Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 3 wks primal = 6lb gain? page

Oxboy is offline Junior Member

First 3 wks primal = 6lb gain?

Trying primal pretty rigorously or 3 weeks now. Anybody ever experience initial weight gain before your body "gets the message"?

gone from 215 to 221 lbs.

What is my regimen?

No alcohol
    No diet drinks or sweeteners
    No caffeine
    No grains
    No sugar
    No bread, no rice, no cereal, no sweets

Salads out the ass (literally)
    Lean meats, some nuts
    Light fruit
    Light exercise
    Carbs around 75-100g per day

I "feel" thinner and I know that scales can't be trustworthy sometimes, but I got a big WTF moment when I weighed in for the first time since starting. I wasn't expecting to drop 10lbs but maybe 3 or 4 since starting?

What do I have 10lbs of crap in me? Been crapping regularly.

Perplexed. Any thoughts?

BrodieMN is offline Member
    I know people are more calorie counters on here, but for me, my carbs need to be in the <50 range to lose. Everybody is different. Who knows, maybe you gained muscle?

cookiemonster is offline Member
    this is hard to believe.
    What makes up your typical "out of the ass" salads?
    What kind of light fruit?
    How many meals a day and how often do you snack?
    How light is your exercise regiment?
    Where are those carbs coming from?
    Peace

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Do you look different? Are your clothes fitting differently? Are you lifting weights? What is your exact exercise regime? As BrodieMN mentioned calorie counting, it may help to fully understand what you are eating.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Calories do matter, so if you're eating too much you will gain. But I'd take measurements and go by those rather than the scale.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Would you mind posting exactly what you ate (including quantity) over the past 72 hours? Let's have a look.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    3 weeks is a pretty small sample size... a simple thing like water retention can cause someone's weight to fluctuate as much as ten pounds in a day. My point: don't get discouraged so quickly because of the scale, which is just an arbitrary collection of numbers.

Also, overall calories determines whether or not you'll lose weight, not how many g of carbs you eat in a day

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

Forgot...

Oxboy,

I am doing a fitness challenge at my gym, so I happened to be measure/weighed about the same time I started PB (gym was doing a modified 'Caveman' diet but I chose what is advocated here). I was measured again today, after 3 weeks on the primal diet. I've gained 2lbs AND my body fat went up 1% (inaccurate scale measurement... but *still* geez). I also feel 'thinner'. What I can tell you is this: I've lost THREE inches in my waistline, 1/2" off hips, 1/2" in each calf, 1" in thigh and gained 1" in my chest and 1/2" in the upper arms.

After a 5 month hiatus at the gym (injuries; that darned inflammation), I started interval training again. That explains some of the measurements, but the waist is all Primal. Like you, I had expected at least no weight gain.

So, I say go by how you feel. I'm expecting things to level out as I grow more accustomed to this lifestyle. I'll be interested in how you are over the next 3-6 weeks. I've followed the PB about 90/10, except I'm a dark chocoholic (70%+). No alcohol, diet drinks, caffeine, bread/grains. Meat hasn't always been lean and I haven't been paying any attention to portions. My next step is to pay attention to how much I am eating.

Pam

p.s. forgot to add I do not need to lose weight. I'm 5'3" and now weigh 119lbs. I'm OK with that as long as I'm losing body fat.
    Last edited by PHaselow; 07-25-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: add info

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to point out what Mark said in the recent post on fat adaptation--one of the things you may need to do is eat more fat. It can help with satiety and clue your body in that this is the fuel of choice (not a scientific explanation, I know...). After all, you want to be losing fat, not muscle, right? The other thing I noticed before I had enough fat and protein was that I would be hungry more often, so even though I was eating the right things, I wound up snacking a lot on nuts, which are calorie bombs. Looking closer at my macros, I found that I was not eating quite enough protein for my activity, and once I got that up to the right amount, my appetite really came under control.

twich55 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    oxboy i'm in the same boat, the fist week i lost eight pounds and the next ten days nothing( i even gained two back) even though i have been very srtict with my habbits; nothing processed, no sugar, and grass fed beef, or free range poultry. although my pants fit a little better. the weight has maintained a constant. this also happened to me when i upped my excercise regiment at first i lost 16 pounds then i hit a plataue, i think this is typical for my body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast