Page 147 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147
Results 1,461 to 1,468 of 1468

Thread: Georgette Redux: A new primal journal page 147

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Your TSH is not low. It has a inverse relationship. A high TSH may indicate low thyroid hormone production. A low TSH may indicate high thyroid production.

How long have you been off the prednisone? Prednisone can impact glucose levels and thyroid.

If you are concerned about thyroid I'd ask for free T4 and free T3 to be tested. Those tests would give a clearer picture of your thyroid function.

If glucose is a concern the an HbA1c test would be helpful by looking at your average BGL over 3 months.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Your TSH is not low. It has a inverse relationship. A high TSH may indicate low thyroid hormone production. A low TSH may indicate high thyroid production.

How long have you been off the prednisone? Prednisone can impact glucose levels and thyroid.

If you are concerned about thyroid I'd ask for free T4 and free T3 to be tested. Those tests would give a clearer picture of your thyroid function.

If glucose is a concern the an HbA1c test would be helpful by looking at your average BGL over 3 months.
    I've been off prednisone since the end of November. Where would you my thyroid is then? Do you think it is something I should be concerned with?
    Last edited by geostump; 02-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Georgette

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I've been of prednisone since the end of November. Where would you my thyroid is then? Do you think it is something I should be concerned with?
    I don't like looking only at TSH for determining thyroid function as it is a pituitary hormone that signals the thyroid to release hormones. I like testing actual thyroid hormones.

It seems your lab uses old normal references range(.45-4.50). In 2003 it was recommended that the normal range be changed to (.3-3.0) Given that reference range your TSH is at the higher end of that range. However it is important to note that TSH can flucuate up to 3 full points in a day.

My question is, Are you experiencing symptoms of thyroid disease?
    Hypothyroidism Risk/Symptoms Checklist

If you are, then I'd recommend getting free T4 and free T3 tested.

I can't say if you should be concerned. I will say that if I were you and had/have been taking prednisone, multiple times and/or over a long period, I would stay aware that prednisone can impact thyroid. If I had symptoms of thyroid disease I would definitely get free T4 and free T3 tested.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I don't like looking only at TSH for determining thyroid function as it is a pituitary hormone that signals the thyroid to release hormones. I like testing actual thyroid hormones.

It seems your lab uses old normal references range(.45-4.50). In 2003 it was recommended that the normal range be changed to (.3-3.0) Given that reference range your TSH is at the higher end of that range. However it is important to note that TSH can flucuate up to 3 full points in a day.

My question is, Are you experiencing symptoms of thyroid disease?
    Hypothyroidism Risk/Symptoms Checklist

If you are, then I'd recommend getting free T4 and free T3 tested.

I can't say if you should be concerned. I will say that if I were you and had/have been taking prednisone, multiple times and/or over a long period, I would stay aware that prednisone can impact thyroid. If I had symptoms of thyroid disease I would definitely get free T4 and free T3 tested.
    The only symptom that popped up was the autoimmune disorder. I was diagnosed PCOS in 2007 even though I've been told it is a very mild case.
    Georgette

I am thinking I may be finished with MDA. I don't feel like I have anything more to add or take from here. I'm tired of worrying about my weight. My mind and body are too wired for stress to make a decent weight loss even possible. I'm embracing my inner fat chick and moving on. I'm learning how to accept her and love her and, it's making me feel happy. I may come back periodically for a visit, but this is my closing post. I wish everyone the very best.

Georgette
    Georgette

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    All the best to you too Geo. We'll miss you, and I know I, for one, will look forward to any periodic visits.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Geo, that sounds like a good mentality you are working on. I wish you health, happiness, and peace of mind!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Oh no. I will miss you dear friend. Good luck. Please keep in touch.