Page 147 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147
Results 1,461 to 1,468 of 1468

Thread: Georgette Redux: A new primal journal page 147

  1. #1461
    marcadav's Avatar
    marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,173
    Primal Fuel
    Your TSH is not low. It has a inverse relationship. A high TSH may indicate low thyroid hormone production. A low TSH may indicate high thyroid production.

    How long have you been off the prednisone? Prednisone can impact glucose levels and thyroid.

    If you are concerned about thyroid I'd ask for free T4 and free T3 to be tested. Those tests would give a clearer picture of your thyroid function.

    If glucose is a concern the an HbA1c test would be helpful by looking at your average BGL over 3 months.

  2. #1462
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    10,782
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Your TSH is not low. It has a inverse relationship. A high TSH may indicate low thyroid hormone production. A low TSH may indicate high thyroid production.

    How long have you been off the prednisone? Prednisone can impact glucose levels and thyroid.

    If you are concerned about thyroid I'd ask for free T4 and free T3 to be tested. Those tests would give a clearer picture of your thyroid function.

    If glucose is a concern the an HbA1c test would be helpful by looking at your average BGL over 3 months.
    I've been off prednisone since the end of November. Where would you my thyroid is then? Do you think it is something I should be concerned with?
    Last edited by geostump; 02-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Georgette

  3. #1463
    marcadav's Avatar
    marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I've been of prednisone since the end of November. Where would you my thyroid is then? Do you think it is something I should be concerned with?
    I don't like looking only at TSH for determining thyroid function as it is a pituitary hormone that signals the thyroid to release hormones. I like testing actual thyroid hormones.

    It seems your lab uses old normal references range(.45-4.50). In 2003 it was recommended that the normal range be changed to (.3-3.0) Given that reference range your TSH is at the higher end of that range. However it is important to note that TSH can flucuate up to 3 full points in a day.

    My question is, Are you experiencing symptoms of thyroid disease?
    Hypothyroidism Risk/Symptoms Checklist

    If you are, then I'd recommend getting free T4 and free T3 tested.

    I can't say if you should be concerned. I will say that if I were you and had/have been taking prednisone, multiple times and/or over a long period, I would stay aware that prednisone can impact thyroid. If I had symptoms of thyroid disease I would definitely get free T4 and free T3 tested.

  4. #1464
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    10,782
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I don't like looking only at TSH for determining thyroid function as it is a pituitary hormone that signals the thyroid to release hormones. I like testing actual thyroid hormones.

    It seems your lab uses old normal references range(.45-4.50). In 2003 it was recommended that the normal range be changed to (.3-3.0) Given that reference range your TSH is at the higher end of that range. However it is important to note that TSH can flucuate up to 3 full points in a day.

    My question is, Are you experiencing symptoms of thyroid disease?
    Hypothyroidism Risk/Symptoms Checklist

    If you are, then I'd recommend getting free T4 and free T3 tested.

    I can't say if you should be concerned. I will say that if I were you and had/have been taking prednisone, multiple times and/or over a long period, I would stay aware that prednisone can impact thyroid. If I had symptoms of thyroid disease I would definitely get free T4 and free T3 tested.
    The only symptom that popped up was the autoimmune disorder. I was diagnosed PCOS in 2007 even though I've been told it is a very mild case.
    Georgette

  5. #1465
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    10,782
    I am thinking I may be finished with MDA. I don't feel like I have anything more to add or take from here. I'm tired of worrying about my weight. My mind and body are too wired for stress to make a decent weight loss even possible. I'm embracing my inner fat chick and moving on. I'm learning how to accept her and love her and, it's making me feel happy. I may come back periodically for a visit, but this is my closing post. I wish everyone the very best.

    Georgette
    Georgette

  6. #1466
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    S. Arizona
    Posts
    11,509
    All the best to you too Geo. We'll miss you, and I know I, for one, will look forward to any periodic visits.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

    What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

  7. #1467
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    11,967
    Geo, that sounds like a good mentality you are working on. I wish you health, happiness, and peace of mind!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  8. #1468
    Pebbles67's Avatar
    Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York
    Posts
    9,382
    Oh no. I will miss you dear friend. Good luck. Please keep in touch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •