you plan to swim then the place in town would be useless.

When I lost weight before joining the Army a major part of it was the gym. I found one (a tiny, small, ugly one) which was between the school and home. It had some weights and maybe 6 cardio machines. It was also $10 a month. Given the cheap price and the fact I had no excuse not to go (I had to drive right past it) it worked well for me. If I go home first I can find 1000 excuses not to go back out to the gym. So for me location is the key. It is a matter of evaluating what is most important for you.
    I keep thinking the one in town may be winning. There is hardly anyone there and its open 24/7. Plus, when the bankruptcy is dismissed this October, I can afford something more (especially with Clint getting a raise of $5/hr more).
    Georgette

Page 49 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast